Plasmodium

Iowa indiana

3 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Abe Assad is the apparent 184 pound Hawkeye, or is that old news?  Turns out  Goldman is an average to above average coach in Hoosierville.

After the match Brands interviewed with Flo and said he basically decided on the way to Indiana the redshirt was coming off. They announced both Wilke and Assad at 184, but after that Brands told Assad he was going. To me I think we can infer 2 things from this (Iowa guys can correct me if I’m wrong here, just making my own guesses).

1) Assad must be consistently better than Wilke and Nelson Brands in the practice room.
And 2) Brands is going all in on a team championship this year. If Iowa can get Assad on the podium that will be huge for the team race. 

24 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Abe Assad is the apparent 184 pound Hawkeye, or is that old news?  Turns out  Goldman is an average to above average coach in Hoosierville.

Isnt it still a little early in Escobedos IU coaching career to say that? Really really hoping he can be a step up, because if not well its safe to say IU will forever be a doormat in the big 10.

I think everyone knew Indiana was going to go 0-10 last night, but to Escobedo's credit I thought his team battled harder than the last few Goldman teams.  There were also more people in the stands then i have seen in years.  I remember watching Mocco era Iowa in University Gym and there were maybe one hundred people in attendance.  I think Indiana is heading in the right direction...obviously it is a going to be a LONG road...but Im a little hopeful.  

5 hours ago, matts1w said:

I think everyone knew Indiana was going to go 0-10 last night, but to Escobedo's credit I thought his team battled harder than the last few Goldman teams.  There were also more people in the stands then i have seen in years.  I remember watching Mocco era Iowa in University Gym and there were maybe one hundred people in attendance.  I think Indiana is heading in the right direction...obviously it is a going to be a LONG road...but Im a little hopeful.  

Following the team for a lot of years, I say its like night and day from Goldman and Angel. There is no quit in the wrestlers on the mat. Out manned tonight? You bet. The disparity of haves and have nots in D1 wrestling was shinning bright tonight. Indiana, like other schools, who threw the program to the dogs, is slowly getting a reprieve from past mis handling of the sport by the AD. The state is a hot bed for good wrestling, and the almost full house came to watch good wrestling in the new arena. The place has been filling almost for every match this and last year, and the reason is the athletes on IU's roster are bring it on the mat, win or lose. No, Indiana ain't PS,OSU, Mich.,Iowa, but when they do start getting and keeping, the great in state talent the Hoosier state has to offer every year ,the playing field will get more even with what Escobedo, Jordan, Tsirtsis are doing in the room for this program. 

Iowa is battling to be the top team in the nation this year.  We all knew going in that it was going to be close to a shutout with the amount of ranked talent Iowa had compared to a IU team that’s trying to rebuild.   I will say IU had a couple really good down to the last whistle matches last night against the Hawkeyes, but they never made that final score.  It used to be majors and pins almost all night for Iowa, but now some of the Hoosiers were within a score of pulling off a win over Iowa.  Sure IU didn’t have one guy find team points, but several were close which I’d say it a better indicator team wise of thing to come compare to one individual doing well.  IU is building a solid program where the wrestlers are willing to battle instead of just take the punishment from top programs.  With IU not having the depth of talent that teams like Iowa has, it also hurts them when a few of their more talented starters are out due to injury.   

Escobedo is in just his 2nd year on the job.  He has some decent potential to work with out of some of Goldman’s recruits, but his own initial recruits are just starting the process.  And we know your first few sets of recruits when taking over a disparaging program are not all going to be blue chips.   Angels job right is to keep the team battling, move the team from the Big10 cellar, and get some of his individuals at least chomping at a AA spot soon.   If he shows he can develop some his guys so the room as legit practice partners then he can start to convince a few more in and out of state bigger name recruit to consider the school as a legit option.  Based on the hole the program was put in a few years ago this will take some time to climb out of.  Purdue’s just now doing it after 5 years of Ersland and that program wasn’t left in nearly the same spot as IU.  You can already tell the IU wrestlers and coaching staff aren’t just going laying down for the top Big10 programs that in itself tells me the programs moving in the right direction.  

