I like him on the show. I actually wasn't sure if it would be a great fit, but so far I have enjoyed it. I thought he would be too domineering, but really for the first episode(which is still going on) I think there has been pretty good back and forth with the crew.

I think 5 voices are one or two too many though. As eluded too Askren, CP and Nomad all have the ability to get long winded and dominate the discussion. Will give it some time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, grappler6 said:

I think 5 voices are one or two too many though. 

Too bad for the other guys.  They got shuffled to the bottom of the deck after a few weeks at the top.  

When they split screen...you can see how miserable they are.  Just sitting there holding a mic, looking around, checking their phones...

Edited by Mphillips

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

Too bad for the other guys.  They got shuffled to the bottom of the deck after a few weeks at the top.  

When they split screen...you can see how miserable they are.  Just sitting there holding a mic, looking around, checking their phones...

I would say that Bray had an opportunity to shine. He really bared it all in this episode.

Bottom line as it pertains to numbers of people - you can have too many. And they do.

Ultimately, someone has to steer the ship. One - *maybe* two others, but without clearly defined roles, people just start talking over each other, missing the point that is being made, derailing discussions, etc.

I remember when Ben Askren had a podcast with the heavyweight from Ohio State (Tom Rowland). That was an excellent podcast (sans the political bantering) that balanced discussion with philosophy with principles with ideas with reason with logic and so on about the sport of wrestling. They even hosted a few guests from time to time. The two seemed to get along well. I'm not sure why it folded.

Edited by RealAmericanHero

20 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

Bottom line as it pertains to numbers of people - you can have too many. And they do.

Ultimately, someone has to steer the ship. One - *maybe* two others, but without clearly defined roles, people just start talking over each other, missing the point that is being made, derailing discussions, etc.

They honestly did a pretty nice job regarding your point above.  

The other two cats off camera, didn't need to be there.  Which I think kind of sucks, cause I like them both.

1 hour ago, RealAmericanHero said:

I remember when Ben Askren had a podcast with the heavyweight from Ohio State (Tom Rowland). That was an excellent podcast (sans the political bantering) that balanced discussion with philosophy with principles with ideas with reason with logic and so on about the sport of wrestling. They even hosted a few guests from time to time. The two seemed to get along well. I'm not sure why it folded.

When rudis started to take off Tommy said he was way to busy to follow wrestling enough to be able to do a podcast, and that he was also the reason it was so inconsistent when they would do new episodes. 
I agree ,I thought they were great together probably my favorite of all wrestling podcasts 

1 hour ago, RealAmericanHero said:

Tommy didn’t have time to continue. He travels quite a bit for work and he has a ton of kids too. 

I liked it, but neither really prepped for the show or knows how to run a podcast. every single episode I would catch mistakes about results. Often times they were results from the week prior.  Their analysis was awesome for sure though. 

I actually think Ben in conjunction with guys who are literally paid to prepare and have a professional studio is a step up. 

I just listened to yesterday's show. Askren's addition makes the show a lot more compelling. 

Two bits of info that caught my attention. Not production value related, college wrestling related. One, Joey Silva is back! I like it. Hope its legit. Two, and this is too funny. Based on Flo's current rankings they have Iowa at 135.5 tournament points. They have Penn State at 74 tournament points. The delta is 61.5 points. They know its a lot closer than this, but that will make for a great stat if PSU somehow, someway makes it rain in MInneapolis. 

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I just listened to yesterday's show. Askren's addition makes the show a lot more compelling. 

Two bits of info that caught my attention. Not production value related, college wrestling related. One, Joey Silva is back! I like it. Hope its legit. Two, and this is too funny. Based on Flo's current rankings they have Iowa at 135.5 tournament points. They have Penn State at 74 tournament points. The delta is 61.5 points. They know its a lot closer than this, but that will make for a great stat if PSU somehow, someway makes it rain in MInneapolis. 

Come on Tbar, even you can understand the difference between Rankings in the first week of January and NCAA Tournament scoring.

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Hence the disclaimers you overlooked. 

No disclaimer.  You are saying that two things that aren’t the same may be wrong at predicting each other.

Edited by jchapman

What I really loved about trow and funky show was listening to two immensely accomplished wrestlers get into both technical discussion as well as conceptual thoughts on how things are run at various levels of the sport. 

at the end of the day the only somewhat accomplished wrestler on FRL is bratke and unfortunately he takes a backseat for most of the podcast. 

Don’t get me wrong I like FRL and listen to every episode but I’ll take highly accomplished wrestlers over “wrestling nerds” every day. 

54 minutes ago, jchapman said:

No disclaimer.  You are saying that two things that aren’t the same may be wrong at predicting each other.

Nothing I stated is untrue. What it is, is interesting. 

1. The current delta between their rankings to tournament performance points is 61.5.

2. They know its a lot closer than this. 

3. That will make for a great stat if PSU somehow, someway makes it rain in MInneapolis. 

4 minutes ago, Witherman said:

What I really loved about trow and funky show was listening to two immensely accomplished wrestlers get into both technical discussion as well as conceptual thoughts on how things are run at various levels of the sport. 

at the end of the day the only somewhat accomplished wrestler on FRL is bratke and unfortunately he takes a backseat for most of the podcast. 

Don’t get me wrong I like FRL and listen to every episode but I’ll take highly accomplished wrestlers over “wrestling nerds” every day. 

In terms of the topics you mentioned (technique and conceptual stuff) I agree, but the flo "nerds" do typically have a much better grasp on the current news and results than guys like Askren and Rowlands who don't actually follow the sport as closely on a day-to-day basis. I often had a hard time getting through Trow and funky because they were never up to date on the current things going on and often didn't even seem to know all of the top guys. I think that's why it ultimately ended. Rowlands didn't have the time to follow the sport.

4 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

So if Carl wins does he finally earn the status of a good coach in the eyes of squak fans?

8 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

In terms of the topics you mentioned (technique and conceptual stuff) I agree, but the flo "nerds" do typically have a much better grasp on the current news and results than guys like Askren and Rowlands who don't actually follow the sport as closely on a day-to-day basis. I often had a hard time getting through Trow and funky because they were never up to date on the current things going on and often didn't even seem to know all of the top guys. I think that's why it ultimately ended. Rowlands didn't have the time to follow the sport.

I believe he said that, exactly.

8 minutes ago, Perry said:

So if Carl wins does he finally earn the status of a good coach in the eyes of squak fans?

If PSU somehow, someway wins this ..... I shudder the thought of the looks of THAT level of meltdown. I think Brands' brain would freeze first, though. 

Image result for tom brands

Edited by TBar1977

24 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Nothing I stated is untrue. What it is, is interesting. 

1. The current delta between their rankings to tournament performance points is 61.5.

2. They know its a lot closer than this. 

3. That will make for a great stat if PSU somehow, someway makes it rain in MInneapolis. 

Do you understand the difference between a fact and an opinion?