Anyone know what’s going on with the program at Duke? They have been never been a national powerhouse but they’ve at least fielded some decent individual wrestlers every year (Mitch Finesilver and Jacob Kasper recently). They’ve been getting blanked in duals all year. I know the remaining Finesilvers are redshirting, but I don’t see much else on the roster. I also checked back a few years and their roster has steadily decreased from 25 wrestlers in 2015-2016 to only 16 wrestlers this year. There’s not a single 125 pounder that’s not in redshirt even on the roster this year. I really hope that program isn’t losing funding and looking at a possibility of being cut. The ACC is already depleted with only 6 teams.

Edited by goheels1812

3 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Anyone know what’s going on with the program at Duke? They have been never been a national powerhouse but they’ve at least fielded some decent individual wrestlers every year (Mitch Finesilver and Jacob Kasper recently). They’ve been getting blanked in duals all year. I know the remaining Finesilvers are redshirting, but I don’t see much else on the roster. I also checked back a few years and their roster has steadily decreased from 25 wrestles in 2015-2016 to only 16 wrestlers this year. There’s not a single 125 pounder that’s not in redshirt even on the roster this year. I really hope that program isn’t losing funding and looking at a possibility of being cut. The ACC is already depleted with only 6 teams.

They also have a freshman from Bergen Catholic who will probably end up being a solid guy but he really should be redshirting and they have  another freshman from High point that is in redshirt too but I heard they had the roster limit cut to 20 I believe last year idk if it went down even more 

26 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Anyone know what’s going on with the program at Duke? They have been never been a national powerhouse but they’ve at least fielded some decent individual wrestlers every year (Mitch Finesilver and Jacob Kasper recently). They’ve been getting blanked in duals all year. I know the remaining Finesilvers are redshirting, but I don’t see much else on the roster. I also checked back a few years and their roster has steadily decreased from 25 wrestlers in 2015-2016 to only 16 wrestlers this year. There’s not a single 125 pounder that’s not in redshirt even on the roster this year. I really hope that program isn’t losing funding and looking at a possibility of being cut. The ACC is already depleted with only 6 teams.

Losing funding? They already are operating with a whopping 0.000 scholarships.

10 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Losing funding? They already are operating with a whopping 0.000 scholarships.

Maybe I worded that poorly. I was more so getting at the fact that it seems like a red flag that they get 0 scholarships as it is and are still being told to decrease their roster size every year. As @Antitroll2828 mentioned they were already told last year to cut down to 20 young men and now they are down to only 16 this year.  

Had the same thoughts when reviewing the Virginia Duals results.  Outside of their 174, they are just not D1 competitive.  

Did not realize they have 0.0 scholarships.

Tough to be competitive in an improving ACC under these circumstances.

This yet again highlites the disparity in resources between D1 Wrestling Programs.

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Duke forfeited 3 matches tonight against Fresno state but still did better this time then last weeks loss when they were shut out by Fresno at the Virginia duals 

I’m still slightly concerned about the number of wrestlers allowed on their roster. I’m glad to hear they have some decent recruits coming, but sounds like they will be thrown to the wolves from day 1 to fill spots. And this is coming from a UNC fan. I hate duke with every fiber of my soul. But wrestling is more important than rivalries and I hope to see their program moving in the right direction. Then once they are full strength UNC can crush them :)