Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Penn State can't keep 125 pounders, why?

The tiny elephant in the room is Cael's problem with keeping and fielding a top flight 125 pounder.  Since Megaludis left we have seen:

Suriano - stud, but fell out after injury and left for Rutgers, where he became a national champ last year

Schnupp - an undersized battler who failed to win more than 2 or 3 matches per season

Teasdale - PA HS stud who committed, decommitted, came to PSU and left for Iowa again

Teske - Iowa HS stud who committed to Iowa, transferred to PSU and now is in the transfer portal

Meredith - now seems to be starter going forward

Robert Howard, another HS stud, has committed but has struggled a bit recently and seems to have lost some lustre as a top lightweight

What is going on here?  Does PSU need a new lightweight coach to get a Big 10 caliber starter at 125?

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

PSU should fire their incompetent head coach!  I hear Mark Cody might be interested....

Haha but there seriously is an issue with PSU retaining 125 pounders....  They don't seem to have this issue at any other weights, why?

5 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Only 2 teams in the entire country ( Lehigh, Iowa) have a more recent national champ at 125, and where and when did Robert Howard start losing luster? Did he stop breathing too? 

Well, he was defeated in the state finals by Alvarez

fortunately for them, they have studs at almost every other weight class.

Unfortunately for them 2 of there top upper weights are out for the year. 

Luckily for them they have quality replacements behind them and could compete for AA honors.

Yeah, they are good.

Might not win it again, but will definitely be in the conversation.

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Only 2 teams in the entire country ( Lehigh, Iowa) have a more recent national champ at 125, and where and when did Robert Howard start losing luster? Did he stop breathing too? 

After signing with Penn State he lost in NJ Final and this season was beat by a sophomore in Beast of East semi. I would say the once #3 P4P wrestler in class of 2020 has lost some luster!

Just now, moveurfeet32 said:

After signing with Penn State he lost in NJ Final and this season was beat by a sophomore in Beast of East semi. I would say the once #3 P4P wrestler in class of 2020 has lost some luster!

As I mentioned him and Alvarez have been training partners for a long time , you shouldn’t take anything anyway from that match...and I believe he got hurt in that semi because he hasn’t wrestled since 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

The tiny elephant in the room is Cael's problem with keeping and fielding a top flight 125 pounder.  Since Megaludis left we have seen:

Suriano - stud, but fell out after injury and left for Rutgers, where he became a national champ last year

Schnupp - an undersized battler who failed to win more than 2 or 3 matches per season

Teasdale - PA HS stud who committed, decommitted, came to PSU and left for Iowa again

Teske - Iowa HS stud who committed to Iowa, transferred to PSU and now is in the transfer portal

Meredith - now seems to be starter going forward

Robert Howard, another HS stud, has committed but has struggled a bit recently and seems to have lost some lustre as a top lightweight

What is going on here?  Does PSU need a new lightweight coach to get a Big 10 caliber starter at 125?

Teske was never committed to Iowa.

2 hours ago, pamela said:

I don’t know, do they still have that famous ice cream factory at PSU?

Yeah, I'd say that or slush fund pays on a per lb basis, light weights feel they are being cheated.  ;_;

Just now, TobusRex said:

Proof that Joe Smith chose wisely in going to Stillwater. If he'd gone to Happy Valley he'd be over 250 pounds by now.

but he'd be happy and having fun rolling with the dancing bear :)

Isn’t 125 a tough weight class to keep anyways?  Pretty hard for adult men to hold that weight. My guess is that the problem isn’t so much the 125 it’s that there is no room to go up from there. 133 -149 has been strong for PSU so even though kids think they can hold 125, I think it becomes unbearable and then they lose the drive because they get beat up by the 133 and 141 then they know they have no chance in bumping up. Other programs with weaker 133 and 141s can offer hope of bumping up.  

26 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Also Teasdale first committed to Iowa, decommited and went to PSU, then transferred to Iowa.

Where he is 9-4 at 133. 2-2 against D-I competition and losses against Wartburg and Wisconsin-Parkside.

The problem was Suriano didn't like his time there. They were invested in him and he messed up their plan pretty badly. All the other guys since him were fillers since the recent 125s from HS have been pretty meh. Teske and Teasdale would see success in D2 but are not B1G talents by any stretch.