jerseywrestling

It's Official: Cassar Out for the Season

1 hour ago, unbiased said:

Would you care to explain how trying to get the guy that best fits your program and who you as a head coach think will optimize your point total in March is sleazy?

If your team doesn't have scholarship money to recruit these types of guys then reevaluate your distribution or go get yourself a Kyle Snyder.

It's only sleazy if there was any conversation before he entered the transfer portal.

48 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Constantly jumping to the bigger better deal is sleazy. College coaching is an ugly business. 

I agree that it is an ugly business but the kids know (especially in the PSU room) they aren't promised anything. I fail to see anything sleazy about it unless the coaches are breaking rules or lying to kids to get them enrolled at their prospective Universities. This still seems to be more of a Snyder issue then a Cael/PSU issue.

57 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

If you had the #2 in the country at a weight and the #1 guy in the country wanted to transfer in, but needed a full ride, you would give it to him? You'd trade a full scholarship for 4 extra points at NCAAs? I think that would be coaching malpractice. With 9.9 scholarships, recruiting is a zero sum game. If you have 2 top guys getting serious money at 1 weight, that means you most likely have a hole at another. 

Again very diplomatic response. 

And I dont believe you.

21 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Again very diplomatic response. 

And I dont believe you.

Then I wouldn't trust you to make even the simplest recruiting decisions. If there were enough scholarships to go around, then sure your argument is great and I would agree. But in the real world, it would be an incredibly stupid waste of resources. Do you manage your own finances?

20 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Then I wouldn't trust you to make even the simplest recruiting decisions. If there were enough scholarships to go around, then sure your argument is great and I would agree. But in the real world, it would be an incredibly stupid waste of resources. Do you manage your own finances?

Yes and I do and not that its any of your business I do pretty well for myself. If you wouldnt upgrade Cassiopi for Steveson in a heartbeat when given the opportunity I wouldnt trust you to make even the simplest recruit decisions either. If Kirvlet went to Iowa you would be doing cartwheels. If you deny this then I dont believe you.

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Yes and I do and not that its any of your business I do pretty well for myself. If you wouldnt upgrade Cassiopi for Steveson in a heartbeat when given the opportunity I wouldnt trust you to make even the simplest recruit decisions either. If Kirvlet went to Iowa you would be doing cartwheels. If you deny this then I dont believe you.

Again, in a vacuum I totally agree, but you're leaving out the most important part of my argument: the money. If Steveson cost a full ride, then no I'm not interested because I don't think the extra 4 points is worth hamstringing my ability to fill other weights where I'm weak.

Now, say Cassioppi turns out not to be the finalist threat I think he is, then the calculus changes because now you're talking about trading a full ride for 15-20 extra points, not 4-8. If you don't understand that, then I don't know what else to say.

4 hours ago, unbiased said:

I agree that it is an ugly business but the kids know (especially in the PSU room) they aren't promised anything. I fail to see anything sleazy about it unless the coaches are breaking rules or lying to kids to get them enrolled at their prospective Universities. This still seems to be more of a Snyder issue then a Cael/PSU issue.

Fair enough. I guess I would end on saying I think these unpleasant realities should be acknowledged from time to time. Otherwise we are left with TBar saying "Cael coaches morals first" or similar nonsense.  

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Again, in a vacuum I totally agree, but you're leaving out the most important part of my argument: the money. If Steveson cost a full ride, then no I'm not interested because I don't think the extra 4 points is worth hamstringing my ability to fill other weights where I'm weak.

Now, say Cassioppi turns out not to be the finalist threat I think he is, then the calculus changes because now you're talking about trading a full ride for 15-20 extra points, not 4-8. If you don't understand that, then I don't know what else to say.

And still if Gable came to Iowa you would be doing cartwheels.

14 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

And still if Gable came to Iowa you would be doing cartwheels.

Sure, but that's not the conversation we're having. If you were a coach and you had a scholarship to give, would you trade it for 4 points or 15-20 points? That's the dilemma and that's why I don't think Iowa would throw a lot of money at Gable or Kerk if they were available, so long as Cassioppi continues to be a top guy. If they come for free, then they're obviously welcome, but that's not realistic.

I'd also add that this being heavyweight really factors into the calculation. None of these guys can bump or cut to a new weight. If we were talking about a top contender at a different weight, then the whole calculus changes because you can get creative with your lineup. See Eierman situation.

Edited by uncle bernard

Just now, uncle bernard said:

Sure, but that's not the conversation we're having. If you were a coach and you had a scholarship to give, would you trade it for 4 points or 15-20 points? That's the dilemma and that's why I don't think Iowa would throw a lot of money at Gable or Kerk if they were available, so long as Cassioppi continues to be a top guy. If they come for free, then they're obviously welcome, but that's not realistic.

Gable is almost a sure thing. What they call a once in a generation type guy. Cassiopi is very very good. Elite. If Gable expressed interest in coming to Iowa you can damn sure bet a good coach would do everything possible to make it happen.

1 minute ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Gable is almost a sure thing. What they call a once in a generation type guy. Cassiopi is very very good. Elite. If Gable expressed interest in coming to Iowa you can damn sure bet a good coach would do everything possible to make it happen.

Not if they feel the same way about Cassioppi and Gable would cost a full scholarship. You don't seem to understand the money aspect here. Having 2 scholarships tied up at 1 weight significantly hurts your ability to fill another weight, thus hurting the team. 

9 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Gable was very close to being a one season and done in college (even pre/Fr yr many expected he wouldn't finish college), hardly what you'd call a "sure thing."

1 hour ago, uncle bernard said:

I'd also add that this being heavyweight really factors into the calculation. None of these guys can bump or cut to a new weight. If we were talking about a top contender at a different weight, then the whole calculus changes because you can get creative with your lineup. See Eierman situation.

What you keep calling calculus is really just arithmetic. 

3 hours ago, ionel said:

Gable was very close to being a one season and done in college (even pre/Fr yr many expected he wouldn't finish college), hardly what you'd call a "sure thing."

Gable is apparently not getting charged. So moving forward he is pretty much considered a "sure thing."

Lets say after the investigation closed he decided to use this year as a redshirt and transfer every coach would do everything in their power to get him.

3 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

How’s that conversation go?   Hey Cass.  I know we pulled you away from NW and it looks like you’ll be a 4 year all-America.  But Gable wants to come in now.  So we’re gonna need your money for next year.  

It boils down to integrity and you can’t repeatedly do this and think recruits won’t notice.   Not everybody likes slimey.