LifeintheRed

Congrats Frank, you earned it (question mark)

So, Frank Chamizo was awarded UWW's Wrestler of the Year for 2019. Although not as prestigious an award as this message board's most knowledgeable poster, it means something to be sure. To earn this award, Frank won Euros and Sassari, took a Bronze at Dan Kolov and silver at Yasar Dogu (which he ducked Burroughs in finals) and silver at Worlds.

"I'm happy, but I'm not one-hundred percent happy," Chamizo said after being notified of the honor. "I'm eighty percent happy because I wanted to be world champion. My job is it to be world champion." What he really meant was "I'm happy because I missed the podium at worlds in 2018 and wrestled every ranking event in 2019 so I could get the #1 seed (even after placing 5th) and avoid Burroughs in the semis of Worlds like I did at Dogu. I'm not happy because I then lost in the finals to Sidakov. I'm eighty percent happy because I won this award. I'm not as happy because I definitely didn't deserve it."

Jaden Cox was 2nd and Geno Petriashvilli was third. I kind of feel like FIFA, I mean UWW, is making a mockery of the award by giving it to Chamizo. Who deserves it more?

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/chamizo-lorincz-mensah-named-2019-uww-wrestlers-year

Edited by LifeintheRed

So, Frank Chamizo was awarded UWW's Wrestler of the Year for 2019. Although not as prestigious an award as this message board's most knowledgeable poster, it means something to be sure. To earn this award, Frank won Euros and Sassari, took a Bronze at Dan Kolov and silver at Yasar Dogu (which he ducked Burroughs in finals) and silver at Worlds.
"I'm happy, but I'm not one-hundred percent happy," Chamizo said after being notified of the honor. "I'm eighty percent happy because I wanted to be world champion. My job is it to be world champion." What he really meant was "I'm happy because I missed the podium at worlds in 2018 and wrestled every ranking event in 2019 so I could get the #1 seed (even after placing 5th) and avoid Burroughs in the semis of Worlds. I'm not happy because I then lost in the finals to Sidakov. I'm eighty percent happy because I won this award. I'm not as happy because I definitely didn't deserve it."
Jaden Cox was 2nd and Geno Petriashvilli was third. I kind of feel like FIFA, I mean UWW, is making a mockery of the award by giving it to Chamizo. Who deserves it more?
https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/chamizo-lorincz-mensah-named-2019-uww-wrestlers-year

Dont be oddly salty.
He lost to Sidakov in a nail biter and Burroughs on criteria to finish 5th at the previous worlds.

He then wrestled enough events to earn enough points to put those 2 hammers on the same side (they easily could have also entered the events but chose not to, maybe they were "ducking"... lol at that stupid term) which was a very smart play.

He made the World Finals and again lost to the Sidakov who has elevated his status to the clutchest dude out there.

The award was for year long greatness, it's not the "Outstanding wrestler" award for the World Championships Tournament.

Anyways congrats Frank, Jden, & Geno.
Glad you got some recognition :)

#Cheers

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Dont be oddly salty.
He lost to Sidakov in a nail biter and Burroughs on criteria to finish 5th at the previous worlds.

He then wrestled enough events to earn enough points to put those 2 hammers on the same side (they easily could have also entered the events but chose not to, maybe they were "ducking"... lol at that stupid term) which was a very smart play.

He made the World Finals and again lost to the Sidakov who has elevated his status to the clutchest dude out there.

The award was for year long greatness, it's not the "Outstanding wrestler" award for the World Championships Tournament.

Anyways congrats Frank, Jden, & Geno.
Glad you got some recognition :)

#Cheers

Given the parameters you mention above, I feel (opinion) a better candidate would be Bajrang. Nobody wrestled more in 2019 than he did. Reining world runner-up, he won Gold at Asians, Aliyev, Kolov and wrestled at Grapple at the Garden. He also got Bronze at Worlds in arguably the deepest weight class. 

Given the parameters you mention above, I feel (opinion) a better candidate would be Bajrang. Nobody wrestled more in 2019 than he did. Reining world runner-up, he won Gold at Asians, Aliyev, Kolov and wrestled at Grapple at the Garden. He also got Bronze at Worlds in arguably the deepest weight class. 

