Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TexRef

TCU misses out!

Recommended Posts

TCU had the chance to gain a lot of free publicity, but they chose not too. They chose NOT to be the first Big 12 school to add women's wrestling. Instead they chose to be the first Big 12 school to add women's........Triathlon. That's right ladies and gentlemen! TCU will add  Women's Triathlon to it's varsity sports list. WTF?!! The Fort Worth Star-Telegram ran the story and here is the link https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article239065823.html

Here is a small portion that I found interesting "The college season includes three regional qualifiers followed by the national championships. As of today, 34 colleges sponsor triathlon programs with Arizona State winning the last four national titles." 

Just another missed opportunity for Texas to get wrestling at one of our big D1 schools. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the Texas schools don't get wrestling programs because they are scared BOTH Oklahoma teams would dominate them. And the Oklahoma teams WOULD dominate them, at least for a few years. Texas produces some talent though and could have a decent team if they kept most of the state's talent and had a good coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I believe the Texas schools don't get wrestling programs because they are scared BOTH Oklahoma teams would dominate them. And the Oklahoma teams WOULD dominate them, at least for a few years. Texas produces some talent though and could have a decent team if they kept most of the state's talent and had a good coach.

There is zero chance that has any bearing on any Texas University's failure to sponsor wrestling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s interesting that TCU also passed up on softball, where there’s a strong local culture and interest. Maybe it was simply a $$$ decision: strong media exposure opportunities, low capital investment requirements (use all existing facilities, equipment and uniforms), availability of development money for an emerging sport, ability to integrate competitions with public triathlon events (co-marketing opportunities), options to flex the roster year to year based on budget (whereas softball and wrestling have minimum roster sizes), short/minimal competition & travel schedule (i can’t imagine the season being more than like 2-3 triathlons max), overlap of scholarship athletes with track/swim...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pamela said:

It’s interesting that TCU also passed up on softball, where there’s a strong local culture and interest. Maybe it was simply a $$$ decision: strong media exposure opportunities, low capital investment requirements (use all existing facilities, equipment and uniforms), availability of development money for an emerging sport, ability to integrate competitions with public triathlon events (co-marketing opportunities), options to flex the roster year to year based on budget (whereas softball and wrestling have minimum roster sizes), short/minimal competition & travel schedule (i can’t imagine the season being more than like 2-3 triathlons max), overlap of scholarship athletes with track/swim...

Let's face the fact: Wrestling is a money loser in most places. That's enough reason for most schools not to have a wrestling program, what little bucks some athletic programs have dictates what sports they can support. The Texas Big 12 schools have plenty of money, but they'd prefer to invest their money in cheaper programs (like track, cross country, etc) or programs that can make lots of money (football/bball). The fact they'd be mincemeat against OU and OSU for the foreseeable future is just another negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TexRef said:

TCU had the chance to gain a lot of free publicity, but they chose not too. They chose NOT to be the first Big 12 school to add women's wrestling.

 

Curious, how many HS girls wrestling programs are there in TX and/or how many HS girls have advance in the state HS boys tournament?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d guess it’s money.  Don’t have to build any facility.  Likely only have to fun the bike through the few real serious athletes will get an even better on on their own.  They can pull some girls that are already attending school for Cross Country or Swimming to be on a dual sports scholarship athletes and anchor the squad.  Then add a few other girls along the way.  Some international students who are into that stuff and some local girls who play some random athletic sport but wouldn’t be a DI athlete in that sport.   Badda Bing, your school can claim you are trying to meet the female sports requirements without actually having to spend much, add much, or do much.   

Edited by MadMardigain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

If guess it’s money.  Don’t have to build any facility.  Likely only have to fun the bike through the few real serious athletes will get an even better on on their own.  They can pull some girls that are already attending school for Cross Country or Swimming to be on a dual sports scholarship athletes and anchor the squad.  Then add a few other girls along the way.  Some international students who are into that stuff and some local girls who play some random athletic sport but wouldn’t be a DI athlete in that sport.   Badda Bing, your school can claim you are trying to meet the female sports requirements without actually having to spend much, add much, or do much.   

Highly doubt you'd need to recruit athletes from other sports, Ft Worth is a pretty big place, heck you could go over & recruit Dallas as well, or the entire state.  Lance Armstrong was from Plano, started in triathlons at 16, was national sprint champ at 18 & 19.  Its a much more popular sport than back in the 80/90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes it helps to read the entire article.

Quote

TCU received the USA Triathlon Foundation Women’s Emerging Sport Grant, distributed to select NCAA schools developing and implementing women’s triathlon programs.

Don't know how much the grant is, but when someone donates money for start up, it helps to tip the balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ionel said:

Highly doubt you'd need to recruit athletes from other sports, Ft Worth is a pretty big place, heck you could go over & recruit Dallas as well, or the entire state.  Lance Armstrong was from Plano, started in triathlons at 16, was national sprint champ at 18 & 19.  Its a much more popular sport than back in the 80/90s.

