OBXWrestler

Who were you wrong about?

I’ll throw another North Carolina wrestler up there. Corey Mock. Lots of success in high school. His dad (CD) was rumored to be flying Corey up to Maryland in high school (I think it was Maryland) to train 1 on 1 with Cary Kolat. Mock showed promise at UNC, then started getting in legal trouble. He transferred to Chattanooga and got in trouble there too. I wonder what his career would’ve ended up looking like if he avoided the legal problems. 

27 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I’ll throw another North Carolina wrestler up there. Corey Mock. Lots of success in high school. His dad (CD) was rumored to be flying Corey up to Maryland in high school (I think it was Maryland) to train 1 on 1 with Cary Kolat. Mock showed promise at UNC, then started getting in legal trouble. He transferred to Chattanooga and got in trouble there too. I wonder what his career would’ve ended up looking like if he avoided the legal problems. 

I missed on Mock too. 

Other North Carolina guys that I missed on: 

Jon Burns 

Chris Bullins 

E. Palma 

Wasn’t high on Parisi (App) and he performed well. 

11 minutes ago, OBXWrestler said:

I missed on Mock too. 

Other North Carolina guys that I missed on: 

Jon Burns 

Chris Bullins 

E. Palma 

Wasn’t high on Parisi (App) and he performed well. 

Another one for me was Jacob Creed. He was the only guy that could even hang with Mock by the time they were seniors. I actually think Creed beat Mock 3-4 times in high school and then as seniors Mock finally got him in a tournament. I was at a tournament in another city across the state and they actually announced over the intercom “Corey Mock has just beaten Jacob Creed 9-6 in ____________ (some invitational, can’t remember the name).” I heard Creed was so burnt out with high school wrestling that he never even attempted to wrestle in college. I think he ended up at NC State just as a student. I would’ve thought he’d have a pretty good college career. 

Also Garrison White. He never ended up doing much at northwestern, but he was a stud in NC. 

A guy that actually did decently that surprised me was Joey Moon. He started off as a depth guy for UNC and then ended up starting for a couple years in chapel hill. He held his own and held a very respectable career. 

Edit: not sure why some text is big and other is small. Oh well. 

Edited by goheels1812

On 1/4/2020 at 6:21 PM, HokieHWT said:

Couple of Hokies

Walz- underestimated

Haught- underestimated

Penny- underestimated

Dance- Overestimated

ZZ- Overestimated 

I thought Dance had a great shot at an NCAA title in his college career after his AAing his FR season. Instead, disappointment.

Jimmy Guilibon. He handled Clark twice in high school and really was on a similar level his freshman year, but he just was unable to show significant improvement from there. I think he was just tapped out on talent by the time he got to college.

I've followed wrestling a long time...coached at the college level.  With that said, I've missed on many wrestlers!  Here are some...to name a few.

Jade Rauser

Alex Cisneros

Destin McCauley

Matt Mincey

Jesse Thielke

Austin Ormsbee
Nate Skonieczny

Chance Marstellar

Chris Phillips

Johnny Sebastian

Thomas Haines

Jake Kemerer

Jason Welch

Nate Moore

New Jersey- Almost Every State Champ from 1985-to present   

some notables.
Patrick Lynch, Bobby Malatesta, Billy Ward, Sam Cole, George Chew, Jason Sutor, Labe Black, Campo, all of Highland Regional except Melchiore and Dykeman lol

It’s not that we are wrong about them, just shows the dynamics when you leave HS and go to an uncontrolled environment. Some have it, some don’t. 

Take Joe Burke - I teched him in HS and he improved exponentially to become one of the best riders in college and place 3rd. Never seen anything like it. 

Edited by SB1071

To the bad — CP Schlatter, think he was ready to high AA out of high school then redshirted and tore his ACL.  Showed flashes during the regular season at times but never shined at NCAAs.  Destin McCauley, Alex Tsirtsis, Derek Garcia and Luke Kemerer.  Andrew Alton was sooo good as well.

