Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Is Rasheed much of an upgrade over Conel?

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Saw Rasheed lost today to an unranked wrestler.  Say it's rust or injury or whatever but at this point is he looking like a significant upgrade over Conel?

Might Beard's shirt get pulled soon?

You mean the unranked wrestler that was fresh off a win over the then 2nd ranked 197lbs wrestler in the country?

Lucas Davison is a pretty good young wrestler who also beat Brunner of Purdue this weekend. It’s not a horrible loss for Rasheed as he shakes off the rust and adjusts to a bigger weight class. I highly doubt Beards redshirt gets pulled based on some of his results from this year. To me there’s not a better chance for him to AA than Rasheed. 

Edited by goheels1812

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Saw Rasheed lost today to an unranked wrestler.  Say it's rust or injury or whatever but at this point is he looking like a significant upgrade over Conel?

Might Beard's shirt get pulled soon?

What? You literally started a discussion like 9 days ago saying that Beard’s overrated.

Dumb take

As I’ve even saying, junior world medalists are extremely likely to AA. Only 1 graduate has not AAd (Nathan Butler). 

Rasheed has wrestled twice in 10 months. He weighed it at 184 recently. If he had won, I would’ve been shocked. 

He was undersized and not close to being ready for a good D1 opponent. Once he blows his lungs out and gets back into his groove, he will be much better. 

Lucas can beat anyone outside of Moore. I think he places 4th or so. 

3 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Dumb take

As I’ve even saying, junior world medalists are extremely likely to AA. Only 1 graduate has not AAd (Nathan Butler). 

Rasheed has wrestled twice in 10 months. He weighed it at 184 recently. If he had won, I would’ve been shocked. 

He was undersized and not close to being ready for a good D1 opponent. Once he blows his lungs out and gets back into his groove, he will be much better. 

Lucas can beat anyone outside of Moore. I think he places 4th or so. 

Dumb take is the JC special. He writes for News of the World and National Inquirer on the side.

20 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Is Rasheed really undersized?  Didn’t he supposedly have a tough cut to 184?  If that’s the case he should be about average sized for 197 IMO

He looks small right now. I think 184 is his ideal weight.

6 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Not so far, but in my book, he gets a month long pass to get his legs under him.

He looked pretty crappy last week, but he's been out a long time. For the record I've never  been a Rasheed fan, I think PSU should've went with Cassar instead of Rasheed a few years ago, but rust is definitely a factor. I remember my HS football team had a deep run in the playoffs my Sr year. We finally lost in the semifinals and the very next Friday was our first dual meet (Catoosa). I wrestled a fish and barely beat him, 10-8! I was lunging after the first period, but I was in "perfect" football shape :D I was just giving up a few weeks of conditioning, being out of the sport for a year or so is a lot worse. 

Edited by TobusRex

10 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

A fish from Catoosa.  Was he called Wanda?

Hey now, fish were pretty rare from Catoosa back in those days! They were consistently one of the top 5 teams in their class for decades and had a former D1 HWT as their HC (Homer McClure). 

Edited by TobusRex

I could never understand the Rasheed hype train. He's in his sixth year now and what has he done? He wasn't great when it counted at NCAA's last year and his best finish is 7th.  What big wins does he have? His best win is against who... Willie Miklus?

Edited by DocBZ

I'm still in the camp that Beard is the best option at 197 for PSU.   I think he has by FAR the most upside, and has NCAA Champ material written all over him (maybe not this year, but at some point during his career).  

Conel is done.  Shak is very rusty.  

19 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

I could never understand the Rasheed hype train. He's in his sixth year now and what has he done? He wasn't great when it counted at NCAA's last year and his best finish is 7th.  What big wins does he have? His best win is against who... Willie Miklus?

He lost by 1 to the ncaa champ Machivello and lost on the backside by 2 to Kolin Moore to send him to the 7th place match , I’d say he was pretty good when it counted, he majored mikulus for 7th

Rasheed was a dmn good 197 a few years ago with a style that seemed to confound opponents and led to lots of pins.  If he's healthy and gets back in shape, he's an AA caliber wrestler with a shot at being a finalist.  This is not a deep 197 wt class.  And it's January 13.  

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He lost by 1 to the ncaa champ Machivello and lost on the backside by 2 to Kolin Moore to send him to the 7th place match , I’d say he was pretty good when it counted, he majored mikulus for 7th

So his best 2 wins are losses...great, you answered my question.

5 minutes ago, DocBZ said:

So his best 2 wins are losses...great, you answered my question.

You said he didn’t perform at ncaas I pointed out that he did, .....his best wins are majoring a 4 time AA miklus, he pinned holschag in like 40 seconds, beat Venz twice (once with a torn ACL) , Bolen, he’s bonused Brunner twice ,Kevin beazley, he’s also pinned guys like Noah Adams and sammie colbray in the first period.

2 hours ago, DocBZ said:

His resume is better than Cassar's was going into last year and we all know how that turned out. Things can happen.

19 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

You said he didn’t perform at ncaas I pointed out that he did, .....his best wins are majoring a 4 time AA miklus, he pinned holschag in like 40 seconds, beat Venz twice (once with a torn ACL) , Bolen, he’s bonused Brunner twice ,Kevin beazley, he’s also pinned guys like Noah Adams and sammie colbray in the first period.

Yes thanks for reminding about Miklus...oh wait nm I mentioned him in my original post. Rasheed has underperformed his seed every year at NCAA. Seeded 2nd in 2019 and finished rd of 16. Seeded 5th and finished 7th in 2018. Those other names you listed aren't exactly a list of wrestling giants either. Oh and  I only see one win over Venz.

Edited by DocBZ

12 hours ago, DocBZ said:

Yes thanks for reminding about Miklus...oh wait nm I mentioned him in my original post. Rasheed has underperformed his seed every year at NCAA. Seeded 2nd in 2019 and finished rd of 16. Seeded 5th and finished 7th in 2018. Those other names you listed aren't exactly a list of wrestling giants either. Oh and  I only see one win over Venz.

Shak's under performance at  NCAA's in 2018 is due to Moore's first loss to Conel.