Some of the point of it is to pay already participating or even partially scholarships athletes to participate in more than one sport.  More bang for your buck.   Cross Country and Track double up athlete all the time.  Some schools are doing it with Volleyball and Beach Volleyball now.  We will pay X amount of scholarship money for this specific sport, but we are really having you be in these two sports to make the payment worth it to us.  For the school giving a slightly larger scholarship for one athlete who will end up doing two sports ends up being more cost effective than trying to pay two athletes separate scholarships to be in the same two sports.    It could be reversed in this case too,  we will scholarship you for Triathlon, but with the expectation to added money means you’ll be in swimming also (which you would use it to train in the off season anyway).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a shame they missed out on adding a wrestling program. I realize they will be looking at less scholarships with triathlon, but I would assume they will be supplying equipment as well, and a good triathlon (time trial) bike is not cheap. The swimmers would be the more likely cross-over athletes than track or cross-country.

I wish they would have had triathlon sanctioned by the NCAA back in the 90's. My oldest son was highly ranked nationally as a 13-14 year-old, and would likely have gotten a good scholarship. Unfortunately I was too poor to take him to a lot of events, but when we did go he always placed high in national competitions. I also couldn't afford to put him on a 3-6000 (and they cost more now) dollar bike like the kids he competed against, but no one his age ever beat him on a bike leg, even at the national championships. He competed in adult triathlons as a 14 year-old when I could get promoters to let me sign a waiver for him, and did quite well, often winning the 21 and under divisions. Long distance running doesn't always translate to cycling very well and vice-versa. good swimmers more often learn to do well at the other two.

Triathlon is a great and grueling endurance sport, but I hate to see wrestling lose out to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 10:27 AM, ionel said:

Curious, how many HS girls wrestling programs are there in TX and/or how many HS girls have advance in the state HS boys tournament?

ionel There are over 5,000 girls that wrestle at the HS level in Texas. I think there are about 270 girls HS programs and there are about 280 boys HS programs. I am not exact on these numbers, but they are close. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 11:25 PM, MadMardigain said:

Some of the point of it is to pay already participating or even partially scholarships athletes to participate in more than one sport.  More bang for your buck.   Cross Country and Track double up athlete all the time.  Some schools are doing it with Volleyball and Beach Volleyball now.  We will pay X amount of scholarship money for this specific sport, but we are really having you be in these two sports to make the payment worth it to us.  For the school giving a slightly larger scholarship for one athlete who will end up doing two sports ends up being more cost effective than trying to pay two athletes separate scholarships to be in the same two sports.    It could be reversed in this case too,  we will scholarship you for Triathlon, but with the expectation to added money means you’ll be in swimming also (which you would use it to train in the off season anyway).  

Back in the day of unlimited HWT there were a ton of guys doing two sports. Since unlimited HWT is gone, there are very few football players that wrestle. Got to figure the 2nd heaviest weight in wrestling (197) wouldn't even be considered big for secondary guys. Even the biggest college heavies are runts on the football field these days compared to the 300 pounders that routinely comprise offensive and defensive lines these days. Mocco was a 2nd or 3rd stringer at OSU in football, and I don't think he saw a single play in an official game. 

A lot of great college wrestlers were good dual athlete guys in HS though, Chris Perry was a star running back in HS for example, but he was far too small to play football in college. Jake Herbert was supposedly a pretty great LB, but he gave up football to concentrate on wrestling in HS. Good thing, he'd have never made even a D3 team at this size.

Edited by TobusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1986-90 Brian Fisher of F&M won 12 letters in Football, Wrestling(158) Baseball,  Of course F&M wrestling wasn't that good, and he did not have an impressive college record. They were in D3 Football Playoffs a couple of times, and decent D3 Baseball (I think they were the first team to tour China.

------------

I don't know if Texas teams don't want to be beaten by the Okies, But Lafayette not wanting to be compared to Lehigh must be the reason they no longer Wrestle. Obviously they are near the Locus of HS wrestling in the country, but instead have fencing. No Fencing in PIAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would’ve loved to see them go with wrestling, but TCU is well positioned for the triathlon. Right climate for distance running and cycling (ncaa finals is in Nov) and there’s a giant lake close to campus that’s exactly 1 mile wide across in a lot of places (1 mile = the swim distance for the triathlon). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TexRef said:

ionel There are over 5,000 girls that wrestle at the HS level in Texas. I think there are about 270 girls HS programs and there are about 280 boys HS programs. I am not exact on these numbers, but they are close. 

NFHS has the participation numbers for 18'-19' at 337 schools with 4421 girls. There were 365 boys programs with 10,998 participants. 

Girls participation increased by almost 600 over 17'-18' and almost 300 more than the previous high in 16'-17'.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

NFHS has the participation numbers for 18'-19' at 337 schools with 4421 girls. There were 365 boys programs with 10,998 participants. 

Girls participation increased by almost 600 over 17'-18' and almost 300 more than the previous high in 16'-17'.  

While you are on a roll there want to give us stats for comparison state that has college wrestling, say OK & IA? 

Edited by ionel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ionel said:

While you are on a role there want to give us stats for comparison state that has college wrestling, say OK & IA? 

Texas has college wrestling. They've got 2 programs for both men and women.

Neither OK or IA has sanctioned women's wrestling so it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Unless you are looking for something else with the numbers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...