Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

# 11 Iowa State loses 22-14 to Campbell University

Cary Kolat has turned Campbell into an extremely respectable program that’s solid from top to bottom. And they have good recruiting classes incoming. Kudos to Kolat, Popolizio, and Scott for building great programs in North Carolina that kids from up north and the midwest want to be a part of. In my opinion it’s great for the sport when programs in the “south” are doing well. Would be nice to see some more D1 programs like Arkansas Little Rock popping up. 

1 hour ago, goheels1812 said:

Cary Kolat has turned Campbell into an extremely respectable program that’s solid from top to bottom. And they have good recruiting classes incoming. Kudos to Kolat, Popolizio, and Scott for building great programs in North Carolina that kids from up north and the midwest want to be a part of. In my opinion it’s great for the sport when programs in the “south” are doing well. Would be nice to see some more D1 programs like Arkansas Little Rock popping up. 

Campbell is pretty much in the middle of nowhere too which makes it even more impressive (well I guess it’s like 45 mins too Raleigh).

App State is respectable too.   They have a great campus so could certainly see them continuing to improve.   I’d like to see Davidson be a little more competitive, they’re kinda bad.

Just now, 1032004 said:

Campbell is pretty much in the middle of nowhere too which makes it even more impressive (well I guess it’s like 45 mins too Raleigh).

App State is respectable too.   They have a great campus so could certainly see them continuing to improve.   I’d like to see Davidson be a little more competitive, they’re kinda bad.

Haha yeah Buoys Creek isn’t exactly a desirable location. I toured there a long time ago and there’s just nothing to do anywhere around it. The county is also dry, which is somewhat rare nowadays. 

And you’re right. John Mark Bentley does a phenomenal job with the recruits he gets. He’s an expert at finding North Carolina high school recruits that can compete nationally. One of my favorite wrestlers to ever go through App is Austin Trotman. That guy was tough as nails. He also went to my high school which is cool because to my knowledge he’s the only collegiately successful wrestler Mt. Tabor has ever produced. 

Campbell University has a brand new state of the art wrestling facility. The coaching staff develops complete wrestlers and Head Coach Cary Kolat truly cares about his athletes. The administration strongly supports the program. Campbell has fantastic academics and unique programs such as Homeland Security. New medical and engineering buildings, Stadium, and lots of construction on the ever growing campus. The surrounding natural environment and river system is wonderful for outdoor acivities including tubing and fishing. Wrestlers are finding Cambell. Look at next year's recruiting class. Every year the team continues to improve. I find it humorous some of the comments I read here. The creek is rising in Buise

Edited by Titabawassee

7 minutes ago, Titabawassee said:

Campbell University has a brand new state of the art wrestling facility. The coaching staff develops complete wrestlers and Head Coach Cary Kolat truly cares about his athletes. The administration strongly supports the program. Campbell has fantastic academics and unique programs such as Homeland Security. New medical and engineering buildings, Stadium, and lots of construction on the ever growing campus. The surrounding natural environment and river system is wonderful for outdoor acivities including tubing and fishing. Wrestlers are finding Cambell. Look at next year's recruiting class. Every year the team continues to improve. I find it humorous some of the comments I read here. The creek is rising in Buise

One sentence that you could judge as derogatory and that's questionable...  We're fans.  

22 minutes ago, Titabawassee said:

So everyone praises Campbell and the job Kolat has done nonstop in this thread and you are mad we said there’s nothing to do in Buoies Creek. Which there isn’t. I’ve lived in the triangle in the past and been through Buoies Creek many many times. It’s pretty factual saying that outside of the college there’s absolutely nothing there. 

"Nothing to do" is in the eye of the beholder.

River water attraction. Outdoor activities, hiking, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, tubing, hunting.

Quiet area with few distractions.

Excellent training facilities.

Good educational opportunities.

Not everyone wants crowds and noise.

Big props to Kolat.  Doing what he's doing with the resources, support, and challeges he faces, what an incredible job.  Good for the sport--end stop.  Should be considered for coach of the year, particularly if he can punch some All-Americans through.

5 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Lol this is pretty much saying there’s nothing to do in a nice way.

Sure, not “everyone” would say there’s nothing to do there, but a lot would.

And again, that makes it even more of a compliment to what Kolat is doing.    It’s also a private school that I think is pretty expensive and not sure of the wrestling funding situation.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:56 PM, Titabawassee said:

Now we get to see if wrestlers were going to Campbell to train with Kolat or for the academics and all the fun things to do in Buies Creek. 

On 1/12/2020 at 9:13 AM, WillieBoy said:

River water attraction. Outdoor activities, hiking, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, tubing, hunting.

Excellent training facilities.

Good educational opportunities.

I think they hooked Esposito in Stillwater by taking him noodling on the Cimarron River.  Don't underestimate the outdoor activities surrounding rivers and no civilization.   I think some of you might be surprised what life is like outside of the big city.