BigTenFanboy

Teske transfering

28 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

I consider Cael the best developer because he takes the most elite guys and makes them elite, elite guys.  He doesn't get the top recruiting class hardly ever (has he even once?  Nickal, Nolf, Nevills maybe??), yet he consistently churns out 4X finalists, 3X champs and guys that can bonus anyone else in college.  I'm looking at Taylor, Ruth, Retherford, Nolf, Nickal, Hall, Joseph, all just in the last 6-7 years.  We will see how the new group with Brooks, Beard, Starocci does, but I'm fairly confident they will be successful. 

Didn't tOSU have as many 4X finalists as PSU?

12 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

"Cael hardly gets the top recruiting class (has he ever!?!?!)"

He gets the number 1 recruiting class every 4 years when he needs it to build his title winning core.  If he wasn't limited to 9.9 he'd get the #1 class just about every year.  

And what are the teams that get the number 1 recruting classes during the other 3 yeats doing?

15 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

"Cael hardly gets the top recruiting class (has he ever!?!?!)"

He gets the number 1 recruiting class every 4 years when he needs it to build his title winning core.  If he wasn't limited to 9.9 he'd get the #1 class just about every year.  

So you're saying he gets 25% of the number 1 classes (which I'm pretty sure isn't true), but wins the title in 8 of 10 years.  Yeah, now I'm seeing why people are doubting him.

6 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Snyder vs Nolf, Nickal, Taylor and potentially Joseph and Hall joining this year.

I forgot about Nolf's freshman year.  But I think you forgot about Stieber, or is that not during the timeline to which you are referring?

Edited by jchapman

2 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

So you're saying he gets 25% of the number 1 classes (which I'm pretty sure isn't true), but wins the title in 8 of 10 years.  Yeah, now I'm seeing why people are doubting him.

In what world are people doubting him?  He's inarguably the greatest coach since Gable, and potentially greatest ever.  This is exactly the reason I'm calling you insufferable... what are you even talking about? 

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

I would think Koll's track record gives him one hell of an argument.  Tim Flynn is another one for what he did at Edinboro with very limited resources.  Hell, even at WVU he has done a bunch to turn them around.

Sanderson is the best HC in all of college wrestling.  That is irrefutable.  I just don't get why the PSU sychophants can't let anyone else be better, or even as good, at certain aspects.

Nick Saban has been the best HC in college football for quite some time.  But, that doesn't mean he is the best there is at developing talent.

Mike Krzyzewsi has been the best HC in college basketball for quite some time.  But, that doesn't mean he is the best there is at developing talent......

Right! It’s difficult to gauge, because success can beget more success, but there are def coaches who do more with a little less - or at least don’t have to pound the recruiting trail so hard every year because they find pretty good talent and develop them. Like Tom Izzo, Mark Few or Jay Wright.

Back to Teske: it still strikes me as bizarre that he decided to transfer portal now rather than finish out the season and maybe go to nationals, regardless of his scholarship status. I thought he was still competing for the spot at 125 at PSU, but maybe he was told otherwise or it was really obvious in the practice room.

Edited by pamela

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

Koll is great, no doubt, but he doesn't as consistently get top guys to end up the elite of the elite.  At least that's how I see it.

He is on pace to have 2, 4 time champs.  How many has Sanderson coached?

Do you also realize that the amount of top 5 recruits Sanderson has brought in dwarves the amount Koll has brought in.  So, getting top guys to end up elite is an impossible comparison when Sanderson starts off with that much more than Koll.

