30 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Trust me, it will be the same as always. Lots of great wrestling to watch one way or the other. 

You do seem to already be boasting about PSU possibly winning and the Iowa fallout that would ensue, despite the fact that virtually no Iowa fan has been guarenteeing they would win this year.

Edited by russelscout

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

You do seem to already be boasting about PSU possibly winning and the Iowa fallout that would ensue, despite the fact that virtually no Iowa fan has been guarenteeing they would win this year.

I am not boasting about anything. I think Iowa is now a prohibitive favorite, but I do think its closer than the 60 plus pts Flo's tournament rankings project. What's the big deal? You sound sensitive. 

6 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I am not boasting about anything. I think Iowa is now a prohibitive favorite, but I do think its closer than the 60 plus pts Flo's tournament rankings project. What's the big deal? You sound sensitive. 

Not at all, but you are trying to embrace the position as underdog so either way you can rip on Iowa's performance and claim Iowa fans or flo were guarenteeing a win when they were not. Its creating a false narrative that you can take advantage of later. Its a pretty typical Tbarr shtick.

Yeah its most certainly closer than 60 pts. Thats why in FRL they have said that multiple times.

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Not at all, but you are trying to embrace the position as underdog so either way you can rip on Iowa's performance and claim Iowa fans or flo were guarenteeing a win when they were not. Its creating a false narrative that you can take advantage of later. Its a pretty typical Tbarr shtick.

Yeah its most certainly closer than 60 pts. Thats why in FRL they have said that multiple times.

I'm "trying to" embrace PSU as underdogs? They ARE under underdogs. 

I stated FRL's disclaimer information. Again, you sound sensitive. 

Edited by TBar1977

Askren bringing the casual racism to FRL the last 2 days by insisting Pantaleo should wrestle for another country because of his darker skin, saying he could "pass." Also didn't appear to know that the Amine's wrestle for San Marino because of their father being from there and not because of their darker skin. Seems to have an assumption that the darker your skin is, the more you'd be able to wrestle for another country.

Couple that with his insistence that Busiello was 100% going to make 125 this year (he was recently registered at a tournament at 149), and I'm not super impressed with the "perspective" he's brought to the show. 

12 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I'm "trying to" embrace PSU as underdogs? They ARE under underdogs. 

I stated FRL's disclaimer information. Again, you sound sensitive. 

Again, I already said I'm not sensitive. Gaslight all you want, it doesn't change the fact that you are saying that everyone knows the rankings aren't up to date with reality, while also saying PSU is a HUGE underdog and Iowa will have a fit if they don't win as such favorites. It seems like you acknowledge the problem, but embrace it at the same time to be opportunistic. 

3 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Askren bringing the casual racism to FRL the last 2 days by insisting Pantaleo should wrestle for another country because of his darker skin, saying he could "pass." Also didn't appear to know that the Amine's wrestle for San Marino because of their father being from there and not because of their darker skin. Seems to have an assumption that the darker your skin is, the more you'd be able to wrestle for another country.

Couple that with his insistence that Busiello was 100% going to make 125 this year (he was recently registered at a tournament at 149), and I'm not super impressed with the "perspective" he's brought to the show. 

The Amines maternal great-grandfather was from San Marino, not their father.

Edited by jchapman

1 minute ago, uncle bernard said:

rac·ist
/ˈrāsəst/
noun

1. a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

I don't know how bringing up peoples skin color for the sake of a discussion about skin color is racist. I used to work with a black girl who was very light skinned. At first glance she looked white. Is that racist? I don't think so, but maybe I am not as woke as I should be. 

29 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Again, I already said I'm not sensitive. Gaslight all you want, it doesn't change the fact that you are saying that everyone knows the rankings aren't up to date with reality, while also saying PSU is a HUGE underdog and Iowa will have a fit if they don't win as such favorites. It seems like you acknowledge the problem, but embrace it at the same time to be opportunistic. 

I said they were an underdog but that the 60.5 pts was ridiculous, but also an interesting stat. You are making this something its not, all the while denying your obvious sensitivity to all things Iowa. 

29 minutes ago, russelscout said:
rac·ist
/ˈrāsəst/
noun

1. a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

I don't know how bringing up peoples skin color for the sake of a discussion about skin color is racist. I used to work with a black girl who was very light skinned. At first glance she looked white. Is that racist? I don't think so, but maybe I am not as woke as I should be. 

No that's not racist and it's also not even close to what Askren did.

If Askren had simply mentioned that Pantaleo had dark skin, that's not racist. It's the fact that he mentioned his dark skin and therefore he should try to wrestle for another country. This thought relies on the assumption that the darker your skin is, the more foreign you are. He didn't say this about Mason Parris or Logan Massa, both of whom have better credentials than Pantaleo.

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I said they were an underdog but that the 60.5 pts was ridiculous, but also an interesting stat. You are making this something its not, all the while denying your obvious sensitivity to all things Iowa. 

Because I disagree with you or call you out does not make me sensitive. It's sad I need to remind you but this is a forum. A place where ideas are shared, criticized or embraced. Is everyone that calls you out sensitive? Is anyone that disagrees with you sensitive? That is a poor attempt to discredit someones opinion and I am thankful that most posters on this site don't resort to  that kind of manipulation. 