Edited by MadMardigain

6 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I think pulling Assad's shirt is a bad idea. As a true frosh he doesn't seem to be enough better then Wilcke to alter the team score, so why mess with it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I agree. I"m not in the practice room but I trust Brands to know what he's doing. Probably the Midlands was a big factor? I think Wilcke is tough and he can stay with or beat anybody in the country but also lose by a point or 2 to a lot of wrestlers. Tough call for the senior.

7 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

After the match Brands interviewed with Flo and said he basically decided on the way to Indiana the redshirt was coming off. They announced both Wilke and Assad at 184, but after that Brands told Assad he was going. To me I think we can infer 2 things from this (Iowa guys can correct me if I’m wrong here, just making my own guesses).

1) Assad must be consistently better than Wilke and Nelson Brands in the practice room.
And 2) Brands is going all in on a team championship this year. If Iowa can get Assad on the podium that will be huge for the team race. 

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hawkeyes/iowa-wrestling-vs-indiana-score-results-abe-assad-redshirt-decision-20200110

I kinda agree, but judging by this quote, "“We need maybe something to shake, rattle and roll this thing a little bit,” Iowa head coach Tom Brands said. “Where it’s not just, we’re gonna go with ordinary or what everybody’s predicting. We’re not saying that’s why we did it. I’m saying shake, rattle and roll," that may even mean that it's not settled and he could still be trying to light a fire under Wilcke/Brands.   But would suck for Assad if the shirt is pulled and he doesn't start in the postseason.

13 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hawkeyes/iowa-wrestling-vs-indiana-score-results-abe-assad-redshirt-decision-20200110

I kinda agree, but judging by this quote, "“We need maybe something to shake, rattle and roll this thing a little bit,” Iowa head coach Tom Brands said. “Where it’s not just, we’re gonna go with ordinary or what everybody’s predicting. We’re not saying that’s why we did it. I’m saying shake, rattle and roll," that may even mean that it's not settled and he could still be trying to light a fire under Wilcke/Brands.   But would suck for Assad if the shirt is pulled and he doesn't start in the postseason.

Sounds like Brand was watching 3000 Miles to Graceland on the bus ride.  

7 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I think pulling Assad's shirt is a bad idea. As a true frosh he doesn't seem to be enough better then Wilcke to alter the team score, so why mess with it.

I see that point of view too, but I think it’s a good idea. This and next year are make or break years. Iowa has a real chance to win both years and separate itself from all but PSU in the Cae era. You have to mat your best team. Saving Assad for a future year of eligibility assumes you’ll get half a dozen other studs to complement him in the future, and that’s never guaranteed. A strong lineup is only guaranteed this year and next. 

Brands is just too small. Wilcke is a 2-2 type of guy at NCAAs. He can do better or worse. and he’s not getting better by NCAAs. Assad is better already and has three more months in the Iowa room to progress as a true freshman. He will very likely improve meaningfully, especially off bottom where he is currently weak. I would bet on Assad too.

I don't think Assad is any better than Wilcke. He's not far removed to losing to a kid from Grand View, needed OT to be Travis Stefanik and Tanner Harvey at the Midlands, and while it was a great move he hit a YOLO headlock for his best win against Braunagel.  He has more losses to D3 guys than top20 wins, I just don't see the upgrade here....

8 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Agree with this 100%. You have a senior who could aa, why burn the shirt especially with all the injuries penn state has? Iowa should win the ncaas as long as everyone shows up and performs even close to what seeds are likely to be

9 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

From the outside it seems like a huge gamble. Wilcke is a multiple time R12. He has proven he is right there. Brands has to be pretty confident Assad will AA to have pulled the shirt. 

