HokieHWT

Happy New Year Clowns

30 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

I don’t hate any of you as much as I hate my gun shooting neighbors waking up my infant just now.

1.). Neighbors shooting guns is probably some type of illegality (unless one is in Chicago, but that's a different story).

2.). If you're country, then this is normal behavior, and I question why a.) You're close enough to to hear said fire off and b.) Why you aren't out doing the same.

Happy New year!

2 hours ago, treep2000 said:

1.). Neighbors shooting guns is probably some type of illegality (unless one is in Chicago, but that's a different story).

2.). If you're country, then this is normal behavior, and I question why a.) You're close enough to to hear said fire off and b.) Why you aren't out doing the same.

Happy New year!

If I wasn’t married with kids I’d be throwing gasoline cans into bonfires. I live in the suburbs, you’d think someone would call the cops but everyone just ignores it because it’s New Years. Happens on 4th of July too.

You poor guys, living where you are so crowded.

This morning watched four Bull Elk  walking across the field to the East. Deer between the house and barn. A mink hunting for breakfast - and a Bald Eagle flying by. Yesterday drove 45 miles to the WalMart for Mobil1 to change oil in the Ford Pickup. Had to stop and watch three nice bull moose do a gradual fade into an unharvested Corn field. Quiet and peaceful. Later I think they will be hanging around a yard area protected by some good trees where I generally see about a dozen of them each winter.

Coyotes singing at night is fun to listen to. Spring and fall they are overpowered by the honking of Geese as they migrate through. Big Vee's a mile or more long. They and the ducks make for good times all warm season long. With more than 20 ponds and sloughs within a 2 mile radius, it is a good location for them. Prairie pothole country. Nearest pavement is a few miles away and closest neighbor just a bit over a mile.

Bring able to step out and breathe clean air is nice. Starry skies and when the Northern Lights get going it makes for some amazing nights. Yes, winter is cold and we get some snow. If you can't deal with the cold the Northern Plains are not for you. When we do go to the nearest "big town" (under 3,000)- more than 20 miles away there is not McDonalds or Taco Bell. No WalMart. Locally owned businesses for the most part. John Deere dealer generally has more than $10 million in new machinery on the lot with the Case/IH dealer a bit less. Ford dealer at times has 60 and more new pickups lined up on the curve in the highway that goes through town. The local High School has a good wrestling Coach and a decent team. Kids can start from 7th grade on. Benefits of small schools and sparsly populated States.

NDSU has a decent wrestling team and a good coach. Not Penn State or Iowa, but then who else is? They are pretty proud of their football team. University of Mary and Minot State are not Top Tier programs but do give a good account of themselves on the mat and are closer to us. University of Jamestown has both men and women wrestling teams. 70% of the Student body participates in Sports.  A lot of opportunity in smaller schools.

The Missouri river runs through the State. Some good sized lakes and ton of smaller water. Some of the lakes they do a winter ice contest. Park a vehicle on the ice and folks buy tickets, write in the date and time for when it will fall through the ice in the spring. All winter long - snowmobiles, Cross Country skiing and ice fishing.

So, those who love the cities... keep flying over and let us enjoy the low population. As the song up here says "30 below keeps the riff raff out".

Edited by WillieBoy

3 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

You poor guys, living where you are so crowded.

This morning watched four Bull Elk  walking across the field to the East. Deer between the house and barn. A mink hunting for breakfast - and a Bald Eagle flying by. Yesterday drove 45 miles to the WalMart for Mobil1 to change oil in the Ford Pickup. Had to stop and watch three nice bull moose do a gradual fade into an unharvested Corn field. Quiet and peaceful. Later I think they will be hanging around a yard area protected by some good trees where I generally see about a dozen of them each winter.

Coyotes singing at night is fun to listen to. Spring and fall they are overpowered by the honking of Geese as they migrate through. Big Vee's a mile or more long. They and the ducks make for good times all warm season long. With more than 20 ponds and sloughs within a 2 mile radius, it is a good location for them. Prairie pothole country. Nearest pavement is a few miles away and closest neighbor just a bit over a mile.

Bring able to step out and breathe clean air is nice. Starry skies and when the Northern Lights get going it makes for some amazing nights. Yes, winter is cold and we get some snow. If you can't deal with the cold the Northern Plains are not for you. When we do go to the nearest "big town" (under 3,000)- more than 20 miles away there is not McDonalds or Taco Bell. No WalMart. Locally owned businesses for the most part. John Deere dealer generally has more than $10 million in new machinery on the lot with the Case/IH dealer a bit less. Ford dealer at times has 60 and more new pickups lined up on the curve in the highway that goes through town. The local High School has a good wrestling Coach and a decent team. Kids can start from 7th grade on. Benefits of small schools and sparsly populated States.

NDSU has a decent wrestling team and a good coach. Not Penn State or Iowa, but then who else is? They are pretty proud of their football team. University of Mary and Minot State are not Top Tier programs but do give a good account of themselves on the mat and are closer to us. University of Jamestown has both men and women wrestling teams. 70% of the Student body participates in Sports.  A lot of opportunity in smaller schools.

The Missouri river runs through the State. Some good sized lakes and ton of smaller water. Some of the lakes they do a winter ice contest. Park a vehicle on the ice and folks buy tickets, write in the date and time for when it will fall through the ice in the spring. All winter long - snowmobiles, Cross Country skiing and ice fishing.

So, those who love the cities... keep flying over and let us enjoy the low population. As the song up here says "30 below keeps the riff raff out".

Ain’t no one making any real money in the boonies. I’d love nothing more than to be back in Blacksburg, out on the New River on my boat, in the mountains with my bow. Problem is I’d make 60k less a year.

2 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Ain’t no one making any real money in the boonies. I’d love nothing more than to be back in Blacksburg, out on the New River on my boat, in the mountains with my bow. Problem is I’d make 60k less a year.

There is good money to be made in the boonies sometimes. Remember the Alaska Pipeline? Those guys made bank. From what understand there has been a boom going on in the Dakotas for several years.