TBar1977

Scuffle Day 2 Thread

In all of their losses both Lee and Beard got out to leads but faded late. In Beard's case I think it's a gas tank issue while opponents seem to be figuring out Lee. Both have the ability to be very good and this has been a great experience for both of them and Starocci.

36 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Props to Rutgers! Their 133 looks awesome. He took some lumps this year, but he is a true freshman, do not a shock. 

He is fun to watch too. 
I wonder what will happen when Suriano comes back. Assuming Alvarez continues on this path, Nick may move weights for the sake of the team. They have ranked guys at 125 and 141 (not ranked currently, but JoJo will be a force) and now 2 top 8 guys at 133...

Come on. Suriano wrestles wherever he wants and the lineup adjusts around it.

8 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I think Flo is building some artificial intelligence integrated with themat.com into their product because their stream has worked for me for every PSU guy, but freezes up when I try to watch Cornell guys.

Cornell has a *very* good Engineering school.

Joe Lee I think wrestled pretty well this tournament. He lost to a pair of guys who are better on the mat right now than he is. I am sure this was a good learning experience. I like that he seems aggressive and that he never quits wrestling hard. Shares some similar issues with Beard, gas tank and bottom.

Starocci might walk away Champ at this event. He is barely breathing hard in his matches so far. Has Pitt's Greg Harvey in the final, and owns a win over Harvey's brother Ben Harvey. 

Beard can still take 3rd and he has wins over Reenan and Geer. Get his gas tank in order and his bottom game (these two are often correlated) shored up and he's right there. 

Edited by TBar1977

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Phillippi spends half his time in neutral on one hand or knee. And Sammy Alvarez beats him. 

I hate that ****, needs to be stalling when doing that in neutral. 

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Could be. 

I will say this about the PSU freshmen there at the Scuffle, even in the two losses so far they wrestled hard. There is no quit in these guys. By the time they are in the line up they are going to show up to give it their all every time out. 

I'd hope so, they will be in their 3rd year in the room and still considered freshman.

58 minutes ago, ugarte said:

Come on. Suriano wrestles wherever he wants and the lineup adjusts around it.

I agree if that’s what he wants. I’m curious to see what he decides after discussing it with the coaches 

He can realistically go 125 or 133. That choice may be made based on what would work best for Rutgers. 

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

They can just redshirt him for Suriano's senior year. 

For sure they can. My assumption is, the coaches and Suriano want to put their best lineup possible out there for Suriano’s last year. It is kind of like ASU for this season - no matter what, put the best guy you have at each weight and try to take advantage of what is essentially 25ish starting points with Zahid (plus Shields and a few other seniors will add to that)

53 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Joe Lee I think wrestled pretty well this tournament. He lost to a pair of guys who are better on the mat right now than he is. I am sure this was a good learning experience. I like that he seems aggressive and that he never quits wrestling hard. Shaes some similar issues with Beard, gas tank and bottom.

Starocci might walk away Champ at this event. He is barely breathing hard in his matches so far. Has Pitt's Greg Harvey in the final, and owns a win over Harvey's brother Ben Harvey. 

Beard can still take 3rd and he has wins over Reenan and Geer. Get his gas tank in order and his bottom game (these two are often correlated) shored up and he's right there. 

I wish Starocci had better competition, but he has looked great so far. 

Beard had an excellent tournament. The win over Reenan was boring and Reenan isn’t 100%,  but it showed some grit that is needed for this level. 

Joe Lee is better than I thought. He isn’t a serious AA threat this year, but he is shirting so that doesn’t matter. As you said, once he improves his bottom game he will be a force. 

Stanford has FOUR guys in the finals.

141 lbs - Real Woods - RS Freshman

149 lbs - Jaden Abas - True Freshman

165 lbs - Shane Griffith - RS Freshman

197 lbs - Nathan Traxler - RS Junior

According to WrestleStat two of those four are projected to win against their opponent in the finals and the other two are projected to lose to their opponent by ONE point.  Which tells me that Stanford COULD win all four of those weight classes. 

Given the fact that Stanford has Require van der Merwe and Jaden Abas at 149 lbs perhaps one of those two should be moved up to 157 lbs.  Just a thought.

21 minutes ago, Bronco said:

According to WrestleStat two of those four are projected to win against their opponent in the finals and the other two are projected to lose to their opponent by ONE point.  Which tells me that Stanford COULD win all four of those weight classes. 

Given the fact that Stanford has Require van der Merwe and Jaden Abas at 149 lbs perhaps one of those two should be moved up to 157 lbs.  Just a thought.

This makes sense to me... 

I would favor Woods, Griffith and Traxler in the finals myself.  Abas is going to run into the buzzsaw known as Alirez, although, and evidently, Abas has a win over Alirez in high school.  

I think that sending Van Damme up to 157 would make the most sense, and would be most beneficial for Stanford's post season strategy.

