Sign in to follow this  
MDogg

Future Olympic weight classes (with women’s greco)

For everyone (including myself) who hates the fact there are only 6 Olympic weight classes, the reality is that we are very likely going down to 5 in the not so distant Olympic future. Both UWW and the IOC have essentially said its a matter of when - not if - women’s greco becomes an Olympic sport. When that happens, the UWW has essentially conceded that the IOC won’t reward the move with more overall wrestling slots. Here’s a history of total Olympic weight classes (men’s only until 2004, combines men’s and women’s thereafter) over the past 10 games:

1984: 20

1988: 20

1992: 20

1996: 20

2000: 16

2004: 18

2008: 18

2012: 18

2016: 18

2020: 18

So when women’s greco gets added, we’re very likely going to 5 per discipline. There’s a scenario where we actually to go 4.5, with freestyle and greco alternating between 4 and 5 weight classes every other Olympics...but I’ll ignore that scenario for now. 

Based on how UWW has consolidated weight classes in the past when faced with reductions, here’s my best guess how the weights look if/when women’s greco is an Olympic sport and we’re down to 5 per discipline:

59k/129.6lbs

68k/149.6lbs

79k/173.8lbs

93k/204.6lbs

120k/264lbs

This generally follows how UWW has consolidated down in the recent past. Lightest weight bumps up a little, heaviest comes down a little, and the % increase between the weight classes increases and stays somewhat consistent. 

This isn’t what I want to see, it’s just my best guess what we will see in a 5 Olympic weight class per discipline scenario. 

Square it up.

60(132.3)

70(154.3)

80(176.4)

100 (220.5)

130(286.6)

Slap in four non-oly weights the other three years to bring it back up to 9 weights.

55(121.3)

65(143.3)

75(165.3)

90(198.4)

5 hours ago, wnywrestling said:

I wonder if that's a sign for things to come for senior greco. Is there a precedent for them trying things in the youth Olympics before they implement it in the real one?

15 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Square it up.

60(132.3)

70(154.3)

80(176.4)

100 (220.5)

130(286.6)

Slap in four non-oly weights the other three years to bring it back up to 9 weights.

55(121.3)

65(143.3)

75(165.3)

90(198.4)

This a cool scheme. Easy to grasp. Different cutpoints between freestyle and Greco-Roman?

Years ago Rich Bender pitched a different idea: In 'normal' years lol (i.e., in non-Oly years) don't just add weight classes but also change weight classes. Make the expanded set completely different than the Olympics set. This way, in the Olympics year, everyone goes to a 'different' weight class. And no weight class, on its face, is lesser/inferior to any other.

Edited by jon

34 minutes ago, jon said:

This a cool scheme. Easy to grasp. Different cutpoints between freestyle and Greco-Roman?

Years ago Rich Bender pitched a different idea: In 'normal' years lol (i.e., in non-Oly years) don't just add weight classes but also change weight classes. Make the expanded set completely different than the Olympics set. This way, in the Olympics year, everyone goes to a 'different' weight class. And no weight class, on its face, is lesser/inferior to any other.

How would you do that? Assuming 5 for Oly still. How many for Worlds? How would you do the weight classes then? My OCD tells me I need to think on it a bit. :P

39 minutes ago, jon said:

Additionally I would have gone with 10, but the splits were easy to do.

I'd be just as satisfied to add a 10th Worlds weight at 110 keggers or eliminating 55 keggers and going with 8.

18 hours ago, jon said:

One more idea: Just add weights to WFS?

I guess a weight class could be added on both ends (48kg like Juniors and maybe 80kg) but the rest of the WFS weights might be tougher to adjust. They are already pretty close together.

On 1/7/2020 at 5:39 AM, Shiraz123 said:

I wonder if that's a sign for things to come for senior greco. Is there a precedent for them trying things in the youth Olympics before they implement it in the real one?

There have only been 3 summer youth Olympics and 2 winter so there's not much history. What IS happening at all Olympics is an inclusion of sports that are locally popular. Traditional wrestling is big in Senegal, the host of the 2022 youth games; and their wrestling would typically be done in the sand, so beach wrestling somehow touches that.