Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Question about Joe Joe Smith and Nelson Brands

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Their fathers are long time employees of their respective universities. 

Do they get free tuition as its not that all uncommon for this to happen with children of university/college employees? 

Free?  Since you claim not uncommon can you list examples?  I know an example in b10s that's 1/2 off tuition if vested & active faculty or staff, but it's a state thing not a b10 thing.  Also it's only half off tuition, no reduction in room & board, books or the recent increase in add on fees which can be significant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ionel said:

Free?  Since you claim not uncommon can you list examples?  I know an example in b10s that's 1/2 off tuition if vested & active faculty or staff, but it's a state thing not a b10 thing.  Also it's only half off tuition, no reduction in room & board, books or the recent increase in add on fees which can be significant. 

I believe Carnegie Melon, but I could be wrong. I heard it was also tutition only, not room and board, etc..

 

Years ago my mother became employed at a local university and Was told after 4 years of employment I and my siblings would be eligible for free tuition had we been accepted and chosen to attend said university.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ionel said:

Free?  Since you claim not uncommon can you list examples?  I know an example in b10s that's 1/2 off tuition if vested & active faculty or staff, but it's a state thing not a b10 thing.  Also it's only half off tuition, no reduction in room & board, books or the recent increase in add on fees which can be significant. 

https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?threads/colleges-that-provide-free-tuition-for-employees.39744/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the big revenue sports anyway, head coaches have the flexibility to bring their kid in as a walk-on so the scholarship can go to another player. Those coaches often make so much money from their university contracts alone that it’s no problem to cover their kid’s tuition. At UCLA a few years back, then-coach Steve Alford took his son, who was the starting PG, off of scholarship because they were at their limit and wanted to offer another kid.

That’s for coaches who make many hundreds of thousands of dollars, of not millions each year. It’s been discussed here before roughly how much Terry Brands and John Smith make (their salaries are public data anyway), but I don’t know if they would or would not be willing to pick up the tab on their kids’ scholarship, particularly given the way wrestling scholarship money can get spread across the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pamela said:

In the big revenue sports anyway, head coaches have the flexibility to bring their kid in as a walk-on so the scholarship can go to another player. Those coaches often make so much money from their university contracts alone that it’s no problem to cover their kid’s tuition. At UCLA a few years back, then-coach Steve Alford took his son, who was the starting PG, off of scholarship because they were at their limit and wanted to offer another kid.

That’s for coaches who make many hundreds of thousands of dollars, of not millions each year. It’s been discussed here before roughly how much Terry Brands and John Smith make (their salaries are public data anyway), but I don’t know if they would or would not be willing to pick up the tab on their kids’ scholarship, particularly given the way wrestling scholarship money can get spread across the team.

I don’t like this. It allows coaches with higher salaries to essentially have another full ride. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Years ago my mother became employed at a local university and Was told after 4 years of employment I and my siblings would be eligible for free tuition had we been accepted and chosen to attend said university.

Good ole Bugtussle University, Home of the FIghting Boll Weevils!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ResiliteMarine said:

75% off at PSU.

That is what I am thinking as well for Brands at Iowa.  Based on Terry's salary (official and camps, clinics), he is probably paying part of the load for his kid but not too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I think as to Brands there is a more interesting question: By pulling Assad's shirt, hasn't be basically denied his own son a starting spot on the team?

No.  He might have denied his own nephew a starting spot, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...