Sign in to follow this  
russelscout

Any chance that olympics allow 2 qualifiers from one country in the future.

8 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Other sports allow multiple qualifiers per event. Any chance the world or olympics makes this move with all of these guys wrestling for other countries anyways. I never understand why in wrestling this is never considered.

Very very unlikely.  One of two things would have to happen:  A) Lengthening the program  or 2)other countries would be cut out.

The IOC has no interest in doing either.  In fact have been working for decades in the opposite direction. And personally speaking, for our sport at least, I would prefer not.  One flag vs another flag.

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Very very unlikely.  One of two things would have to happen:  A) Lengthening the program  or 2)other countries would be cut out.

The IOC has no interest in doing either.  In fact have been working for decades in the opposite direction. And personally speaking, for our sport at least, I would prefer not.  One flag vs another flag.

Or trimming the # of weight classes or styles, which will not work. I don’t think the UWW is on board with a 2 qualifiers/country for Worlds, and that would be the place to start.

My suggestion is to petition for freestyle to be added as an event in the Modern Pentathlon (hexathlon?) since it mysteriously survives from being cut out of the Olympics time and again.

We are a bound to the IOC during Olympic years, and they will never do it, but we should absolutely do this during our World championships.  Leaving some of the best wrestlers in the World back home (often in Dagestan/Chechnya) never made sense to me.