Jimmy Cinnabon

Michael Beard - overrated?

Earlier this season I was a huge advocate for pulling his shirt and using him to replace Conel.  Now after his somewhat lackluster finish at the Southern Scuffle I think he should stay in his redshirt.  He has major issues from bottom and seems to have some conditioning issues too.  He is not the world beater I thought he would be this year.  Maybe next year.

So basically you’re questioning your own overrating of him. He’s clearly a good wrestler but there’s really no way to tell how good he can be until he gets in the lineup and wrestles quality competition every week. For now he certainly has room for improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Hotkarl712 said:

So basically you’re questioning your own overrating of him. He’s clearly a good wrestler but there’s really no way to tell how good he can be until he gets in the lineup and wrestles quality competition every week. For now he certainly has room for improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not just my overrating -- I think many people, and many PSU fans, viewed him as an instant title contender, this year.  I could see him being a low AA but also falling a bit short.  Definitely not a top 197 guy this year though.

I would rate him in the 10-12 range.  He beat #6 Geer and #4 Reenan, but lost to #15 Bulsak, #19 Laird and #8 Traxler.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

I see him kind of like how Matt Brown was in the Taylor/Ruth era.  Solid for a couple AA finishes and potentially a title down the road, whereas Starocci and Brooks have the look of superstars in that same class.

I overrated him. I thought if he'd wrestle this year he'd be a legitimate title contender but he's not.

Maybe because he knows he's red-shirting he's not wrestling with the same intensity and conditioning.

I’m not really clear on this. Some fans thought he would be a title contender, but I think the consensus from most of us was he is solid and likely an AA contender, but some of that was due to it being the weakest weight and the expected gains he would make since we last saw him. 

once they signed Konel, we knew he wasn’t expected to start so it gave him an entire additional year to improve, with some of the best possible training partners arguably in the world. The Snyder addition makes it even crazier. 

Will all find out shortly if Shak can go.

Bigger question can both Shak and Cassar go. If they both can't. Give Iowa trophy now.

If both go , we have Iowa favored but there will be a battle and PSU still in it.

Just mho

6 hours ago, Konquest said:

I see him kind of like how Matt Brown was in the Taylor/Ruth era.  Solid for a couple AA finishes and potentially a title down the road, whereas Starocci and Brooks have the look of superstars in that same class.

Brown started for 3 years and was a 3X AA finishing 2.5.1      I think that would be acceptable for Beard. 

8 hours ago, jchapman said:

Did you call Mark Hall overrated when he started his career 0-1?

TBF, they're very different situations.

I'm not sure what happened the second half of the Laird (he didn't look that gassed, at least on video), but he didn't look like the same wrestler.

Regardless, Beard's ceiling is still very high, but he looked a lot more like Jacob Warner than the next Bo Nickal.

I'm glad somebody started the thread. I watched every one of his matches at the Scuffle and went back and looked at a few others. First off, coming out of high school, I think everybody thought he was going to be some kind of instant title contender. Like the other poster said he's a lot closer to Jacob Warner, and maybe not even that good, than Bo Nickal. Also, it's not his first year at Penn State. He's been in that room since approx. August 2018. And if somebody is saying he's not working as hard or going as hard because he may red shirt, I would think that's a bad sign. No the world is not coming to an end for him and I don't think there's ever been a time he wasn't better than Conel but if he was the starter this year I would not put him even sniffing All American. I'm not saying he won't ever be an All-American or win a title but if Shak comes back and is healthy I would think he would be the starter at 97.