gowrestle

Cassar Update

December 27, 2019

University Park, PA -- Fans of the defending national champion Penn State Nittany Lions wrestling team have been on pins and needles this holiday week, hoping and waiting for even the slightest hint of news regarding the status of injured star wrestler Anthony Cassar. Cassar, the defending champion in the 285-lb. weigt class and currently ranked #1 among the national polls, appeared to incur a shoulder injury last weekend at the U.S. Senior Nationals freestyle tournament in Fort Worth, Texas. The Nittany Lions, who are widely considered co-favorites for the 2020 team championship with the longtime rival Iowa Hawkeyes, would suffer a devastating blow to their title hopes if their senior leader were to be sidelined come March. Head Coach Cael Sanderson provided some much-craved insight following a practice yesterday.

"Well, Cassar's a little dinged up," said Sanderson. "I can't really say just how bad it is, you know . . . we'll just have to see how he progresses with his treatment. It's up to him, really."

When pressed for details about said 'treatment', Sanderson offered little detail.

"Raptor's eating. He's eating a lot. I can tell you that much. We like what we're seeing with his eating. I mean, if the Big Ten Championships were tomorrow, you'd probably see him in there. But we'll want to take some time to continue with the diet and see how he's doing before making a decision. There's time."

Naturally, there has been some skepticism about whether Cassar will take the mat again this season, as there have been very few sightings of the affable heavyweight since Sunday. Some have questioned whether he's even been with the team since the injury.

"He's eating in the room right now," Sanderson retorted. "He's close."

Sanderson does have other capable wrestlers at heavyweight, most notably redshirting freshman Seth Nevills. But when asked whether pulling Nevills's redshirt is a consideration, Sanderson replied with a firm stare, "Cassar's eating a lot right now."

One member of the crowd, Lyle Christiansen of wrestling entertainment outfit Blo Rasslin, was incredulous and seemed especially put out by the answer.

"But Coach," he lamented, "Cassar has an extensive injury history that has already caused him to miss two full seasons. Aren't you concerned? Shouldn't you get someone like Seth Nevills ready as soon as possible?"

Sanderson turned his icy stare to Christiansen, "What, do you have a plan?" The room cleared.

Penn State wrestling is next in action on January 10th when the Nittany Lions take on the Illinois Fighiting Illini at Rec Hall, 7:00 PM ET.

20 minutes ago, tigerfan said:

I heard from a very reliable source he’s done for the season. I don’t really follow PSU closely, but if some fans were hoping for his return, don’t hold your breath. 

If true, he’ll probably just get the year back as he completes his PhD. They hand out extra years like candy at Halloween these days. 

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

If true, he’ll probably just get the year back as he completes his PhD. They hand out extra years like candy at Halloween these days. 

Do you really think Kerkvliet would waste a year on the bench? I guess the question would be, can Kerkvliet even RS next season? Has his clock already started? 

Edited by Gopher82

11 hours ago, treep2000 said:

I'm unsure if eating is in reference to actually eating, or a simile/metaphor for something else.

The whole thing is a parody. 

Remember re Suriano "He's wrestling in the room right now. He's close."

With Cassar "He's eating in the room right now. He's close."

Parody.

Edited by TBar1977

4 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

The best part (worst part) about this whole thing is that our media has become so bad and inept that people actually believe this could be an actual article and not parody.

C'mon man it's gotta be true!  The article is out of University Park it's the correct date, it has Carl Sanderson's statement in direct quotes.  If parody you are going to change something like quote Carl Sanderson or Cael Saderson or article out of Happy Park or Funville, PA or dated Devember 27, 2019 etc.  Everything looks accurate and in quotes so it's gotta be true.  All I want to know is if he is eating fruits & vegetables or raw meat in the room and if raw meat then who on the team shot it and do all the starters still have ten toes?  ;)  ;_;

I heard from a friend who knows someone who can read and can find Pennsylvania on a map and used to live in Heber City, Utah where Cael is from that Cassar had the bad shoulder amputated last night.

But, a super secret Government guy who was there told Cael " Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Anthony Cassar will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."

It will only cost $6 million - chump change from the PennState slush fund.