To the good — Johnny Thompson, Pletcher Mack Reiter, McDonough and Bubba J.

I had no particular view at the time, but wasn't Scott Winston supposed to be a superstar? I recall seeing him in a tournament as a freshman in the same weightclass as Jordan Leen. I asked Leen about him and Leen did not seem very impressed. 

9 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I had no particular view at the time, but wasn't Scott Winston supposed to be a superstar? I recall seeing him in a tournament as a freshman in the same weightclass as Jordan Leen. I asked Leen about him and Leen did not seem very impressed. 

I believe he hurt his knee at some point late in HS. Part of his strength was the ability to shoot/reshoot from very low positions. He never seemed to regain the flexibility he once had.

Scott Winston was kind of an example of what I was talking about years ago on this very thread.  A guy who had a college physique in high school who was dominant until guys caught up to him physically.  These "specimens" are usually the guys who wind up with a big learning curve in college and don't live up to their HS reputations.  It has to be mentally as well as physically frustrating when you're used to just rag-dolling everyone and all of a sudden those finishes don't work.  

On 1/4/2020 at 11:19 AM, Plasmodium said:

Not HS, but Seth Gross was written off by most and has redeemed himself very nicely.  He has a good story.

Seth Gross was the first name that came to mind, but not because of the legal trouble. I hated his style in high school and didn't think it would translate. He was all belly whizzers and junk, and had very little offense on his feet. His first year at Iowa really bore that analysis out. It wasn't until he matched up with Schopp and made the big cut down that he found success. He and Schopp were a match made in heaven.

David Craig seemed to be a lock for one or more NCAA titles, based on his high school results. I believe he was the #1 Recruit his senior year, and had won everything to be won at the national level. Not only did he win nationally, he dominated.

He had incredible talent and untapped potential. But, he apparently did not like wrestling, much less love it. It was pretty evident that after his freshman year at Lehigh, he was simply going through the motions and couldn’t wait for it all to be done with. 

Wrestling is a tough sport, especially at the DI level, and even more so when there are high expectations attached to a kid. One has to wonder what he could have accomplished had he actually enjoyed and loved the sport?

I hope he’s done well since college. 

53 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

David Craig seemed to be a lock for one or more NCAA titles, based on his high school results. I believe he was the #1 Recruit his senior year, and had won everything to be won at the national level. Not only did he win nationally, he dominated.

He had incredible talent and untapped potential. But, he apparently did not like wrestling, much less love it. It was pretty evident that after his freshman year at Lehigh, he was simply going through the motions and couldn’t wait for it all to be done with. 

Wrestling is a tough sport, especially at the DI level, and even more so when there are high expectations attached to a kid. One has to wonder what he could have accomplished had he actually enjoyed and loved the sport?

I hope he’s done well since college. 

I remember his as well.  Watching him at Fargo i thought this guy is going to be amazing in college...and as you pointed out, poor guy just didn't seem to even like wrestling anymore.

On 1/6/2020 at 3:09 PM, russelscout said:

Jimmy Guilibon. He handled Clark twice in high school and really was on a similar level his freshman year, but he just was unable to show significant improvement from there. I think he was just tapped out on talent by the time he got to college.

Not to nitpick, but it was really only his sophomore year where he was on that level. He struggled as a freshman, was very successful as a sophomore, and then the bump to 141 reproduced a lot of the problems he had at 133 as a freshman.

Saw Tj Sebolt in a Christmas tournament in KC, completely destroyed some major studs.  4x Iowa state champ and set record for most wins in HS.  Went to ISU and never heard from him again.

Watched J'Den wrestle quite a bit in HS, so I knew he was a stud.  Even though, I definitely wasn't expecting him to win 197 as a true freshman.  Nothing he does any more will surprise me though.  

19 hours ago, dman115 said:

I remember his as well.  Watching him at Fargo i thought this guy is going to be amazing in college...and as you pointed out, poor guy just didn't seem to even like wrestling anymore.

That whole Brandon era was jam packed with high school phenoms who just could not put it together in college.   

Edited by matts1w