Here are the top 12 recruits for Sanderson during his time at PSU and Koll during that same time period:

PSU 2009: #1Taylor(2,1,2,1), #5Ruth (3,1,1,1)--------Cornell 2009:  #4 Dake(1,1,1,1)

PSU 2010: #2 A. Alton(never placed), #8 D. Alton(1x AA 3rd)---Cornell 2010: #5 Marshall Peppelman(DNP and finished career at Lehigh)   All 3 guys were limited by injuries

PSU 2011:  #1 M. McIntosh(R12,7,3,2), #3 N. Megaludis(2,2,3,1)----Cornell 2011:  ZERO  As an aside Nashon Garrett was #66 recruit and went (3,2,5,1)

PSU 2012:  #3 J. Gulibon(1x AA 5th)-----Cornell 2012: #6 A. Cisneros(quit wrestling early on), #7 Mark Grey(never AA'd, battled injuries)  #11 Realbuto(6,2,inj,5)

PSU 2013:  #3 Z. Retherford(5,1,1,1)----Cornell 2013:  ZERO

PSU 2014:  #4 J. Nolf(2,1,1,1), #5 N. Nevills(inj,5,7,Cassar'd), #7 B. Nickal(2,1,1,1)-----Cornell 2014:  ZERO

PSU 2015:  #5 V. Joseph(1,1,2,?)-------------Cornell 2015:  ZERO

PSU 2016:  #1 M. Hall(1,2,2,?),  #3 N. Suriano(inj, transferred to Rutgers), # 10 M. Manville(a lot of creative redshirting and 1 year as a backup so far)-----Cornell 2016: ZERO Darmstadt was #16 and is 6th and inj. so far

PSU 2017:  #6 B. Berge(2-2,?,?,?), #9 N. Lee(5,5,?,?)-------Cornell 2017: #3 Yianni D. (1,1,?,?), #4 V. Arujua (4,?,?,?)

PSU 2018:  #2 A. Brooks(?,?,?,?), #11 M. Beard(?,?,?,?), #12 RBY(8,?,?,?)-----------------Cornell 2018:  ZERO

PSU 2019:  #1 G. Kerkvliet(tbd), #9 C. Starocci(tbd)--------------Cornell 2019: #10 J. Ramirez(tbd)

PSU #1's-4, #2's-2, #3's-4, #4's-1, #5's-3, #6's-1, #7's-1, #8's-1, #9's-2, #10's-1, #11's-1, #12's-1  Total:  22

Cornell  #1's-0, #2's-0, #3's-1, #4's-2, #5's-1, #6's-1, #7's-1, #8's-0, #9's-0, #10's-1, #11's-1  Total 8

Edited by MSU158

1 minute ago, MSU158 said:

He is on pace to have 2, 4 time champs.  How many has Sanderson coached?

Do you also realize that the amount of top 5 recruits Sanderson has brought in dwarves the amount Koll has brought in.  So, getting top guys to end up elite is an impossible comparison when Sanderson starts off with that much more than Koll.

Here are the top 10 recruits for Sanderson during his time at PSU and Koll during that same time period:

PSU 2009: #1Taylor(2,1,2,1), #5Ruth (3,1,1,1)--------Cornell 2009:  #4 Dake(1,1,1,1)

PSU 2010: #2 A. Alton(never placed), #8 D. Alton(1x AA 3rd)---Cornell 2010: #5 Marshall Peppelman(DNP and finished career at Lehigh)   All 3 guys were limited by injuries

PSU 2011:  #1 M. McIntosh(R12,7,3,2), #3 N. Megaludis(2,2,3,1)----Cornell 2011:  ZERO  As an aside Nashon Garrett was #66 recruit and went (3,2,5,1)

PSU 2012:  #3 J. Gulibon(1x AA 5th)-----Cornell 2012: #6 A. Cisneros(quit wrestling early on), #7 Mark Grey(never AA'd, battled injuries)  #11 Realbuto(6,2,inj,5)

PSU 2013:  #3 Z. Retherford(5,1,1,1)----Cornell 2013:  ZERO

PSU 2014:  #4 J. Nolf(2,1,1,1), #5 N. Nevills(inj,5,7,Cassar'd), #7 B. Nickal(2,1,1,1)-----Cornell 2014:  ZERO

PSU 2015:  #5 V. Joseph(1,1,2,?)-------------Cornell 2015:  ZERO

PSU 2016:  #1 M. Hall(1,2,2,?),  #3 N. Suriano(inj, transferred to Rutgers), # 10 M. Manville(a lot of creative redshirting and 1 year as a backup so far)-----Cornell 2016: ZERO Darmstadt was #16 and is 6th and inj. so far

PSU 2017:  #6 B. Berge(2-2,?,?,?), #9 N. Lee(5,5,?,?)-------Cornell 2017: #3 Yianni D. (1,1,?,?), #4 V. Arujua (4,?,?,?)

