jerseywrestling

It's Official: Cassar Out for the Season

Penn state just lost Conel a former 3rd in NCAA and Cassar returning NCAA champion, and somehow are coming out of this with a stronger lineup. That’s crazy! Rasheed and Nevills will likely be as good or better combination than Conel/Cassar. 

4 hours ago, Fletcher said:

You're making it sound like MMA is tougher than wrestling. It's not.

Not Harder, but Different.  Any Part that has a history of being injured WILL BE TARGETED In MMA.

30 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Nevills in a better position to hold off Steveson, Cass, Parris, etc?

No I think they lose a little bit at heavyweight but gain a good bit at 197 assuming Rasheed is 100%. I see two AA in this situation vs one out of two previously 

17 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

No I think they lose a little bit at heavyweight but gain a good bit at 197 assuming Rasheed is 100%. I see two AA in this situation vs one out of two previously 

Lose a little at HWY? they had a clear favorite and now they will be happy to place. Why would you assume Rasheed is 100%

12 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Lose a little at HWY? they had a clear favorite and now they will be happy to place. Why would you assume Rasheed is 100%

Well little is a subjective term. I’d put Cassar in 1-3 range and Nevills in 5-10 range. That would be a small drop off for most teams losing a national champ. As far Rasheeds health... Cael doesn’t care about duals, so if he is wrestling him now rather than letting him heal longer, we should assume he is 100%. I will concede that it’s a tough call which combination would score higher in NCAA points. If Cassar would have won it again, that alone might be as many points as Rasheed/Nevills combined. But this is all speculation... my point is it is amazing how penn state just reloads after what would be two devastating losses.

20 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Why would you assume he’s not healthy? And nevills as an 18 yr old greyshirt beat the guy that took 6th last year so I would say penn state probably expects him to AA this year 

1 minute ago, Eagle26 said:

Well little is a subjective term. I’d put Cassar in 1-3 range and Nevills in 5-10 range. That would be a small drop off for most teams losing a national champ. As far Rasheeds health... Cael doesn’t care about duals, so if he is wrestling him now rather than letting him heal longer, we should assume he is 100%. I will concede that it’s a tough call which combination would score higher in NCAA points. If Cassar would have won it again, that alone might be as many points as Rasheed/Nevills combined. But this is all speculation... my point is it is amazing how penn state just reloads after what would be two devastating losses.

Yeah but we don't know if they reloaded....and we have no idea if Conel was a loss or not.

8 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Why would you assume he’s not healthy? And nevills as an 18 yr old greyshirt beat the guy that took 6th last year so I would say penn state probably expects him to AA this year 

Honestly I thought seth was Nick till this afternoon. Who did Seth Beat?

Cael recruiting over him isnt a great sign.

Edited by hammerlockthree

8 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I assume you understand but i screwed up so i will explain anyway. Bob was a random name i picked to make fun of Cael for neglecting someone I neglected to a greater extent. 

Well now I beg to differ.  Bob is not a random name, it's generally considered a short or nickname for Robert, it starts with a b and ends with a b, it's the same spelled forward or backward, hardly "random."  ;)

PS: so I'll ask again ... what about Bob?

:)

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, hammerlockthree said:

Hemida from Maryland...nevills was 16-1 his only lose was In OT to Thomas from Pitt, and nevills was the number 8 overall recruit in his class it’s not like we re talking about Austin hoopes here, I wouldn’t expect nevills to be top 4 but I definitely see him getting on the podium or being R12 at worst 

Edited by Antitroll2828

3 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Penn state just lost Conel a former 3rd in NCAA and Cassar returning NCAA champion, and somehow are coming out of this with a stronger lineup. That’s crazy! Rasheed and Nevills will likely be as good or better combination than Conel/Cassar. 

Lol at "lost."  I know Conel has battled injuries throughout his career, but everyone knows he was about to be benched.   This kinda smells of Cael just trying to give him a graceful exit.

On that note, the "but Rasheed/Nevills may be better than Conel/Cassar" is weak.  The last "plan" was almost certainly Rasheed/Cassar so swapping Cassar for Nevills is obviously worse.   Even if he AA's that's a big dropoff from a likely finalist.

7 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

I'm pretty sure every team would have recruited Kerk over their current heavy except Minny.

9 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Hemida from Maryland...nevills was 16-1 his only lose was In OT to Thomas from Pitt, and nevills was the number 8 overall recruit in his class it’s not like we re talking about Austin hoopes here, I wouldn’t expect nevills to be top 4 but I definitely see him getting on the podium or being R12 at worst 

Way too much stock being put into that Hemida win. Hemida was not the same guy at the beginning of the year last year. Like Hidlay, he had a bad U23 hangover. That Nevills loss was in his first tournament back, a small open where he was just trying to get mat time. He was at a different level later in the year.

Nevills is a huge drop off from Cassar, at least 15 points, but more than likely 20+ imo. I would be very surprised if Nevills placed and frankly wouldn't put him in the R12 right now. There's a reason the Penn State fans have been wanting Kervliet the last 2 years and were so pumped when they finally got him. They know what they have in Nevills and if they thought they had a freshman AA level guy, I don't think they would have been as pumped about Kerk.

3 hours ago, unbiased said:

I'm pretty sure every team would have recruited Kerk over their current heavy except Minny.

Not if you thought you had a guy that could put up similar tournament points (Cassioppi for example). Even if you think your guy would finish below Kerkvliet, if he's within a spot or a few, it's not worth the extra money that you could use filling a lineup spot where you don't have a top 5 guy. If Cael and company were confident that Nevills was a top 5/future finalist contender I think they would have held off on Kerk. 

Go over to BWI right now. They're trying to drum up every possible way Kerk could wrestle for them this year. If they really thought Nevills was a guy who is going to score serious points, they wouldn't be stressing it. 

15 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Way too much stock being put into that Hemida win. Hemida was not the same guy at the beginning of the year last year. Like Hidlay, he had a bad U23 hangover. That Nevills loss was in his first tournament back, a small open where he was just trying to get mat time. He was at a different level later in the year.

Nevills is a huge drop off from Cassar, at least 15 points, but more than likely 20+ imo. I would be very surprised if Nevills placed and frankly wouldn't put him in the R12 right now. There's a reason the Penn State fans have been wanting Kervliet the last 2 years and were so pumped when they finally got him. They know what they have in Nevills and if they thought they had a freshman AA level guy, I don't think they would have been as pumped about Kerk.

Kerk is a number 1 overall recruit and if you don’t think Iowa would have taken him on if he wanted to go there your crazy..also it wasn’t the beginning of last year they wrestled in January, hemida was back for 2 months from u23s he was also a 23/24 year old 5th year senior who lost to an 18 yr old who hadn’t stepped foot in a college room yet. Now he has months of training with Cassar, Snyder ,Bo, his brother , Varner and he’s not even R12? 

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

Not if you thought you had a guy that could put up similar tournament points (Cassioppi for example). Even if you think your guy would finish below Kerkvliet, if he's within a spot or a few, it's not worth the extra money that you could use filling a lineup spot where you don't have a top 5 guy. If Cael and company were confident that Nevills was a top 5/future finalist contender I think they would have held off on Kerk. 

Go over to BWI right now. They're trying to drum up every possible way Kerk could wrestle for them this year. If they really thought Nevills was a guy who is going to score serious points, they wouldn't be stressing it. 

If Gable Steveson wanted to transfer to Iowa, you think Iowa wouldnt pursue it?