jerseywrestling

It's Official: Cassar Out for the Season

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Kerk is a number 1 overall recruit and if you don’t think Iowa would have taken him on if he wanted to go there your crazy..also it wasn’t the beginning of last year they wrestled in January, hemida was back for 2 months from u23s he was also a 23/24 year old 5th year senior who lost to an 18 yr old who hadn’t stepped foot in a college room yet. Now he has months of training with Cassar, Snyder ,Bo, his brother , Varner and he’s not even R12? 

It was Hemida's first tournament back. That's a fact and non debatable. 

And if Kerk wanted to come for little to no money, then obviously Iowa would take him, but if he required significant money, I think they'd be happy with Cass and spend that money on weight classes where they don't have that kind of talent right now.

If Kerk is going to Penn State for no money, then you can take that part of my argument away and I'll still say I don't think much of Nevills based on what I've seen of him. I think he could be R12, but I also think he'll be in tight battles with everyone ranked 10-25 and could very easily go 1-2. Also R12 scores almost nothing at the tournament (typically 2-3 points) so my point about it being a huge drop off from Cassar, who was a 20+ point lock, still stands.

Edited by uncle bernard

15 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

If Gable Steveson wanted to transfer to Iowa, you think Iowa wouldnt pursue it?

They'd kick the tires, but I don't think it would be a top priority. Kerk is also less proven than Gable. If Iowa believes that Cass will be the #2 guy behind Gable, that money is better spent on recruits in weight classes were they don't have guys they think can score 20+ points. This calculation happens at every single program.

Now, if Gable/Kerk wanted to come for free, then obviously Iowa isn't going to tell them to take a hike. I'm assuming that's not a possibility.

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Kerk is a number 1 overall recruit and if you don’t think Iowa would have taken him on if he wanted to go there your crazy..also it wasn’t the beginning of last year they wrestled in January, hemida was back for 2 months from u23s he was also a 23/24 year old 5th year senior who lost to an 18 yr old who hadn’t stepped foot in a college room yet. Now he has months of training with Cassar, Snyder ,Bo, his brother , Varner and he’s not even R12? 

I have no clue where Nevills will/would finish, but looks like Hemida also pinned him in 2018

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Speaking of Kerk, has it actually been confirmed whether or not he’s eligible?  I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cael pull off getting him eligible

I'm pretty certain he is not. I read somewhere that he didn't finish his semester at OSU and that keeps him ineligible.  

Just now, pamela said:

Yikes, seems like there’s been so many injuries between PSU/NLWC lately. It’s like warranty on the wrestlers in State College just expired.

PSU (not even counting NLWC)

Starting 184 Shakur Rasheed tears ACL last spring misses front half of 19-20 season

Starting 157 Brady Berge suffers concussion misses all but 1 match in front half of 19-20 season

Starting 197 Kyle Conel re injures shoulder and is out for the year. Career ender. 

Starting Hwt Cassar re injures shoulder and is out for the year. Career ender. 

The Natty Title seems as if it is Iowa's to lose. Will they lose it? Will Penn State still find a way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat? 

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I have no clue where Nevills will/would finish, but looks like Hemida also pinned him in 2018

Seth was a high school senior at the time and still had a 2nd period lead in that match if I recall. Seth then beat hemida last year, and really should have beat Demetrious Thomas of Pitt too. I think he beat some college wrestlers right after h.s. graduation at Junior Trials that year as well. He beat NQ Pelusi from F&M last year too. 

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

PSU (not even counting NLWC)

Starting 184 Shakur Rasheed tears ACL last spring misses front half of 19-20 season

Starting 157 Brady Berge suffers concussion misses all but 1 match in front half of 19-20 season

Starting 197 Kyle Conel re injures shoulder and is out for the year. Career ender. 

Starting Hwt Cassar re injures shoulder and is out for the year. Career ender. 

The Natty Title seems as if it is Iowa's to lose. Will they lose it? Will Penn State still find a way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat? 

Barring some major injuries on Iowa's side (e.g. Spencer Lee and Marinelli have season-enders) it is Iowa's title this year.  They just have too much firepower AND depth.

26 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

They'd kick the tires, but I don't think it would be a top priority. Kerk is also less proven than Gable. If Iowa believes that Cass will be the #2 guy behind Gable, that money is better spent on recruits in weight classes were they don't have guys they think can score 20+ points. This calculation happens at every single program.

Now, if Gable/Kerk wanted to come for free, then obviously Iowa isn't going to tell them to take a hike. I'm assuming that's not a possibility.

Thats a very diplomatic well written response.

Its also imo a bunch of bull, but hey if you believe that good for you.

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Meaning Carl thinks Nevills isn't a world beater?

Not necessarily. If Kerk wanted to wrestle with Kyle that bad maybe he came with no cost to Cael. Again, pretty much every team would take him.

12 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Hemida from Maryland...nevills was 16-1 his only lose was In OT to Thomas from Pitt, and nevills was the number 8 overall recruit in his class it’s not like we re talking about Austin hoopes here, I wouldn’t expect nevills to be top 4 but I definitely see him getting on the podium or being R12 at worst 

Look at the field, he can do a lot worse than r12. Even if he places low, thats a massive drop off from whatever cassar would have done.

5 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

1) thats not true because they wouldn't have the flexibility with scholarship money.

2) even if it was true its still a sleazy move. 

A quote something about, 'honor' and 'thieves' comes to mind...

30 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

1) thats not true because they wouldn't have the flexibility with scholarship money.

2) even if it was true its still a sleazy move. 

Would you care to explain how trying to get the guy that best fits your program and who you as a head coach think will optimize your point total in March is sleazy?

If your team doesn't have scholarship money to recruit these types of guys then reevaluate your distribution or go get yourself a Kyle Snyder.

Edited by unbiased

59 minutes ago, unbiased said:

Would you care to explain how trying to get the guy that best fits your program and who you as a head coach think will optimize your point total in March is sleazy?

If your team doesn't have scholarship money to recruit these types of guys then reevaluate your distribution or go get yourself a Kyle Snyder.

Constantly jumping to the bigger better deal is sleazy. College coaching is an ugly business. 

2 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Thats a very diplomatic well written response.

Its also imo a bunch of bull, but hey if you believe that good for you.

If you had the #2 in the country at a weight and the #1 guy in the country wanted to transfer in, but needed a full ride, you would give it to him? You'd trade a full scholarship for 4 extra points at NCAAs? I think that would be coaching malpractice. With 9.9 scholarships, recruiting is a zero sum game. If you have 2 top guys getting serious money at 1 weight, that means you most likely have a hole at another. 

5 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

If you had the #2 in the country at a weight and the #1 guy in the country wanted to transfer in, but needed a full ride, you would give it to him? You'd trade a full scholarship for 4 extra points at NCAAs? I think that would be coaching malpractice. With 9.9 scholarships, recruiting is a zero sum game. If you have 2 top guys getting serious money at 1 weight, that means you most likely have a hole at another. 

Another alternative is it could just simply be that you are cheating ¯\_(ツ)_/¯