PSU 2018:  #2 A. Brooks(?,?,?,?), #11 M. Beard(?,?,?,?), #12 RBY(8,?,?,?)-----------------Cornell 2018:  ZERO

PSU 2019:  #1 G. Kerkvliet(tbd), #9 C. Starocci(tbd)--------------Cornell 2019: #10 J. Ramirez(tbd)

PSU #1's-4, #2's-2, #3's-4, #4's-1, #5's-3, #6's-1, #7's-1, #8's-1, #9's-2, #10's-1, #11's-1, #12's-1  Total:  22

Cornell  #1's-0, #2's-0, #3's-1, #4's-2, #5's-1, #6's-1, #7's-1, #8's-0, #9's-0, #10's-1, #11's-1  Total 8

So I guess my next question is then if Koll was as good of a developer, why don’t more top level guys attend Cornell?

I mean, he’s on pace for two 4X champs, he should be getting all the studs!!

58 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

In what world are people doubting him?  He's inarguably the greatest coach since Gable, and potentially greatest ever.  This is exactly the reason I'm calling you insufferable... what are you even talking about? 

Doubting that he’s the best developer.  It’s all through this thread.

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

I forgot about Nolf's freshman year.  But I think you forgot about Stieber, or is that not during the timeline to which you are referring?

You’re right I missed Logan.  So 2 to potentially 5 at the end of this season.  Still, other than Ohio State, no one else is close...

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

So I guess my next question is then if Koll was as good of a developer, why don’t more top level guys attend Cornell?

The smart farmer population is thin in the current recruiting cycle...

Koll is great, no doubt, but he doesn't as consistently get top guys to end up the elite of the elite.  At least that's how I see it.

He coached Dake to a perfect strategy against Taylor.

Where were the adjustments by Coach Carl?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Mokoma said:

You understand you don't just get to attend Cornell. The admissions requirements are much more stringently critiqued and go further than merely better academia.

4 hours ago, Mokoma said:

He doesn't even get the benefit of the 9.9 and has to deal with a tougher admissions office.

Cael and the entire Penn State package mostly draws better recruiting classes. You see it even more starkly in the depth than in the starting lineups; Penn State's backups (including redshirts) would have more AAs than most teams. That said, I have no idea who the better coach is. I think it's a dumb, unanswerable question.

Edited by ugarte

5 minutes ago, ugarte said:

That said, I have no idea who the better coach is. I think it's a dumb, unanswerable question.

The answer is not black and white. I think of it like this and I will use Brands and Cael as an example because I can think of better examples: Desanto is at the best place he can be. Its a great fit. Desanto at Iowa > Desanto at PSU. Now RBY is at the best place he can be. RBY at PSU > RBY at Iowa. Then you have guys like Lee, Hall, Yianni who would be great where ever they go, but for the majority of these guys it is all about the best environment for them to optimize their skills. The consistant debate about who is better doesn't make sense to me. I don't think Nolf would be Nolf at Cornell nor do I believe Gabe Dean would have been Gabe Dean at PSU. Now, can we all get along? 

14 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I'm guessing there was a conversation about scholarship monies that preceded the decision.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So assuming he’s getting scholarship money, he still gets it for the rest of this year right?  If not, could this possibly be a precursor to getting Kerk eligible this year?

56 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

So assuming he’s getting scholarship money, he still gets it for the rest of this year right?  If not, could this possibly be a precursor to getting Kerk eligible this year?

Teske off the roster.

Kerk on the roster.

Hmm...