jross

Best wrestler names

41 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Some good names in the scuffle .... Wilder Wichman....Scout Skidgel 

From Scuffle Day 1 post

A name is a powerful thing.  Reading the names on a bracket creates the first perception about how tough the wrestling match will be.  It is easier to envision winning against 'Kennedy' and 'Taylor' than it is against 'Thor' and 'Maximus.'  Can you imagine the fear on learning your opponent's name is Macho Man Randy Savage or Hulk Hogan?  What are some of the toughest real names that you have observed and why do you consider them tough?  Also, did/would you pick a tough name for your child based on the psychological advantage?

Checked out this cracked.com article on the 9 manliest names for inspiration.  (Max Fightmaster, Richard (Dick) Pound, Magnus Ver Magnusson,  Duncan Steel, Powers Boothe, etc).

9 minutes ago, insidecradle said:

NYS high school champ from the early 80’s was named Matt King

Similarly, Matt Boss :).  I assume that Matt King was impossible to take down --- he couldn't lose his 'King of the Mat' title.  

6 minutes ago, jross said:

Similarly, Matt Boss :).  I assume that Matt King was impossible to take down --- he couldn't lose his 'King of the Mat' title.  

I assumed Matt King was the guy who could never get off bottom.  

Here are a few names I found crawling through 80/90s Kansas state kid's tourney results.

• Steve Wall (how to take down a wall)
  • Michael Porsch (he must be fast)
  • Wes Harding (not going to be easy --- imagine if the first name was Rocco or Rocky)
  • Tiger Lomaster (animal)
  • Killer Franks (killer - is this real?  i just peed down my leg with fear.)
  • Bob Burr (sounds irritating)
  • K. Work (not going to be easy)

18 minutes ago, ionel said:

I assumed Matt King was the guy who could never get off bottom.  

In my wrestling room, two challengers would compete for a take down.  The winner was "King of the mat" and took on the next challenger.  The winner would take on the next challenger until the last and largest challenger had participated.

7 minutes ago, jross said:

In my wrestling room, two challengers would compete for a take down.  The winner was "King of the mat" and took on the next challenger.  The winner would take on the next challenger until the last and largest challenger had participated.

Wouldn’t that be the Takedown King?

6 minutes ago, jross said:

Well sure ... If his name was King Owen Matt ... but we are talking about Matt King here.  ;)

Kid back in college for a small program in Nebraska was named Myles Butt. 

He seemed like a cool dude, but I imagine elementary school was tough for those kids. It makes me wonder why they never changed the family name. I guess they were just proud to be Butts.

Edited by russelscout

When my wife was pregnant with our first child in 2008, we made a list of 100 names.  For boys, I specifically suggested (half-jokingly) that we should brainstorm manly names that would intimidate his wrestling opponents.  Some names were cherry picked for consideration to this discussion :).   

• Cannon (baseball - strong arm)
  • Canyon
  • Catcher (baseball)
  • Charger (action)
  • Diesel (thinking about semi trucks)
  • Edge (he's sharp, he has an edge over his opponents)
  • Fierce (tuff)
  • Furious ("Fury" for short)
  • Nash (teeth)
  • Pierce 
  • Rocco (rock tuff)
  • Shute ("You can't hold your mud.  You're a bleeder and I like to see blood.")
  • Steele (hard metal)
  • Tuff (tough)
  • Wyatt or Weston or Wesley (country name and the initials would spell 'WAR')

Going through the exercise was too much fun.  Some friends added more considerations.

• Colonel
  • Immortal
  • Maddog
  • Mufasa
  • Tenacious ('Tenac' for short)
  • Ravishing

After having two daughters, I was able to make use of the list for my son.  Ultimately, I broke a multi-generation tradition of using 'Allen' as the middle-name and went with Bronson Steele.  If he develops a passion for wrestling, his name on the wrestling bracket could list Bronson, Bronco, Bronx, or Steele.  

Edited by jross