TBar1977

Scuffle Day 1 Thread

Just now, nhs67 said:

Unfortunately he will still likely get the 'no real competition' label even if he wins the scuffle.

Bo was supposed to be his test.

He beat 2 time champ Dean Heil at Schultz and also beat Nick Lee and others at Cadet or Junior US Open or World team trials so he has beaten guys. Not folk, but we should already know he is pretty darn good. Then there is the eyeball test which he passes with flying colors. 

He just seems so physically mature for a true frosh too. That's the most impressive part for me.  I was watching his last match and he had a single and tried a couple different finish attempts that got countered before just ragdolling the guy down on the mat.

A lot of times even the best highschool wrestlers struggle with a mid-level D1 competition in their first year or two due to the difference in physicality but that clearly won't be an issue for Alirez.

Edited by lost

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Unfortunately he will still likely get the 'no real competition' label even if he wins the scuffle.

Doesn't matter. He'll get some "real competition" at some point this season I feel like, even if it's March.  Obviously, dude's pretty tough.

8 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Definitely unfortunate.  He has Abas, Finesilver,  and Rohlfling...meh not world beaters but better than what he has seen so far.

1 hour ago, JBluegill133 said:

I think thats Sam Herring.  He is a junior high wrestler who the guys from FRL are really impressed with.  He actually has his own wrestling centered podcast and aparently is extremely knowledgeable.  

Young Sam Herring does a great job.  I'm friends with his uncle, Red Herring.

3 minutes ago, LemonPie said:

Not that Chase Straw is a bad wrestler, but I just don't see it with Julian Ramirez.   

Yeah, that match didn't impress.  You would want your top level recruit to at least be competitive with a mid-level D1 guy like that.  But, it goes back to the physicality piece that I find so impressive about Alirez.  Straw had too much horsepower for Ramirez, which isn't shocking for a true frosh vs an experienced guy.  Still would like to have seen some better offensive attempts though.

Edited by lost

7 minutes ago, Gantry said:

That name just screams a suffix - Thelbert Cornish III

It is btw. I only ever heard of him as Trey Cornish here at Lehigh. So I googled this name when I saw it in the brackets and got his grandfather's obituary from up in NJ. Saw that his son of same name lived in Raleigh. So unless they changed middle names (the initials are the same)...

Not sure why they suddenly started using that name since it's Trey on the Lehigh site and in the OPC. 

And I was trying to figure out how they got Trey from Thelbert. Just now I realized they didn't Trey is from III!

Edited by gimpeltf