Sign in to follow this  
Perry

Alirez

I think 100% he is the real deal.  Good technique, incredibly physicality, seems to have the mental pieces and the cardio.  I've seen him score multiple times with 5 seconds or so on the clock when his opponent is content to coast.

5 hours ago, ptz305 said:

He kind of reminds me of Ian Miller. Super talented. Huge arsenal. Can he put it together while also not getting robbed by the score keepers? 

Pretty good analogy actually, albeit different styles. Nickerson is too good at what he does to let that happen, so I vote yes, title contender. 

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Love to see him wrestling fo T-Nick. But is he shortchanging himself by not competing for a top program?

Will be interesting to see how he develops at UNCO. I think he will be fine and the Abas loss doesn't bother me too much and I do think Alirez is the better of the two. Interesting that Abas is going to be part of a very strong core for Stanford going forward

It’s tough to tell right now because the best guy he’s wrestled is probably Abas, and he lost. But I’m not holding that against him quite yet. I think we will get a good gauge in a couple weeks when he is possibly going to face Boo Lewallen and then Max Thompson. If he looks good against those guys/ beats one or both of them then he’s absolutely a title threat. If he gets beat up on by those guys then he’s more of a dark horse to be a low AA (6-8 range) in my mind. 

goheels, I agree, but to me, that match said more about Abas than it did about Alirez. I thought Alirez wrestled a little better in a very tight and inactive match until that last move Abas pulled out of his ass to score the only TD. I've never seen that finish executed so well at the D1 level. Definitely not a technique I expected from that extended position where most guys are content to get a stalemate. Very slick.

8 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

goheels, I agree, but to me, that match said more about Abas than it did about Alirez. I thought Alirez wrestled a little better in a very tight and inactive match until that last move Abas pulled out of his ass to score the only TD. I've never seen that finish executed so well at the D1 level. Definitely not a technique I expected from that extended position where most guys are content to get a stalemate. Very slick.

This is a very fair assessment. I was a little surprised at how tentative Alirez was that match. He loves firing off a huge arsenal of attacks and he was very reserved against Abas. Maybe it was nerves knowing he took a loss to Abas in high school. But if he’s getting those nerves and tentative in a January match that doesn’t bode well for the NCAA tournament. His best bet is to go into that tournament and try to score 20 points a match. 

But like I said I’m way more interested in how he looks against Lewallen and Thompson. The Abas loss doesn’t move the needle much for me. 

Edited by goheels1812

50 minutes ago, Perry said:

Will be interesting to see how he develops at UNCO. I think he will be fine and the Abas loss doesn't bother me too much and I do think Alirez is the better of the two.

Alirez and Abas are both true freshmen, right? Who was the higher ranked recruit?

I'd say less nerves and more hesitancy knowing how Abas burned him before in scrambles.  That said, she should have just went out and wrestled his match instead of letting Abas change what has made him so successful. 

Agreed. Abas is very dangerous and once burned, twice shy, as they say. That single Alirez hit in the 1st was textbook, and Abas Abas-rolled out of it, then hit that extended single finish in the 3rd. Abas still has some good physical maturing left by  the looks of him, and I'm excited to see how good he gets. His uncle is one of my favorite American wrestlers ever.

7 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I can't imagine why he stayed in Greeley.  Family obligations, perhaps.  Staying there is going to work against him.

Hard to argue against a top program having better resources and partners, but UNCO is a couple of hours' drive from the OTC in Colorado Springs, Nickerson is a pretty good coach who will be mostly focused on Alirez, and 2x 165-lb AA Mike Moreno is there to give him some good goes. Not ideal, I get it, but he has done extremely well with much less so who knows how he'll do at UNCO.

59 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Agreed. Abas is very dangerous and once burned, twice shy, as they say. That single Alirez hit in the 1st was textbook, and Abas Abas-rolled out of it, then hit that extended single finish in the 3rd. Abas still has some good physical maturing left by  the looks of him, and I'm excited to see how good he gets. His uncle is one of my favorite American wrestlers ever.

Ah, that answers my question, lol. Stephen or Gerry? Would be awesome if he could replicate either of those guy's success in his career.

Edited by TobusRex

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

Alirez and Abas are both true freshmen, right? Who was the higher ranked recruit?

Correct. Alirez was the higher ranked recruit. He notched wins over Nick Lee and Dean Heil (in freestyle). Off the top of my head, only Schultz and Kerkvliet were rated ahead of him. Abas was a top 10 or so recruit himself.

I tend to agree with most posters on here that this loss doesn't change much I think about alirez..he seemed to be the "aggressor" (I put quotes around that because it was a pretty low action match) and that last exchange couldve went either way. With someone who can funk and slip as well as abas can, that plays right into his game.  If Alirez fires off more quality attacks and stays in good position, next time, I see him taking the win. I will always be hesitant to give a true freshman the "title contender" label until they prove himself, but come march an AA is not out of the question.  Here is the thing that will mark him as a true top tier wrestler, will he go back, watch film, and make the necessary changes to beat abas or anyone else that might beat him early in the season?