Sign in to follow this  
cangemi

Iowa Assad

Anyone else supprised. Could have had Wilcke and Nelson say they got injured. File for another year. Guess Brands straight shooter. 

I think they win either way with Cassar out PSU dinged up. I think they have title?

Iowa program needs the win. It's good for sport as well.

Just think Wilcke and Nelson they stl win. 

1 minute ago, cangemi said:

Anyone else supprised. Could have had Wilcke and Nelson say they got injured. File for another year. Guess Brands straight shooter. 

I think they win either way with Cassar out PSU dinged up. I think they have title?

Iowa program needs the win. It's good for sport as well.

Just think Wilcke and Nelson they stl win. 

Brands needs to win, so he is counting every last possible point. 

6 minutes ago, cangemi said:

Tbar77 is correct . Brands needs win and not taking any chances.

I think you could argue this is taking a chance.  Wilcke was probably the only one of the 3 that was pretty much guaranteed to win at least 1 match, maybe 2 or more.   Assad seems to be higher ceiling, but lower floor.

Maybe they feel that Assad is less likely to take a headscratcher loss at ncaas since Wilke is likely pulling some weight and Brands is small. Maybe they have seen some things in the room that make them belive all he needs is mat time. Maybe every time Assad talks to Brands he says "hey coach, can you pull my redshirt now" and Brands finally gave in. Who knows..

I dont know why Brands "needs" to win, but he sure would like to like any other of the top coaches.

My guess is that Assad has distanced himself in the room at this point, has made it clear that he wanted to wrestle, and since he outperformed the other 2 at Midlands he earned the spot.  Sometimes its that simple. The coaches put out a criteria to be the starter and Assad met it.

I highly, highly doubt it comes from a place of insecurity and worry about the NCAAs like some of you are suggesting, otherwise Eirman would be going too.

22 minutes ago, Molsen said:

Maybe they feel that Assad is less likely to take a headscratcher loss at ncaas since Wilke is likely pulling some weight and Brands is small. Maybe they have seen some things in the room that make them belive all he needs is mat time. Maybe every time Assad talks to Brands he says "hey coach, can you pull my redshirt now" and Brands finally gave in. Who knows..

Kid already has two head scratching losses on the year...

184 is really deep. I don't see any of the 3 guys finishing higher than 8th. Best case scenario, the point differential will still be minimal. Plus I don't think the team race will be all that close anyway. This was a real head-scratcher in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Kid already has two head scratching losses on the year...

Yeah, that can happen to true freshman as they adjust to the college room, which brings us to the next part about Assad possibly showing things in the room that look promising. 

It wouldnt be the first time a true freshman took a iffy loss then still had a good year.

29 minutes ago, Molsen said:

Yeah, that can happen to true freshman as they adjust to the college room, which brings us to the next part about Assad possibly showing things in the room that look promising. 

It wouldnt be the first time a true freshman took a iffy loss then still had a good year.

An iffy freshman loss is losing to Alex Meyer in carver not dropping a match to a D3 guy 

I’m surprised this move is being met with such resistance on here. Iowa hasn’t won a title in a long time. For once, they are in the driver’s seat. Assad has four years of eligibility. It’s not like he’s a redshirt junior. If the redshirt pull doesn’t work, how much does Iowa lose? One match at NCAAs, as a base case, If that? And what if it works? I’m not saying Assad is the reincarnation of Lincoln Mac and he has an attainable path to a title, but he is obviously a highly skilled, if green, and physically mature freshman. You have to like his upside over that of Wilcke who was probably done improving A couple of years ago. 

I see this as a relatively low risk, modestly high to high reward scenario. If Assad fails to place, he still gets an entire March of B1G and NCAA experience to prepare for next year when Iowa will have by far the best shot at a title they’ll have had since the last Brands title. Not a terrible outcome. 

I think it’s significantly more likely Iowa wins either in spite of Assad or thanks to Assad’s unexpected contribution than loses because they lost a couple of points or so by switching out Wilcke for Assad. 

29 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I’m surprised this move is being met with such resistance on here. Iowa hasn’t won a title in a long time. For once, they are in the driver’s seat. Assad has four years of eligibility. It’s not like he’s a redshirt junior. If the redshirt pull doesn’t work, how much does Iowa lose? One match at NCAAs, as a base case, If that? And what if it works? I’m not saying Assad is the reincarnation of Lincoln Mac and he has an attainable path to a title, but he is obviously a highly skilled, if green, and physically mature freshman. You have to like his upside over that of Wilcke who was probably done improving A couple of years ago. 

I see this as a relatively low risk, modestly high to high reward scenario. If Assad fails to place, he still gets an entire March of B1G and NCAA experience to prepare for next year when Iowa will have by far the best shot at a title they’ll have had since the last Brands title. Not a terrible outcome. 

I think it’s significantly more likely Iowa wins either in spite of Assad or thanks to Assad’s unexpected contribution than loses because they lost a couple of points or so by switching out Wilcke for Assad. 

Your last sentence is probably true, but it seems to be more if they win it will be in spite of him.

What they’re “losing” is his production 4 years from now where in theory he could be a title contender or something.  Giving up that for a potential couple of points this year most likely is certainly a risk.

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

An iffy freshman loss is losing to Alex Meyer in carver not dropping a match to a D3 guy 

He also pinned a guy brooks from psu just decisioned. Again, freshman take loses, He showed at Midlands that he is better then the version of him that lost to a d3 wrestler. His upside is likely higher then the other 2 this year, and the downside isnt that much worse. Freshmen tend to improve faster in the room, and sometimes do have some weird loses as they adjust.

Edited by Molsen

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Your last sentence is probably true, but it seems to be more if they win it will be in spite of him.

What they’re “losing” is his production 4 years from now where in theory he could be a title contender or something.  Giving up that for a potential couple of points this year most likely is certainly a risk.

Definitely a good point but they have four years to replace him.  

They must be seeing considerable improvement behind the scenes.  I thought  he’d be in redshirt all year too.  Another possibility is they really want him to have the post season experience this year and be prepared for next years run also.

Somebody explain to me how good Abe Assad is because I just watched him decision a complete fish from Indiana 6-2. Sure doesn't seem like a world beater to me if he can only squeeze out 6 points (including 1 for RT) against a guy that is 5-11 this year as a Sr.