TBar1977

Penn State vs Illinois

Not posted because this is going to be a close compelling dual, that isn't likely given wrestlestat has only one Illinois wrestler winning. Posted rather because it is still worth watching to see where PSU is at as a team. I actually think there are maybe four or five matches where PSU can win by bonus, or if this were in Champaign they could get upset. 

125 Meredith vs Justin Cardani     I think this could actually go to Cardani. Wrestlestat has Meredith favored mainly off his win over Colaiocco, but that's one win. Cardani is a good wrestler himself and if they start at 125 he could get Illinois off on the right foot. 

133 RBY vs Travis Piotrowski     Beginning of the year I think RBY wins by 10, but Travis P. is vastly improved and his 2 losses are 5-3 to Mickey Phillippi and 10-4 to Austin Desanto. His wins are not by large margins, but he is staying close in those two losses. I want to see RBY equal Desanto's margin of victory. This match is in Rec Hall, home turf. I want to see a match against a wrestler of this caliber where RBY leaves no doubt as to the outcome. 

141 Nick Lee vs Dylan Duncan     Duncan is another stingy defensive wrestler. Doesn't give up a lot even to better wrestlers. His only bonus loss on the year was by 10 points to Luke Pletcher. I want to see Nick Lee at his best. That means pushing the pace and loads of takedowns and some punishing top game. 

149 Verkleeren or Gardener vs Jodah     Just want to see 7 minutes of effort

157 Brady Berge vs Eric Barone     Barone is a good wrestler, but I think a guy with Brady Berge's skill can wijn by 3 or 4 takedown margin. 7 minutes of effort. 

165 Cenzo vs Danny Braunagel    Danny was close with David McFadden, and like his brother he is a classic tough wrestler. Cenzo hasn't wrestled in a while so he is well rested. Braunagel is the young guy trying to make a name. Like a lot of these matches where PSU has a highly ranked guy and Illinois has a good but somewhat lower ranked guy, will the PSU wrestler be able to push for bonus? 

174 Mark Hall vs Joey Gunther     If Mark wants to win big then that's probably how its going to be. Often we see Mark wrestle a dominating style, but not get bonus. 

184 Aaron Brooks vs Zach Braunagel     Athleticism vs Brawler. I see this going Aaron's way. He's just too quick and too explosive, and also finishes clean. 

197 The Return of Shak vs Wrobleski     Unless Shak is knocking off rust, he wins big. 

Hwt. Seth Nevills vs Luke Luffman     Calling the upset here. In his Rec Hall debut, Seth over Mighty Luke Luffman!

Illinois (3-1) vs #2 Penn State (3-1)

Date: Jan. 10 | Time: 7 PM ET | Where: Bloomington, IN

Broadcast Info: WATCH LIVE HERE

Someone should inform Carl that the dual meet will be in Bloomington, IN according to Flo.  I suspect at least one of the three (Illinois, PSU, Flo) fail to show.

Edited by ionel

23 hours ago, brickhousey said:

I’ve never understood it, they are in a wrestling hotbed too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah this school in theory should be a sleeping giant if they could do what PSU and tOSU did and keep their great talent home.  Rutgers has started doing it but Illinois never really has. 

Maybe Poeta can help as a local guy.  Perry had CA recruits but strangely even with his charisma and energy he didn't make great Illinois inroads.  

For some reason though it's been a big problem in all sports.  U of I would be perennial basketball top five with a proper share of Chicago talent staying home and top ten in football with suburban talent.  For some reason other than a few years in basketball it just hasn't happened. 

Maybe if campus was closer to Chicago (2-3.5 hours depending on what part of the area you are from) that would help.  

24 minutes ago, drag it said:

Yeah this school in theory should be a sleeping giant if they could do what PSU and tOSU did and keep their great talent home.  Rutgers has started doing it but Illinois never really has. 

Maybe Poeta can help as a local guy.  Perry had CA recruits but strangely even with his charisma and energy he didn't make great Illinois inroads.  

For some reason though it's been a big problem in all sports.  U of I would be perennial basketball top five with a proper share of Chicago talent staying home and top ten in football with suburban talent.  For some reason other than a few years in basketball it just hasn't happened. 

Maybe if campus was closer to Chicago (2-3.5 hours depending on what part of the area you are from) that would help.  

I agree about keeping all the great IL wrestling talent at home, but basketball is  different animal. With the elite basketball kids it’s less about which Chicago area HS they go to and more about their AAU ties, and the relationship different programs (and shoe companies) have with those teams and their coaches. I think that’s one of the things Ron Coleman brings to the table, but he’s only been there for like two seasons and elite AAU teams often bring in kids from all around the country anyway.

Just now, ionel said:

Can we all just agree that Illinois won the first half of the dual, let's see if Penn St is able to squeak out a tie by winning the second half.  ;)

I would say Illinois has a great shot to win. They can potentially win 165 and 285.  That would make a lot of bonus needed out of Hall, Brooks and Rasheed. 

36 minutes ago, ionel said:

It'd really be nice if the Penn St announcer could calm down & not start yelling when he gets excited.  Why can't we have Willie, the Chattanooga Kid or just a plain old PSU undergrad to call the match!

HaHa!  Jeff Byers is the best.  On other TV broadcasts I'll mute out the big ten or espn commentators and sync Byers over the radio feed.  Also,  Illinois might squeak this out

I think we are in for a very weird dual season. The announcer at Iowa vs Indiana was talking about Spencer Lee not wanting to risk injury wrestling Pat Glory. I think PSU is in this same situation. One more injury and forgetaboutit. They are also resting guys.

Iowa should rest guys because, frankly, this could be in the bag already if they just don't have any injuries.