Bronco

Arizona State at Ohio State - Next Monday on Fox Sports1

3 hours ago, klehner said:

How many matches does he get credit for?  Two or four?

• Champ. Round 1 - Jordan Decatur (Ohio State) received a bye () (Bye)
  • Champ. Round 2 - Jordan Decatur (Ohio State) won by tech fall over Austin Almaguer (Campbell University) (TF 16-0)
  • Quarterfinal - Jordan Decatur (Ohio State) won by medical forfeit over Ty Agaisse (Princeton University) (MFF)
  • Semifinal - Jordan Decatur (Ohio State) won by medical forfeit over Darby Diedrich (Brown University) (MFF)
  • 1st Place Match - Jordan Decatur (Ohio State) won by major decision over Sam Book (University of Virginia) (Maj 14-5)

Saw this posted on another forum:

"... From the NCAA rule book:

Art. 12. Medical Forfeit. A medical forfeit is an action that allows a competitor
who fails medical exams, is injured, or becomes ill during the course of
tournament competition to forfeit their match(es) without having to weigh in
(see Rule 9.1.8 for medical forfeit and weigh-ins for national qualifying events)
or show up at the mat. In tournament competition, medical forfeits advance in
a bracket until they meet an opponent.

a. In order for a medical forfeit to be official, the medical personnel, or
an authorized institutional representative, shall inform the tournament
director before the ill or injured competitor is called to the mat.

b. Medical forfeits count as a win for the opponent and do not count as a
loss for the forfeiting wrestler. Even though medical forfeits do not count
as a loss, they must be placed on the wrestler's ISRF. Individuals who
medically forfeit a match retain all previous team points scored."

Which seems, on its face, to say that they do count as wins...

And, having wrestled only two matches today, Decatur should be good to go monday!

Edited by PABuck

4 hours ago, treep2000 said:

I imagine only two... Which sucks for JD, since the entire purpose was to get match volume.

Med FF count as a win for winning % but don't count as a match 

8 hours ago, treep2000 said:

I imagine only two... Which sucks for JD, since the entire purpose was to get match volume.

Should have MFF’d his first match. Could’ve had 5 not including the MFF

Edited by 1032004

11 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

So, Zahid goes up a weight to challenge Moore? Makes for an even more interesting dual.

Doubt it. Zahid would definitely be willing, but it doesn’t really make sense, unless they know their backup 184 would beat Rocky (he won’t). 

it would go from:

184 5-0 ASU

197 5-3 ASU to:

184 0-4 tOSU

197 maybe 3-4 tOSU or 0-7 tOSU

8 hours ago, 77again said:

Huh?

A Med FF now counts as a win when calculating  your winning %.You need 15 matches to have a RPI and Med FF do not count as a match.

Edited by calot

According to the ASU story on tomorrow afternoon's dual there are the matchups to watch

MATCHUPS TO WATCH
125: #14 Brandon Courtney vs. #21 Malik Heinselman
149: #6 Sammy Sasso vs. #22 Josh Maruca
165: #4 Josh Shields vs. #9 Ethan Smith
174: #8 Anthony Valencia vs. #12 Caleb Romero
197: #1 Kollin Moore vs. #18 Kordell Norfleet

I'd add 133 lbs with Joshua Kramer (# 66 on WS) vs. either Dylan Koontz (# 80 on WS) or Jordan Decatur (# 107 on WS)

as well as 157 lbs with Jacori Teemer (# 22 on WS) vs. Elijah Cleary (# 43 on WS)

But then again I think all of these matchups will be fun to watch tomorrow.

Arizona State travels to Columbus, Ohio, to take on Ohio State

17 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

So, Zahid goes up a weight to challenge Moore? Makes for an even more interesting dual.

Don't see that happening especially since the last time Moore and Stewart faced off the score was 5-3 Moore.  That was just about 1 month ago.

Last sentence from an article about the upcoming dual.

"Ohio State faces the Sun Devils Monday night from Covelli Center in what should be the Buckeyes’ toughest home dual of the season."

Too late... They've already been beaten at Covelli..."toughest home dual of the season" already happened.

Edited by Mphillips

15 hours ago, Perry said:

Any chance zahid bumps up to 197 to take on the number one guy up a weight? Doubtful but would be pretty awesome! Didn't rivera do that with micic last season?

I don't get the two people here who think that is even remotely possible.  WHY ON EARTH would Arizona State coaches have Zahid move up one weight class (13 lbs) to take on the # 1 ranked guy in the country at that weight class?  It LITERALLY makes NO SENSE.   Give up nearly guaranteed bonus points (if not a pin) at 184 lbs to risk a loss at both 184 lbs AND 197 lbs?????  Who on earth would be dumb enough to do that?  Any coach who would even consider that should be fired A.S.A.P.  

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

I don't get the two people here who think that is even remotely possible.  WHY ON EARTH would Arizona State coaches have Zahid move up one weight class (13 lbs) to take on the # 1 ranked guy in the country at that weight class?  It LITERALLY makes NO SENSE.   Give up nearly guaranteed bonus points (if not a pin) at 184 lbs to risk a loss at both 184 lbs AND 197 lbs?????  Who on earth would be dumb enough to do that?  Any coach who would even consider that should be fired A.S.A.P.  

Because it would be fun for the fans! I agree though, with the dual being in legit contention I do not see this happening. If it was going to be a blowout either way though I would support it

On 1/5/2020 at 8:20 AM, Housebuye said:

Doubt it. Zahid would definitely be willing, but it doesn’t really make sense, unless they know their backup 184 would beat Rocky (he won’t). 

What makes you say that Housebuye?

3 hours ago, Bronco said:

Two words for you: Mark Schultz.

ASU staff would be crazy to bump Zahid because that would be the best way to jeopardize a dual they are pretty heavy favorites in.

Here’s an example of a time Zahid weighed in last year and bumped: he weighed in at 174 and bumped to 184 in ASU’s dual against UNC to wrestle Chip Ness. He got 3 takedowns in the 1st period, but the 10 extra pounds caught up with him by the 3rd period. If Ness had an extra 30-45 seconds in that match he probably would’ve beaten Zahid. And that’s Chip Ness we are talking about. All due respect to Zahid who is an absolute monster at 184, but Kolin Moore would hammer him. I’m thinking a comfortable major for Moore. I don’t even think it’d be entertaining for the fans. Just my opinion though. 

Edited by goheels1812

Hayes could theoretically go for and possible get 2 years a la Cassar. Everyone is acting like Kinner is going right up to claim the 157 spot. He’s moving up there with intentions on gradually getting up there and competing for a spot. It’s the lost logical choice considering he can’t make 133, and isn’t unseating 141 or 149. Cleary is clearly (no pun intended) the Bucks best shot at 157 minus Hayes.