jerseywrestling

It's Official: Cassar Out for the Season

Cassar Out for the Season

5dc1f3f1845a6.image.jpg?resize=1200,725

Coach Cael Sanderson announced on Tuesday that returning NCAA champion and former NJ state champion Anthony Cassar of Montgomery would miss the rest of the season due to injury.

Sanderson confirmed it was a shoulder injury and that Cassar will now focus on rehabbing his shoulder while still focusing his goal of qualifying for the Olympic Trials.

Cassar last wrestled at the U.S. Senior Nationals in an attempt to qualify for the Olympic Team Trials and injury defaulted after losing to Dom Bradley by 7-2 decision in the quarterfinals.

Full Story

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/wrestling/article_3f58a47e-317d-11ea-99d8-e3c710a45d1b.html?fbclid=IwAR0vcQV78nAfSkE6fHYZYYrY2aUk8WbsqieGRiHTDj1AmbzuBQGWkRkwcVo

Anthony Cassar's Profile

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_profile.php?name=Anthony%20Cassar&team=Penn%20State

Penn State's Profile

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_team_profile.php?team=Penn%20State

NCAA Rankings

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_rankings.php

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

Either the NCAA needs to adhere to their limitations for eligibility, or get rid of them completely.  If enrolled, and have skill, then anyone, even in their 23rd year, should be eligible.  None of any of our business how it's financed, unless it's by taxpayers, and then that's different 

That's too bad. I thought Cassar would repeat as champion this year.

He'll probably start training for MMA after this Olympic cycle, so he's likely done with college wrestling.

In the end, he only got one NCAA post-season, and came away with the title. It's a remarkable story for someone who dealt with so much adversity.

Well done, Champ.

Just now, Katie said:

That's too bad. I thought Cassar would repeat as champion this year.

He'll probably start training for MMA after this Olympic cycle, so he's likely done with college wrestling.

In the end, he only got one NCAA post-season, and came away with the title. It's a remarkable story for someone who dealt with so much adversity.

Well done, Champ.

If he goes to MMA/UFC  Remember he is Injury Prone, With College Wrestling it is Takedown, Contain, Control, escape  with MMA/UFC it is To Force a Surrender and Knockout, Basically to injure hurt,  I am sure he would be a handful for ANYONE when healthy, but a history of injuries, in a sport with the goal of making a Person who is a Warrior, who has a NEVER quit mindset, probably wont end well.    I Hope I am wrong and he has a Great Career.

9 minutes ago, dougb said:

If he goes to MMA/UFC  Remember he is Injury Prone, With College Wrestling it is Takedown, Contain, Control, escape  with MMA/UFC it is To Force a Surrender and Knockout, Basically to injure hurt,  I am sure he would be a handful for ANYONE when healthy, but a history of injuries, in a sport with the goal of making a Person who is a Warrior, who has a NEVER quit mindset, probably wont end well.    I Hope I am wrong and he has a Great Career.

You're making it sound like MMA is tougher than wrestling. It's not.

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Either the NCAA needs to adhere to their limitations for eligibility, or get rid of them completely.  If enrolled, and have skill, then anyone, even in their 23rd year, should be eligible.  None of any of our business how it's financed, unless it's by taxpayers, and then that's different 

So are you saying this year should or shouldn’t count as a year for Cassar?

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

So are you saying this year should or shouldn’t count as a year for Cassar?

In my perfect world, Cassar, or anyone else that is a.) Enrolled full time, b.) In good standing c.) Has the talent, and d.) Isnt sucking on the taxpayer dollar to do it... Should be allowed as many years as they wish.

2 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

In my perfect world, Cassar, or anyone else that is a.) Enrolled full time, b.) In good standing c.) Has the talent, and d.) Isnt sucking on the taxpayer dollar to do it... Should be allowed as many years as they wish.

Ah got ya.  Yeah I remember you saying that before.

38 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Well he is on the tax payer dollar taking space at a public university, so how does that change your view?

12 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

That is every student there...right?

Most students pay their own way, or should say full tuition, housing etc.  But sure probally some level of tax payer subsidy (facilities, infrastructure  built by previous generations etc) but some are on tax payer dime more than others.  Those taking 5 years to complete a 4 year degree also taking spots away from new incoming tuition paying freshmen. 

2 hours ago, jchapman said:

In all seriousness, will he be awarded an eighth year? 

It seems like a reasonable interpretation of the conflicting messages in the story above.  On the one hand, flat out saying done for the college year; on the other hand saying he wants to rehab and qualify for OTT.  Isn't that last chance qualifier only 3 weeks after Big Tens?  Being so clear about closing the door on one and not the other seems strange unless there is a benefit (redshirt) to giving up on the college year.  

42 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

165) Joseph
174) Hall
184) Brooks
197) Rasheed
285) Nevills

That's still a murders row if Rasheed is healthy. Still 75+ points at NCAA's. 

Joseph:  4-0

Hall:  12-0

Brooks:  5-0

Rasheed:  0-0

Nevills:  6-0

2 hours ago, Mphillips said:

That is every student there...right?

One could argue that it's subsidized, but unless you're on scholly, you're in need of grants or are going in debt with massive loans.  So... No?