Sign in to follow this  
BTC

Old school freestyle, Lee Kemp vs Russain Jr world champ

Found this hidden gem on Lee Kemps youtube page. If this is indeed freestyle, it's crazy to see how similar it was to our folk style. Virtually identical from what I can see. As Americans we have to stop being so hard on ourselves as far as the whole free vs folk debate goes as it appears that they used to be one and the same. Maybe some of the older gents can shed some light on this. To add some context to the video, from what I can gather. Markovich was part of a Russian Jr team sent to the US to face the all star teams of various states. They went 83-4 while in the US. Two of their defeats came by the hands of two Ohio boys, one of them being the great Lee Kemp. I was curious to see if Alexander Markovich(Kemps opponent) had any noteworthy senior level accomplishments but I couldn't find anything other than him being a Russian nationals champ and JR world champ. 

Happy new year folks.

thank goodness for the step out rule was exactly what i was thinking. Obviously he never would've backed out of the circle had the rules been different...But Kemp probably backed out or got pushed out ~ 5 times, i didn't count.

Kemp is certainly one of the greats.

2 hours ago, Bozak2018 said:

I'm not sure what makes the OP think that was identical to folkstyle.  Don't see that at all.

Lack of a step out rule. The way lee is able to score points with what looks like a traditional folkstyle ride. No exposure points scored by turning the opponent over and over like in modern freestyle. Every takedown in this match the scoring wrestler had control of the opponent just like its required in folkstyle. It's really not that difficult to see. 

Edited by BTC
Typo

He didn't begin wrestling until he was in high school.  He beat Dan Gable in 76 when he was a freshman in college.  He obviously improved like all of us for at least 10 solid years, but here he had only been on the mat 2-3 years.  Incredible.

The announcer (Brian Brakeman, I think?) said in the beginning that Kemp was a 2-time state champ, so that means this was after his senior year and he would have been wrestling for about 4 years. 

There should be no doubt that Kemp would have done well in whatever era he was dropped into.  He has always had an incredibly high wrestling (and general) IQ which, coupled with his exceptional athleticism, makes him the type of wrestler that withstands the test of time.  His wrestling achievements still rank among the best ever for the US, despite arguably (probably) being robbed of what would have been two of his greatest accomplishments: (i) a fourth NCAA title which he lost on a referees' decision his true freshman year after overtime and having the only take down in the match; and (ii) a gold medal at the 1980 Olympics he didn't get to win when he was one of the biggest favorites we have had going into an Olympic games. 

Edited by Broomstick

On 1/4/2020 at 2:24 PM, Broomstick said:

: (i) a fourth NCAA title which he lost on a referee's decision his true freshman year after overtime and having the only take down in the match; 

it was a split decision (2-1) This was the first of my 45 straight NCAAs, and I remember thinking the better wrestler lost.