Brands knows what he is doing. I’m excited to see if the gamble pays off.

Seems like Cash has been in the doghouse with Brands and the fanbase, so that may have been another factor.

It’s fun to see Assad compete sooner than later but I agree that there was no need to pull him out of RS. Iowa would have been fine either way with Wilcke or not.

10 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

From the outside it seems like a huge gamble. Wilcke is a multiple time R12. He has proven he is right there. Brands has to be pretty confident Assad will AA to have pulled the shirt. 

Brands knows what he is doing. I’m excited to see if the gamble pays off.

I'm sure KMF will cyfer this four us first thing next weak and well have the reel truth

7 minutes ago, pamela said:

Seems like Cash has been in the doghouse with Brands and the fanbase, so that may have been another factor.

It’s fun to see Assad compete sooner than later but I agree that there was no need to pull him out of RS. Iowa would have been fine either way with Wilcke or not.

I think this is true. You have to read a bit between the lines as Brands is great with “coachspeak”, but he keeps mentioning the effort he sees in the room. That leads me to believe that Wilcke’s on the mat results aren’t enough to separate himself when he isn’t doing enough in the room. 

The above is the ONLY way this move makes sense. Because, I didn’t see ANYTHING to clearly put Assad ahead of Wilcke. 2nd over 3rd when they didn’t wrestle each other or the 1 guy the other lost to, doesn’t show me any separation. 

For all that people call Wilcke a 2-2 type, he HAS won 8 matches at NCAA’s in his career. Nearly all guys that have won that many in 3 years are 2-3x AA’s. I know Wilcke hasn’t quite got over the hump, but he has proven he can win matches in March.  I am not so sure a TF that took some tough losses earlier this year is more likely to win more. 

Hope I am wrong!

52 minutes ago, Gantry said:

I don't think Assad is any better than Wilcke. He's not far removed to losing to a kid from Grand View, needed OT to be Travis Stefanik and Tanner Harvey at the Midlands, and while it was a great move he hit a YOLO headlock for his best win against Braunagel.  He has more losses to D3 guys than top20 wins, I just don't see the upgrade here....

He’s what, 18, 19? Steep learning curve versus 5-year senior who is good but unlikely to improve given he hasn’t in a couple of years. I’ll take Assad by March every time. 

He's not going to suddenly be an AA in two months, and that's the issue.   Again, zero top20 wins in his career and two OT matches at the Midlands against guys who have zero chance of AA'ing.

He could wrestle Lujan 100 times and not get a takedown, he was as outclassed as you can get in a 4-0 match - had zero for his scrambling.   If there was no redshirt fine, but pulling it to me was a mistake.  Guess we'll find out...

Edited by Gantry

Lujan is a particularly bad matchup for him. Arguably the funkiest wrestler at the weight and very good on top. He is an outlier, not the norm. Assad may not AA but I would not discount the possibility so much right now. His basics are very good. He has some big holes as most freshmen do, not too dissimilar from Desanto’s freshman holes. 

Not that I think Brands is thinking this, but I feel like we’re really only talking about a difference of a couple points at most here.  I think chances are the difference will be more than that (win or lose).  But getting Assad experience at NCAA’s could help him a lot for next year when they’ll likely need even more points out of him.  

Looks like the Boilermakers didn’t fair much better against the Hawks 41-0 as well. .  Some battles in matches but Iowa shows they have the firepower to win the title this year if they keep things going.   

Cassioppi maybe going for the Iowa pin record so Maranelli looks like he’s settling for the figure 4 record.  

On 1/10/2020 at 11:36 PM, Molsen said:

Isnt it still a little early in Escobedos IU coaching career to say that? Really really hoping he can be a step up, because if not well its safe to say IU will forever be a doormat in the big 10.

It's almost always safe to assume the Hoosiers are a doormat in wrestling. The question is who wins when they face ANOTHER doormat (MSU, for example).