OBXWrestler

Who were you wrong about?

Which guy(s) were you wrong about coming out of high school? Either you thought they would be great and they didn’t pan out for one reason or another or you weren’t high on them and they turn out to be really good. 

The guy I thought was going to be an absolute monster that didn’t turn out that way was Patrick Bond.  

The guy that I wasn’t high on in high school was I-Mar. Completely missed on that one. 

So many... but these jump out right now  

A Valencia. Thought he’d win a title. Probably my worst call  i was very high on him.

The Schlatters. Thought CP would win a title and Dustin would win more than one. Had a lot of conviction on these too. I lost a good-sized bet on both 

Joe Smith. Thought he would make a final (c’mon Joe, you have three more months).

The Greys. Thought they would both multi-AA. 

Imart. Didn’t think he’d ever win a title. 

Jimmy Gulibon. Thought he’d be a 4xAA. 

Cassar. Thought he’d never start. Oops.

26 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

So many... but these jump out right now  

A Valencia. Thought he’d win a title. Probably my worst call  i was very high on him.

The Schlatters. Thought CP would win a title and Dustin would win more than one. Had a lot of conviction on these too. I lost a good-sized bet on both 

Joe Smith. Thought he would make a final (c’mon Joe, you have three more months).

The Greys. Thought they would both multi-AA. 

Imart. Didn’t think he’d ever win a title. 

Jimmy Gulibon. Thought he’d be a 4xAA. 

Cassar. Thought he’d never start. Oops.

Mike grey is a multiple time AA ..mark seemed to peak his freshman year of college ....I’m in the same boat I absolutely though joe smith would make a final but it’s not looking to good right now 

The Altons. Thought both would end up with at least one Natty title and a bunch of AA finishes. 

EDIT: Throw in Peppleman, the one that wrestled at the same time as the Altons. 

Add in Andrew Campollatano. He fizzled. 

Edited by TBar1977

20 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Mike grey is a multiple time AA ..mark seemed to peak his freshman year of college ....I’m in the same boat I absolutely though joe smith would make a final but it’s not looking to good right now 

I understand but as I wrote I thought they would both do it. 

C’mon now, Joe. Do the thing. 

I thought Zahid had somewhat leveled out.  I knew he would do well, but I thought his improvement would level off.  I dont think it has after 3 years or so.

The one I totally nailed was Justin Mejia.  People were raving about the guy and I am pumped he accomplished what he did in HS,  but to me, he was operating at his absolute ceiling of skill.

Most of the guys whom I have made the mistake of overrating with high expectations are dudes who have college physiques in high school, and kind of bully people on their way to "blue chip" status.  There are a few in high school right now that would fit this mold, whom I hope surprise me at the next level.  The guys who I have been flat out wrong about were injury casualties, and it's kind of sad: Hunter Steiber, Bryce Brill, David Kjeldgaard, Sean Hage, Troy Letters, etc.

2 minutes ago, Perry said:

Logan Massa was another one who a lot of people were high on (though I was not one of them). Number 1 ranked in High school and never aa'd before quitting as a senior I believe

You may be thinking of Logan’s brother? Logan places 3rd his freshman year and still has a year of eligibility 

Kaleb Young is way better than I thought he’d be. 

Anthony Valencia of course

Nick Suriano - I thought he would AA a few times, but I also thought he wasn’t going to be stronger and faster than the top college guys. I was wrong. Guy is next level 

Dom Demas - I thought he wouldn’t translate due to almost all of his ranked high school wins being in other styles, and taking weird losses in folk due to his poor mat game. He didn’t really fix his bottom game, but he has figured out how to take almost everyone down. 

7 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

You may be thinking of Logan’s brother? Logan places 3rd his freshman year and still has a year of eligibility 

You are correct, sorry, was thinking of Taylor Massa not Logan. Though Logan has since disappointed compared to what some of us were thinking after looking so solid as a freshman. I wonder if he has had injuries which have kept him back. he still has some nice wins in the last two years including over Marinelli once

1 minute ago, Perry said:

You are correct, sorry, was thinking of Taylor Massa not Logan. Though Logan has since disappointed compared to what some of us were thinking after looking so solid as a freshman. I wonder if he has had injuries which have kept him back. he still has some nice wins in the last two years including over Marinelli once

He hurt his knee at cklv his sophomore year and wasn’t healthy the rest of the season and never seemed to get back the confidence he had before the injury 

After BoJo's first season, really thought he'd get at least one title.  People in Florida said Eric Grajales ( 1x AA tsun) was better than David Taylor.  

Edited by stp