Sign in to follow this  
jerseywrestling

Best Wrestlers in Stanford History

Best Wrestlers in Stanford History

920x920.jpg

The top five wrestlers in Cardinal history won a total of ten NCAA medals and one title and include a two-time finalist and a three-time medalist! Check out the best Stanford wrestlers of all-time ranked by NCAA medals!

Here are the top five!

Rank - Name - Score - Finishes

#1 - Nick Amuchastegui - 33 - 4,2,2
#2 - Matt Gentry - 16 - 1
#3 - Tanner Gardner - 14 - 8,7,5
#4 - Ryan Mango - 13 - 6,5
#5 - Joey McKenna - 10 - 3

There have been 20 All-American wrestlers who have won 26 medals in Stanford history!

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_team_profile.php?team=Stanford

Check out the full list in this Rokfin exclusive!

https://rokfin.com/ranking/184

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

Ohio State's Colt Sponseller was a top 6 all season when he ran into two unknowns at NCAA's--Amuchastegui and Tyler Caldwell.  Both beat him and he didn't get on the podium.  What made it galling at the time was that Jon Reader had been upset and Sponseller appeared to have a clear path to the semis.  Both Amuch and Caldwell turned out to be pretty dmn good.  

16 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I still can’t believe Gentry was both a champ and 1xAA. How many have the same results? Can’t be a long list. 

I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head.

Fred Bohna. Unlimited. UCLA. 1979?

Jesse Whitmer. 118 Iowa, 1997?

Anthony Cassar. 285. Penn State 2019

Also I think Noel Loban, who won NCAAs over Dan Severn in 1980 at 190lbs only placed once. Not sure on this one.

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I still can’t believe Gentry was both a champ and 1xAA. How many have the same results? Can’t be a long list. 

Macchiavello is the most recent guy I can think of (who has finished his collegiate career). He didn't qualify his two years, took a redshirt, made the R12 as a RS junior, then won it all as a senior at 197.  That's quite the improvement from year to year. 

If Cassar is done with his collegiate career then he'll be the most recent (already mentioned by 77again). 

4 hours ago, 77again said:

I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head.

Fred Bohna. Unlimited. UCLA. 1979?

Jesse Whitmer. 118 Iowa, 1997?

Anthony Cassar. 285. Penn State 2019

Also I think Noel Loban, who won NCAAs over Dan Severn in 1980 at 190lbs only placed once. Not sure on this one.

Also:

Brad Smith.  142, Iowa 1976

Byron Tucker 174, Oklahoma 2000

McKenna should be higher unless you don't want to count his success at Ohio State. He has two thirds and a second place plus an R12. That's arguably better than anyone on the list. 

7 hours ago, goStanford18 said:

Macchiavello is the most recent guy I can think of (who has finished his collegiate career). He didn't qualify his two years, took a redshirt, made the R12 as a RS junior, then won it all as a senior at 197.  That's quite the improvement from year to year. 

If Cassar is done with his collegiate career then he'll be the most recent (already mentioned by 77again). 

I cried when he beat Haught. Jared has beaten him 2 or 3 ties that year alone.

25 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

McKenna should be higher unless you don't want to count his success at Ohio State. He has two thirds and a second place plus an R12. That's arguably better than anyone on the list. 

Why would Stanford count what McKenna did at OSU?