OBXWrestler

Who were you wrong about?

I watched David Taylor all through HS and never thought he would dominate like he did in college.  He was so scrawny.

Figured Andrew Alton would be a multi time AA, at a minimum.

Harry Lester was just a machine in HS, but went the Greco route.

Watched Jake Herbert get TF by Roger Kish @ Dapper Dan (up a weight) and never saw him becoming so dominant. 

21 hours ago, Old Corps said:

David Craig seemed to be a lock for one or more NCAA titles, based on his high school results. I believe he was the #1 Recruit his senior year, and had won everything to be won at the national level. Not only did he win nationally, he dominated.

He had incredible talent and untapped potential. But, he apparently did not like wrestling, much less love it. It was pretty evident that after his freshman year at Lehigh, he was simply going through the motions and couldn’t wait for it all to be done with. 

Wrestling is a tough sport, especially at the DI level, and even more so when there are high expectations attached to a kid. One has to wonder what he could have accomplished had he actually enjoyed and loved the sport?

I hope he’s done well since college. 

Yes David Craig...reminded me some of Jeff Knupp as well. 

Thought Glasgow was going to be better the his HS teammate Lewis in college. Beat Griffith in the state finals and looked the part.  That certainly did not pan out but Glasgow still has a few years left to prove me wrong!

I was not that high on Nickal coming out. I remember thinking Marsteller was the clear top 170 out of that class. I thought he relied on too much big stuff. He ended up becoming incredibly good with his basic stuff at Penn State which made his big stuff even more dangerous. Way more balanced.

I thought Fredy Stroker would be really good. I loved how easily he could get to legs. Never really worked out for him.

I wasn't as high on Marinelli as a lot of hawk fans. I thought he was a little stiff and would struggle to finish against competent scramblers. He's come a long way in that aspect.

5 hours ago, matts1w said:

That whole Brandon era was jam packed with high school phenoms who just could not put it together in college.   

Franklin Gomez being the exception.  He has had a very strong career after high school.

On 7/31/2020 at 8:46 AM, Bozak2018 said:

Alex Tsirtsis.  Undefeated HS career, wrestled in the Midlands in HS and only managed one low AA finish at Iowa

Routinely got beat up in his own high school room. The undefeated Indiana record led to being overhyped but this wasn’t a huge surprise to anyone wrestling at the time.

11 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Routinely got beat up in his own high school room. The undefeated Indiana record led to being overhyped but this wasn’t a huge surprise to anyone wrestling at the time.

Are you talking about Escobedo? Maybe a little misleading to not include who was beating him in the room. He did have a lot of national success too.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

I remember not just the Midlands appearance but also a little senior freestyle success as well while in high school.  Some of the hype went away when he lost to post Soph Dustin Schlatter at Fargo.

That Fargo bracket had a ton of high level studs and if my memory was better I would list them off.

Matt Kolodzik.  I knew that he was Princeton's top recruit in 2016-17 but not much else.  I live about an hour from Roanoke and in 2016 quite a few EIWA teams sent contingents to the Hokie Open, so I went.  Tournament was enormous -- fr/so and open divisions, 18 mats in the main building, half a dozen more in the basement of an adjacent building, no seating, no pairings sheets, tiny refreshment stand at one corner of the main building.  Stayed about three hours and saw very little.  I saw Ben Darmstadt's first bout for FLWC and saw him throw a good opponent right to his back; I have an almost-great photo of it.  A real WOW! moment.  A few years later I showed the picture to Pat Santoro and asked "How big do you think their feet are?"  My guess was something like size 14 and size 16.  I told a Princeton parent about it and referred to Ben as "future NCAA champion Ben Darmstadt."

And I saw Kolodzik's first bout.  I was underimpressed.  He was wrestling some guy I didn't know and he didn't show much.  Took him a long time to grab a leg, took a long time to convert to a TD.  Rode pretty well, pretty good defense.  No flash, nothing unusual, pure vanilla.  I left thinking that Klod would disappoint.  Well, Kolodzik won the tournament.  Went 4-0, all regular decisions, he just vanilla'd them to death.  He didn't do much, but what he did he was very, very good at.  Looking back, he reminds me of Jordan Kutler.  He's Princeton's only 4-time All-American.

The guy he beat in the first round, in the bout I watched, was AC Headlee.  Then he beat Kevin Budock, Zach Finesilver, and Army's Logan Everett; as a true freshman in the open division.  Headlee came all the way back for 5th, the highest finish possible to him.

5 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Are you talking about Escobedo? Maybe a little misleading to not include who was beating him in the room. He did have a lot of national success too.