Maybe. I wouldnt have been opposed to him!

To avoid controversy, they come up with a mathematical formula to select the winner.  There is no opinion to attack, one can only fault the formula.

Based on the outcome, I would tinker with the formula if I were them.

14 hours ago, LifeintheRed said:

And pretty much got robbed in the semis (even if the top half of that bracket might as well have been wrestling in a different tournament).

I'm interested in the award criteria, and I know it's WOTY (not just October), but off the top of my head, I'm surprised it didn't go to a world champion.

6 hours ago, whaletail said:

And pretty much got robbed in the semis (even if the top half of that bracket might as well have been wrestling in a different tournament).

I'm interested in the award criteria, and I know it's WOTY (not just October), but off the top of my head, I'm surprised it didn't go to a world champion.

Strictly based off points from ranking series events, continentals, and world’s. 

I wouldn't give it to anyone who didn't win worlds but they're obviously trying to incentive participation in their ranking tournaments. The financial reward is pretty good by wrestling standards actually. Especially for some places where the wrestlers get paid very little. Did UWW advertise this at all before giving it out? 

1 minute ago, Shiraz123 said:

I wouldn't give it to anyone who didn't win worlds but they're obviously trying to incentive participation in their ranking tournaments. The financial reward is pretty good by wrestling standards actually. Especially for some places where the wrestlers get paid very little. Did UWW advertise this at all before giving it out? 

In the video posted where Chamizo got the call, he looked very surprised, so I don't believe they did.  And I do like that they are trying to bring incentive to get athletes to these events.  And being there is 30 grand at stake (and UWW is saying they are looking to increase this next year)...I mean if I'm Sidakov and wrestled one less tournament during the season.....  Its a great program, would just like to see them add more weight to a world gold.  

In sorry, spladle. This award is now officially a joke. Anybody who didn’t win worlds should no get the award. I hate to say it’s really that simple, but it is. 
Always respect your opinion nerd. But yeah maybe theyll tweak the criteria to be *most ranking points of the Gold medalists

But for now he got it. No biggie, see what next year brings!

2 hours ago, spladle08 said:

Always respect your opinion nerd. But yeah maybe theyll tweak the criteria to be *most ranking points of the Gold medalists

But for now he got it. No biggie, see what next year brings!

The interesting thing was this year they changed it to the WOY did NOT have to be a world champ, and I believe they also added the cash prize this year as well.

18 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The interesting thing was this year they changed it to the WOY did NOT have to be a world champ, and I believe they also added the cash prize this year as well.

I heard they changed it after Worlds just so they could give it to Frank! lol!

Interestingly enough, Burroughs actually had a better record and beat Chamizo twice head to head (I count the forfeit as a loss for Chamizo). Their records in 2019 were 23-2 and 18-3 respectively.

J'den is tough because he was undefeated last year at 13-0-obviously not having as many matches. What's wild is he outscored his opponents 96-2 in those 13 matches.

56 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So you're saying that the wrestler of the year is not the same as the best wrestler of a single two-day tournament, albeit the most important tournament in the world. Because if that's the case then it really makes sense. I guess I could get behind that as long as they use some basic equation where any and all competitors have an equal chance to have the most points across a 365 day period. I hope that's what they did.

15 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

So you're saying that the wrestler of the year is not the same as the best wrestler of a single two-day tournament, albeit the most important tournament in the world. Because if that's the case then it really makes sense. I guess I could get behind that as long as they use some basic equation where any and all competitors have an equal chance to have the most points across a 365 day period. I hope that's what they did.

All correct. 

On 1/2/2020 at 2:58 PM, Jon_Kozak said:

Interestingly enough, Burroughs actually had a better record and beat Chamizo twice head to head (I count the forfeit as a loss for Chamizo). Their records in 2019 were 23-2 and 18-3 respectively.

J'den is tough because he was undefeated last year at 13-0-obviously not having as many matches. What's wild is he outscored his opponents 96-2 in those 13 matches.

Caveat: Burroughs wrestles in a much more difficult weight class.