Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Cael Valencia?

I thought I had seen - earlier - where Zahid and Anthony's younger brother Cael had committed.  However I recently looked at the lists of commitments on Intermat and The Open Mat and I do not see Cael Valencia listed as a commitment to any school.   He is a Junior in H.S. this season.   Has he, in fact, made a commitment?

8 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I do find it a little interesting that he hasn't committed to ASU yet. 

Agreed. He may want to blaze his own path. Will Zahid and Anthony stay at ASU to train? If not, wherever they end up may be a landing spot for Cael.

Edited by MikePorcelli

2 hours ago, Bronco said:

I thought I had seen - earlier - where Zahid and Anthony's younger brother Cael had committed.  However I recently looked at the lists of commitments on Intermat and The Open Mat and I do not see Cael Valencia listed as a commitment to any school.   He is a Junior in H.S. this season.   Has he, in fact, made a commitment?

How big a fan of wrestling is the Valencia guys' dad? Must be a crazy wrestling fan naming his Mexican American son "Cael" :D Wonder if Zahid's dad wrestled, and how good he was? I bet he was probably pretty good.

24 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

How big a fan of wrestling is the Valencia guys' dad? Must be a crazy wrestling fan naming his Mexican American son "Cael" :D Wonder if Zahid's dad wrestled, and how good he was? I bet he was probably pretty good.

He started Monster Garage with his sons...So I would say he's a huge fan of wrestling.Ruben Valencia I believe.

Valencias, Pico, Olivas and Davis were part of Monster Garage. 

Yah, runs his own wrestling club and is on the coaching staff at SJB. Named his kid Cael just months after Sanderson became a 4xer, haha.

CV has plenty of time to decide and the recruitment could be ASU’s to lose but I thought someone said he took an unofficial to Stanford? That would probably be a smart move for his future beyond wrestling, and I guess he could train with his old friend/rival Jaden Abas.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

160lber now.

Beat Gallagher a few weeks before Gallagher beat Facundo.

I'd say he's the best prospect in his class.

He’s a hell of a high school wrestler, no question. I’ll be really interested to see how he does in college. When I watch him wrestle I see 10x more Anthony than Zahid. 

6 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

You have to think he’s going to Penn State given his name. It’d be like somebody named Gable not going to Iowa.

Perhaps you MEANT to write ARIZONA State here and not Penn State. 

2 hours ago, MDogg said:

He’s a hell of a high school wrestler, no question. I’ll be really interested to see how he does in college. When I watch him wrestle I see 10x more Anthony than Zahid. 

So true. Quite similar to Anthony in build. Hell of an athlete. Physically well-developed. Doesn’t have the quickness and freakish hips of Zahid, though. 

15 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

So true. Quite similar to Anthony in build. Hell of an athlete. Physically well-developed. Doesn’t have the quickness and freakish hips of Zahid, though. 

Completely different trajectory than both brothers. Anthony and Zahid were national level studs from 9th grade on, but Cael took some time to work his way up the ranks. Does he have a higher ceiling? 

I've enjoyed watching his development over the past few years. Zahid and Anthony were household names at the top of national rankings and State Champs as freshmen in HS; as a freshman, Cael had a relatively quiet year and did not place at state. As a sophomore, he made it to the state finals and had great match with Abas. It's clear that Cael has worked hard to make it to the top of the rankings as a junior. Looking forward to his decision.

9 hours ago, ptz305 said:

Completely different trajectory than both brothers. Anthony and Zahid were national level studs from 9th grade on, but Cael took some time to work his way up the ranks. Does he have a higher ceiling? 

It's hard to imagine a higher ceiling than Zahid given what he has already done on the senior level.  I'd say Zahid's ceiling is olympic gold.  

6 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

It's hard to imagine a higher ceiling than Zahid given what he has already done on the senior level.  I'd say Zahid's ceiling is olympic gold.  

What has Zahid done on the senior level?

24 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

What has Zahid done on the senior level?

He was 2nd on the ladder in 2018 and 3rd in 2019.  The people he has lost to are Dake, who is a 2X world champion, and Ringer has won many international tournaments.  Zahid is also significantly younger than both of them.  I'm not saying he's going to win an olympic gold medal, but those are outstanding results for somebody still in college, and I think he has established that his ceiling is olympic/world gold.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

8 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Good point. I guess a better way to phrase it would have been, "given his trajectory, where is his ceiling?" Typically, if you can win the Super 32, you can AA.

When do you have to decide what someone's ceiling is? If you predicted Anthony's ceiling when he was drubbing Caldwall as a high school senior, you would probably say a world medal at least. But now even making a world team is never going to happen. So were we wrong on what his ceiling was or did he just fail to reach it?

Mj Jordan GIF - Mj Jordan TheCeilingIsTheRoof GIFs
Edited by Crotalus

7 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

He was 2nd on the ladder in 2018 and 3rd in 2019.  The people he has lost to are Dake, who is a 2X world champion, and Ringer has won many international tournaments.  Zahid is also significantly younger than both of them.  I'm not saying he's going to win an olympic gold medal, but those are outstanding results for somebody still in college, and I think he has established that his ceiling is olympic/world gold.  

We will see how he does this weekend.  I’m not necessarily saying Zahid won’t do well but people on here are trying to say Bo hasn’t accomplished anything yet and he won U23 Worlds which is more than Zahid in my opinion.