9 minutes ago, Bronco said:

van der Merwe has the better frame for 157, but I don't think he's big at 149. Hopefully the line-up features both next year. I wonder how far this group can go together in 2021. About 50 team points usually gives a team a top 10 or so finish in March, and I believe that is easily within reach next year--and may also be possible this year. 

35 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I wish Starocci had better competition, but he has looked great so far. 

Beard had an excellent tournament. The win over Reenan was boring and Reenan isn’t 100%,  but it showed some grit that is needed for this level. 

Joe Lee is better than I thought. He isn’t a serious AA threat this year, but he is shirting so that doesn’t matter. As you said, once he improves his bottom game he will be a force. 

I liked Beard,s effort against Traxler, but I REALLY liked his effort against Geer on short rest. I actually thought he'd lose given how hard he went against Trax. 

Lee looks WAY better this than I expected coming into this year. Him having a two TD to none advantage on both Bullard and Wittlake tells me he is very close. Next year he's right there imo. I think he ends up doing the same things his brother Nick is currently doing. 

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

I think Flo is building some artificial intelligence integrated with themat.com into their product because their stream has worked for me for every PSU guy, but freezes up when I try to watch Cornell guys.

It's those guys in Bill and Melinda Gates Hall.

My finals picks:

125 - Picc over Werner 

Although Picc hasn't been as dominant as I expected this year (and shouldn't even be in the final), should be at least a major.

133 - Alvarez over Sykora

If Alvarez can keep from being turned, I think he wins a close decision, and since he got out from under Phillipi, I think he manages to do just that.

141 - Woods over Gfeller

As long as he stays off his back, I think Woods cruises to an easier than expected decision, and a major wouldn't shock.  He's really hard to score on, gets to his leg attacks effectively, finishes cleanly, and gets out from bottom, all of which make him very difficult to beat.

149 - Alirez over Abas

Although his win over Milner wasn't as impressive as I expected (especially the third period), I think Alirez wins a close decision over a game Abas.

157 - Hidlay

165 - Griffith

174 - Starocci

184 - Hidlay

197 - Traxler

285 - Grimmel

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

For sure they can. My assumption is, the coaches and Suriano want to put their best lineup possible out there for Suriano’s last year. It is kind of like ASU for this season - no matter what, put the best guy you have at each weight and try to take advantage of what is essentially 25ish starting points with Zahid (plus Shields and a few other seniors will add to that)

Well Rutgers also has NCAA scoring potential at 125 in Aguilar and 141 in Aragona, so maybe they end up going Aguilar-Suriano-Alvarez-Aragona.  Although not sure how Alvarez and Aragona would do at 141/149 respectively, so still wouldn’t be surprised to see one of them redshirt next year.

Just realized their 125-149 this year is AAAA, that’s kinda cool (Aguilar-Alvarez-Aragona-Angelo)

Edited by 1032004

21 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Just realized their 125-149 this year is AAAA, that’s kinda cool (Aguilar-Alvarez-Aragona-Angelo)

Iowa 2009--2010 comes close! McDonough + Marion + Metcalf. The outlier is Nate Moore, who wrestled at 133 and at Carver arena and in duals but not in B1G duals. Fun subtopic!

24 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well Rutgers also has NCAA scoring potential at 125 in Aguilar and 141 in Aragona, so maybe they end up going Aguilar-Suriano-Alvarez-Aragona.  Although not sure how Alvarez and Aragona would do at 141/149 respectively, so still wouldn’t be surprised to see one of them redshirt next year.

You get 10% off all pizza shops in New Jersey with your AAAA card!

I am here all week folks! 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

My assumption is that Suriano chooses the weight where he is most comfortable and most likely to win a national title. I think the coaches are also most interested in "winning Suriano an individual title" not dual results, NQs, AAs or"finish in 9th instead of 14th at NCAAs"

A wrestler who is likely to be in the 3-7 range at two weights may be flexible on their weight. A guy with a title in hand? Not so much. People have asked the same question about Yianni 141/149 and Yianni, like Suiriano is the 600lb gorilla who sits where he wants (and has a very difficult cut).

Edited by ugarte

cool interview with Sam Herring up on flo now. 

Not much content other than the matches themselves. Seems to be a common theme as of late with Flo. Kind of a bummer. Last year I was really pleased with the amount of like Mic'd up content, and interviews. Hopefully they get back to that kind of stuff for big duals, and the post season. 

6 minutes ago, iGranby said:

cool interview with Sam Herring up on flo now. 

Not much content other than the matches themselves. Seems to be a common theme as of late with Flo. Kind of a bummer. Last year I was really pleased with the amount of like Mic'd up content, and interviews. Hopefully they get back to that kind of stuff for big duals, and the post season. 

They have had a lot of content all year. More than ever, in fact.

I think they just spoiled us with so much content so far this season the regular holiday lull seems much more drastic.