Crash

65KG Seeding at Stake in Rome??

Zain and JO, allegedly, both going.

If I am interpreting rules correctly, if they hit and JO wins, he would be number 1 seed at OTTs.

Not saying this is good or bad, especially with Yianni's seed being a question mark.

But it is interesting.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Edited by Crash

On 2nd thought, if Zain qualifies the weight at the Pan Am qualifier, he would still get the 1 seed, regardless.....but a JO win over Zain might affect who they send to the Pan Am qualifier

2 hours ago, Crash said:

On 2nd thought, if Zain qualifies the weight at the Pan Am qualifier, he would still get the 1 seed, regardless.....but a JO win over Zain might affect who they send to the Pan Am qualifier

The way I interpreted that criteria: “world team member who qualifies the weight” was through qualifying it at the WC’s last year. Is that incorrect?

33 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The way I interpreted that criteria: “world team member who qualifies the weight” was through qualifying it at the WC’s last year. Is that incorrect?

That is how I initially interpreted it too, but that is not what it says.  What you have in quotes is how it reads, which taken literally,  would include a situation where a 2019 team member qualified the weight at the Pan Am Qualifier.

Bc the Last Chance happens after OTTs, that would not apply.

It would have been nice if USAW wrote the rule more clearly and included a phrase such as "...who qualifies the weight at 2019 Worlds" or "....who qualifies the weight at 2019 Worlds or any other qualifying event". 

I doubt this will turn into a big deal at 65 though bc:

1. USAW will likely send Zain to the Pan Am qualifier.
2. JO has said publicly countless times that he couldn't care less about seeding.  He actually seems to get perturbed when it even comes up as a discussion point.

But maybe it could be a deal at one of the other weights. 

55 minutes ago, Crash said:

That is how I initially interpreted it too, but that is not what it says.  What you have in quotes is how it reads, which taken literally,  would include a situation where a 2019 team member qualified the weight at the Pan Am Qualifier.

Bc the Last Chance happens after OTTs, that would not apply.

It would have been nice if USAW wrote the rule more clearly and included a phrase such as "...who qualifies the weight at 2019 Worlds" or "....who qualifies the weight at 2019 Worlds or any other qualifying event". 

I doubt this will turn into a big deal at 65 though bc:

1. USAW will likely send Zain to the Pan Am qualifier.
2. JO has said publicly countless times that he couldn't care less about seeding.  He actually seems to get perturbed when it even comes up as a discussion point.

I understand what you’re saying and it does also say winner of OTT would go to last chance qualifier, but obviously has nothing to do with seeding the OTT. This is an interesting question. The reason bringing in the Pan Ams I question is let’s say JO beats Zain in Rome and finished gold, Zain dnp. He’s now OW at nationals and head to head over Zain, but by way of being 1 on the ladder Zain goes to Pan Am and qualifies the weight, but doesn’t win it. 

Thats one of many scenarios possible among all the weight. I just wonder where there intent is because to your point it is a little ambiguous. Interesting question, I wonder if anyone has a definitive...it’s this way or that way. 

The JO we saw at Senior Nats will be a contender on the international stage.  We have never seen that level from him before. 

Given that it's been this one and only time we have really seen this super Saiyan version of JO, I'm hesitant to crown him world beater.  Once is an observation... Twice gives us data.  Three times provides a trend.  

I understand what you’re saying and it does also say winner of OTT would go to last chance qualifier, but obviously has nothing to do with seeding the OTT. This is an interesting question. The reason bringing in the Pan Ams I question is let’s say JO beats Zain in Rome and finished gold, Zain dnp. He’s now OW at nationals and head to head over Zain, but by way of being 1 on the ladder Zain goes to Pan Am and qualifies the weight, but doesn’t win it. 
Thats one of many scenarios possible among all the weight. I just wonder where there intent is because to your point it is a little ambiguous. Interesting question, I wonder if anyone has a definitive...it’s this way or that way. 
Doesnt USAW have the prerogative to send whomever they want to Pan Am qualifier?

13 hours ago, Crash said:

Great point.  Oliver in his interviews seems to be really locked in, totally focused on things he can control -- working with his coaches, his training, his wrestling -- to the exclusion of anything he can't control, like rules interpretations and subjective seeding judgments.  He looks like a guy who is ready to just show up and take his game to whoever the tournament officials send out there against him in a different color singlet.

10 hours ago, Crash said:

Doesnt USAW have the prerogative to send whomever they want to Pan Am qualifier?

Yes but they send the World team members.