Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

Scuffle Talk

18 minutes ago, Full Nelson said:

I agree.   It occurred to me watching the Midlands semis and finals yesterday that the talent was better than any conference tournament besides the Big Ten.    We get spoiled every spring by the spectacle of the Big Ten tourney and then NCAA feast.     If you like college wrestling a lot, you get to see a lot of great match-ups at Midlands and scuffle.  I'm psyched.

What has come to suck is most dual meets.  Wrestling has forever been top-heavy, but now it seems like the top 5 teams are WAY out ahead.   All the great wrestlers are starting at or transferring to a tiny pool of teams.  Most duals don't have many exciting matchups.    Only the handful of meets between the top tier teams are exciting.

Or transferring to.....

What is good for athletes is bad for all but the most elite teams.

Btw, brackets are out in floarena.

2014 Scuffle. 34 teams plus some unattached guys. 

Top 20 teams in order.

Penn State
Oklahoma State
Minnesota
Cornell
Missouri
Virginia
Kent State
Iowa State
Oregon State
Old Dominion
Pittsburg
Air Force
Central Michigan
Boston
Ohio
Chattanooga
Hofstra
North Carolina
Pennsylvania
Stanford

Brackets ... https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/44c2f2ae-8a0d-40cf-9bac-2b52230245d5

The PSU freshman Joe Lee and Carter Starocci have really nice draws. I have Joe Lee getting to Fogarty in the round of 16 and if he wins that he gets Wentzel who has some very nice wins this year. Starocci should get to a quarterfinal with Spencer Carey who Mark Hall pinned with a body lock to his back in November. After that if he wins its probably Grello from Rutgers.

Michael Beard has a tougher draw where he'd have to go thru Nick Reenan, then Nathan Traxler then to Dakota Geer, but let's see what happens. 

On 12/31/2019 at 12:21 PM, Bronco said:

I see Stanford has five wrestlers in the pre-seeds included one as the # 1 seed and two more as the # 2 seed at their respective weight classes.

125 lbs - Gabe Townsell # 4 seed

141 lbs - Real Woods - # 3 seed

149 lbs - Require van der Merwe - # 2 seed

165 lbs - Shane Griffith - # 1 seed

197 lbs - Nathan Traxler - # 2 seed

When I wrote this van der Merwe was the # 2 seed at 149 lbs but I looked yesterday and this morning, and for reasons unknown to me, he apparently was bumped up to the # 1 seed at 149 lbs.  I can't recall who WAS the # 1 seed at 149 lbs on the pre-seeds - but it wasn't van der Merwe.

Require van der Merwe was defeated 4-3 by the # 8 seed (Milner of Appalachian State) in the quarterfinals. 

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

When I wrote this van der Merwe was the # 2 seed at 149 lbs but I looked yesterday and this morning, and for reasons unknown to me, he apparently was bumped up to the # 1 seed at 149 lbs.  I can't recall who WAS the # 1 seed at 149 lbs on the pre-seeds - but it wasn't van der Merwe.

Require van der Merwe was defeated 4-3 by the # 8 seed (Milner of Appalachian State) in the quarterfinals. 

Boo Lewallen?

9 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Boo Lewallen?

Apparently getting it wrong and calling him Bo Lewallen is not an appropriate mistake to make.

Good on you for not making my mistake(s).

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Apparently getting it wrong and calling him Bo Lewallen is not an appropriate mistake to make.

Good on you for not making my mistake(s).

People like to split hairs around here.  Miss one little 'O' and you get eviscerated!  It was probably Boo's dad.  Understandably, he is a bad mood.