Hernandez and Jose Escobedo also. He was 4th in a strong room.

13 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed he was losing to those two as well. He had way more college success than either. 

While he only managed the one 6th place finish as a sophomore he was always ranked in the top 5 (maybe even 1st at one point?). Just struggled to put together a good NCAA tournament. 

17 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Were you in the room? Bc I wrestled with those guys at National training camps and that is far from what I remember. Even the weight class difference almost makes that laughable. 2002 Keque(Jose) was 103 and Angel was 112 with Alex at 130. Even in 2004 Keque was 119, Angel 130 and Alex 145. 

Edited by Regulator
Spelling

7 minutes ago, Regulator said:

We’re you in the room? Bc I wrestled with those guys at National training camps and that is far from what I remember. Even the weight class difference almost makes that laughable. 2002 Keque(Jose) was 103 and Angel was 112 with Alex at 130. Even in 2004 Keque was 119, Angel 130 and Alex 145. 

Agreed,Both Andre and angel AA'd the same year at IU, but I dont think they were beating up on Alex in high school. Thats just not the case. 

On 8/1/2020 at 12:07 PM, Juanma25 said:

Thought Glasgow was going to be better the his HS teammate Lewis in college. Beat Griffith in the state finals and looked the part.  That certainly did not pan out but Glasgow still has a few years left to prove me wrong!

I was high in Glasgow too, but in hindsight this is hilarious

4 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I was high in Glasgow too, but in hindsight this is hilarious

The latest estimates are that Scotland has about 60,000 problem drug users, or 1.6% of the adult population. Scotland has "proportionately way more drug users than the rest of the UK" says Dr Andrew McAuley, a senior research fellow at Glasgow Caledonian University.Feb 26, 2020

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

The latest estimates are that Scotland has about 60,000 problem drug users, or 1.6% of the adult population. Scotland has "proportionately way more drug users than the rest of the UK" says Dr Andrew McAuley, a senior research fellow at Glasgow Caledonian University.Feb 26, 2020

In my experience, about 90% of Scots can hold their liquor.  This can be extended to all drug users.  So, 9 x 1.6 = 14.4% of the adult population of Scotland are non-problem drug users.  That is not that bad.

Surprised by was How well Kevin Steinhaus and Brett Pfarr developed. They were top class A wrestlers with untapped potential playing multiple sports in high school.

Busts I seen coming were Brandon Florida guys because they were all held back age wise and were 19 when they graduated high school. 

On 8/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, Idaho said:

Yes David Craig...reminded me some of Jeff Knupp as well. 

I don’t agree on the Knupp comparison.  He struck me as a little slow for college wrestling.  Craig was an excellent athlete.  Perhaps you mean he HEW, about which I have no knowledge.

I agree about Nickal.  I thought his big throws couldn’t work against top notch college wrestlers.  They almost never do,  He did it often.

Edited by Sstern

14 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

In my experience, about 90% of Scots can hold their liquor.  This can be extended to all drug users.  So, 9 x 1.6 = 14.4% of the adult population of Scotland are non-problem drug users.  That is not that bad.

Honestly still lower than I'd have guessed.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:06 PM, bnwtwg said:

No way was he losing to Jose Escobedo.  I don't believe that for a second.    I could see Hernandez getting the better of him from time to time, but no way Jose Escobedo was.

4 hours ago, Sstern said:

I don’t agree on the Knupp comparison.  He struck me as a little slow for college wrestling.  Craig was an excellent athlete.  Perhaps you mean he HEW, about which I have no knowledge.

I agree about Nickal.  I thought his big throws couldn’t work against top notch college wrestlers.  They almost never do,  He did it often.

That's why it says reminded me some of Jeff Knupp - I agree Craig was a level above - 4x champ, Fargo double champ, probably higher expectations. The comparison comes that you have two big guys - 4x champ - 3x champ. Iron man champs. High expectations. Didn't meet those expectations. That was the context of the comments- more of a generalization. You will always find some differences. Agree on Nickel - I too didn't think some of his stuff would work in college. Like he said, he's been doing that stuff since jr. high and it keeps working. 

On 1/4/2020 at 10:18 AM, OBXWrestler said:

Which guy(s) were you wrong about coming out of high school? Either you thought they would be great and they didn’t pan out for one reason or another or you weren’t high on them and they turn out to be really good. 

The guy I thought was going to be an absolute monster that didn’t turn out that way was Patrick Bond.  

The guy that I wasn’t high on in high school was I-Mar. Completely missed on that one. 

I was wrong about Alex Tsirtsis.