But you didn't say this because this is what I initially responded to:

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

If PSU somehow, someway wins this ..... I shudder the thought of the looks of THAT level of meltdown. I think Brands' brain would freeze first, though.

It would appear that "somehow, someway" is painting a picture that PSU is an extreme underdog, doesn't it? Also the fact the Iowa fans would melt down to extreme level would imply that they would agree that PSU is an extreme underdog. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You well accept the idea while also discrediting it. Once again, you are running with two narratives and embracing the one that serves you best at the time. 

Then again, I must be too sensitive. 

5 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

If Askren had simply mentioned that Pantaleo had dark skin, that's not racist. It's the fact that he mentioned his dark skin and therefore he should try to wrestle for another country. This thought relies on the assumption that the darker your skin is, the more foreign you are. He didn't say this about Mason Parris or Logan Massa, both of whom have better credentials than Pantaleo.

1. Pantaleo is more accomplished in freestyle then Massa and arguably Parris...

2. your whole assumption is that askren believes if you have dark skin your foreign, which unless your a mind reader is just your opinion. Nothing he said is racist 

23 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Because I disagree with you or call you out does not make me sensitive. It's sad I need to remind you but this is a forum. A place where ideas are shared, criticized or embraced. Is everyone that calls you out sensitive? Is anyone that disagrees with you sensitive? That is a poor attempt to discredit someones opinion and I am thankful that most posters on this site don't resort to  that kind of manipulation. 

But you didn't say this because this is what I initially responded to:

It would appear that "somehow, someway" is painting a picture that PSU is an extreme underdog, doesn't it? Also the fact the Iowa fans would melt down to extreme level would imply that they would agree that PSU is an extreme underdog. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You well accept the idea while also discrediting it. Once again, you are running with two narratives and embracing the one that serves you best at the time. 

Then again, I must be too sensitive. 

Why do you get so upset then when ideas are shared with you? You obviously do take issue with even the most benign comments, which seems like the very definition of being sensitive. 

And somehow, someway suggests they are an obvious underdog. The 60.5 spread suggests that right now they are a huge dog, meaning right this minute in relation to the rankings. The rankings and their correlation to those 60.5 pts are facts. My mentioning them is because of the very nature of the huge delta relative to how it will probably end up i.e. closer than that. 

You are turning this into something its not, because of your sensitive nature regarding Iowa. 

7 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I didn't take it like that. I thought the discussion was about how Michigan wrestlers were wrestling for other countries, it is expected that more will, and that Pantaleo would be be able to pass as a San Morinian. I thought the assumption was that the more Michigan you are the more foreign you become. haha

8 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I didn't take it like that. I thought the discussion was about how Michigan wrestlers were wrestling for other countries, it is expected that more will, and that Pantaleo would be be able to pass as a San Morinian. I thought the assumption was that the more Michigan you are the more foreign you become. haha

Maybe I’m mistaken but I feel like he did suggest that Massa look for a way also.

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

Why do you get so upset then when ideas are shared with you? You obviously do take issue with even the most benign comments, which seems like the very definition of being sensitive. 

And somehow, someway suggests they are an obvious underdog. The 60.5 spread suggests that right now they are a huge dog, meaning right this minute in relation to the rankings. The rankings and their correlation to those 60.5 pts are facts. My mentioning them is because of the very nature of the huge delta relative to how it will probably end up i.e. closer than that. 

You are turning this into something its not, because of your sensitive nature regarding Iowa. 

I am not upset; just addressing the accusation that I am sensitive. This is essentially what you are saying:

Tbar: you are sensitive about all things Iowa.

Me: No I am not

Tbar: See, you are being sensitive.

Quit trying to gaslight and stick to the convo. 

6 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Yes, and there is not anyone that disagrees with you on this. That is my point. No one sees the rankings as a legitimate indicator of the actual team race at this time. So why pretend like anyone does? Why pretend that Iowa fans would lose it and Brand's brain would freeze? Why pretend like PSU winning would be a miracle? You, I, Flo and everyone else knows that this will be a tight team race. So why would you both criticize the rankings and note that no one believes them, while also pretending that people actually feel this way. No one does. Isn't pretending that people disagree with you on that pushing a false narrative?

58 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

And somehow, someway suggests they are an obvious underdog. The 60.5 spread suggests that right now they are a huge dog, meaning right this minute in relation to the rankings. The rankings and their correlation to those 60.5 pts are facts.

How many times do we have to go over this?  Individual rankings in early January are not the same as predictions on NCAA Tournament scoring.

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

I'm not sure he was brought in for his "perspective?"  I'm pretty certain he was brought in for his, 'celebrity.'

3 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

I stopped listening when Askren's justification for Dieringer beating Amine is because Dieringer has three NCAA titles. Huh? What the hell does that have to do with anything related to the topic at hand. 

17 minutes ago, MagnetBack said:

I stopped listening when Askren's justification for Dieringer beating Amine is because Dieringer has three NCAA titles. Huh? What the hell does that have to do with anything related to the topic at hand. 

Well does NCAA success generally correlate with international success? I would say it does.

I’m enjoying Askren on FRL a lot.  Fits in real well.  Part of the fun of FRL is how light hearted or amusing the guys can be.  Feels like the banter of friends you’d want to be around (usually).  

So far a big step up from Willie in my humble opinion.