Sign in to follow this  
Badger Fan

Rankings Websites - Who's Your Favorite?

Wrestling has a crazy number of websites that provide college rankings, including

Win Magazine, Wrestle Stat, The Open Mat, Intermat, FloWrestling, Trackwrestling, Amateur Wrestling News - I think that is all of them

Who's your favorite? Each of them seem to have their advantages....

For rankings I go with Flo, even though they are a little inconsistent occasionally. 

But I use wrestle stat the most because you have results for every collegiate wrestler right at your fingertips and you can use the head to head matchup tool to see common opponents and results there. 

1 hour ago, jon said:

Why no more?

For reasons stated in the recent past, they are way too inconsistent with the talented freshmen wrestlers. All over the map really. 

Since others have mentioned them, I use wrestlestat a lot. They don't seem like a pure ranking per se, more an algorithm, but they add in so much additional information they are probably the single most complete source of information as its not close really. 

Don't all the ranking services identify the good wrestlers?

Especially this time of year, I'm looking at whether a wrestler is ranked at all (not taking rankings below 15 too seriously) and whether a wrestler is in top 8 or so.
The exact order is meaningless.

In late February it means more, but still,  the All-Americans at NCAAs come from a wide range of rankings.

I use intermat or Flo just to give me a heads-up when watching dual meets.

i'll preface this with saying i appreciate ALL rankings services and understand how much work it is to develop and maintain them.

i'll also say that if there's a set of rankings I look at most consistently it would be FLO.

now - the gripe I have with FLO rankings is how they change throughout the season.  For instance - if #14 beats #2 then it seems its an automatic decision to make that #14 now #2.  This is the easiest and most OBJECTIVE way to run things throughout the season.  however there needs to be some subjectivity when it comes to rankings in my opinion.  If you see a #14 in NCAA football beat #2 - that team does not automatically jump to #2 like spey runs things.  There is a subjective BUMP to the #14 team, and a subject DROP to the #2 team.  sometimes even thought he team lost - they could still be ranked ahead of the team that just beat them given quality of competition, conference, etc.

I looked at rankings today from Track and they were pretty good in each weight class for the top 10. But after that it was pretty much a crap shoot. A good example is at 165. They have Quintin Perez 18 and Kennedy Monday 19. Monday just beat Perez head to head at Midlands. Seems like those two should be flipped. 

Another feature in case not everyone is aware, you can always "generate your own rankings" (at least top 12) by using the Tourney Projection Tool. That will let you save your own wrestler rankings, as well as what the result would be for the National Tournament.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/tourney/projection

Here are some of my comments:

Win Magazine - Content has improved this year in my view. Great source for articles and rankings. Still offers a magazine. 
Wrestle Stat - DI and DII Ratings, Starters, non-starters, RPI. Awesome Website for comparisons.Ranking include all wrestlers. The winner predictions are fun!
The Open Mat - Now has Top 33 DI Rankings and Top 16 DII Rankings - the number of wrestlers that go to the NCAA tournament.
Intermat - I personally like their rankings the best. Coverage for DI, DI, DIII, NAIA, NJCAA.
FloWrestling - The amount of video coverage is unbelievable. Rankings sometimes seems too reactive. Arena is easier to find tourneys than Track.                        
Trackwrestling - Improved Video, Nationwide tournament and duals, Top 33 DI rankings, excellent articles.                                                                                                 Amateur Wrestling News - Was traditionally the best years ago. Like their rankings, offers magazines.
Pirate - Like the team, individual calculations. Breakdowns starters/nonstarters and rank all of them but helps identify where a wrestler stands against starters. Not always easy to find the information at the word press website though

Frustrated we need subscriptions separately from each outlet; wondering if some of them could have a combined subscription? 

Edited by Badger Fan