Jimmy Cinnabon

Iowa pouring concrete over the coffin

With the pulling of Assad's redshirt Iowa seems to be nailing the coffin shut, covering it in concrete and locking it in a nuclear waste vault.

They now have:

125: #1 Lee

133: #2 DeSanto

141: #7 Murn

149: #1 Lugo

157: #6 Young

165: #2 Marnelli

174: #2 Kemerer

184: Assad (will probably be top 10 this week)

197: #5 Warner

HWT: #3 Cassioppi

That is 5 projected finalists and 9 out of 10 in the top 8.  If Assad makes AA Iowa has a great shot at breaking the all-time scoring record.  I question why the Brands pulled Assad's shirt though, as they would probably win the title by 50 points even without him?

Just now, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

With the pulling of Assad's redshirt Iowa seems to be nailing the coffin shut, covering it in concrete and locking it in a nuclear waste vault.

They now have:

125: #1 Lee

133: #2 DeSanto

141: #7 Murn

149: #1 Lugo

157: #6 Young

165: #2 Marnelli

174: #2 Kemerer

184: Assad (will probably be top 10 this week)

197: #5 Warner

HWT: #3 Cassioppi

That is 5 projected finalists and 9 out of 10 in the top 8.  If Assad makes AA Iowa has a great shot at breaking the all-time scoring record.  I question why the Brands pulled Assad's shirt though, as they would probably win the title by 50 points even without him?

Because Brands doesn't wan't a probably...he is going all in with the best lineup no matter what. 

Let's face it, Iowa needs to win this year. PSU wants to win this year, but injuries look to be playing a large role in preventing that.  But............but, this can only go bad for Iowa. They are now a prohibitive odds on favorite to win. Barring a rash of Hawkeye injuries, anything less than a team championship will be looked at as an epic failure. 

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Let's face it, Iowa needs to win this year. PSU wants to win this year, but injuries look to be playing a large role in preventing that.  But............but, this can only go bad for Iowa. They are now a prohibitive odds on favorite to win. Barring a rash of Hawkeye injuries, anything less than a team championship will be looked at as an epic failure. 

If penn state has 4 finalists 141,165,174,184 , with 3 champs 141, 165, 174 with high AA at 133 and 197 and low AA at either 157 or 285 you think that’s enough for the title? 

Nobody has ANYTHING locked up......... injuries or simply a poor match here or there and things change VERY quickly. IMO PSU is the front runner until they are actually knocked off that perch. The cool thing this year is that, going in, we have doubt in who will pull it off!

3 hours ago, Katie said:

If Iowa can't bring back the gold this year -- when its been virtually handed to them -- they better make an offer to Cael.

If Iowa gets second this year and gets rid of Brands the year before they will be even larger favorites, Id be looking for a new AD not a new head coach. Thats just dumb.

Edited by russelscout

3 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

Nobody has ANYTHING locked up......... injuries or simply a poor match here or there and things change VERY quickly. IMO PSU is the front runner until they are actually knocked off that perch. The cool thing this year is that, going in, we have doubt in who will pull it off!

PSU fans are spinning it so if Iowa loses they can proclaim it the greatest victory in history and say Brands should be fired or Iowa wins they will discredit it since they were such huge favorites. Tbar has been doing it ever since word on Cassar came out and now Im seeing a few others are jumping in on the act too. 

Edited by russelscout

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

PSU fans are spinning it so if Iowa loses they can proclaim it the greatest victory in history and say Brands should be fired or Iowa wins they will discredit it since they were such huge favorites. Tbar has been doing it ever since word on Cassar came out and now Im seeing a few others are jumping in on the act too. 

THIS

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

No spin zone here, its all true. 

I’m not an Iowa or a penn state fan at all. I don’t pull for either one as a “second” or “third” favorite team. I have 0 spin here. But I am a rabid fan of the sport and I watch as much wrestling as I possibly can, whether it’s my favorite team (UNC), other ACC teams, big 10, pac 12, MAC, big12, etc. 

My opinion is this. On paper Iowa should win a team national championship this year. Outside of 184 (and maybe 141 depending how you feel about Murin) Iowa should have an all American in every other weight class. Based on how things have unfolded this year anything less than 1st on the podium for Iowa will be a disappointment. If Penn State pulls off winning a championship this year that will be one of Cael’s better coaching jobs. 

Iowa > Penn St

championship Saturday night will be looking like Iowa dual meet as Brands and company make themselves at home on the corner if the mat.  The real question is who will win the battle for second

Crazy  that Iowa’s best team in years has zero Iowa born and raised on team

17 minutes ago, cangemi said:

You can't under estimate how important it would be for Iowa to win this year.

Been a while. Also recruiting for future.  They can sell Iowa is back with the win.

This is what I've been saying all along.  Iowa winning makes them relevant again with recruiting.

Sanderson was pouring concrete over the coffin that is Iowa which is why there are no Olympic redshirts and why there were 6th year eligibility given but the injury bug has hit them.