Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Interesting....special wrestle offs

Found this interesting given the talk around here about who will represent the men at certain weight classes.  Each program (WFS, MFS, GR) write their own procedures, and I didn't see anything in the men's procedures regarding the Pan Am qualifier.  Its right around the corner though, I wonder when the roster will be decided/released...

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2020/January/13/Special-Wrestle-Off-for-Pan-Am-qualifier-womens-team

In 2016, the weights in which we had already qualified the spot, we sent our top wrestler to the Pan Am Championships.  We didn't have a competitor in the Qualifier since we already earned the spot.  So, 74kg was already qualified, so Burroughs wrestled the first week in the Pan Am Championships.  No one wrestled the following week at the Qualifier.

For weights in which we didn't have the spot qualified, a back up wrestled the the Championships.  This then qualified a spot for the Qualifier.  Out best wrestler competed in the Qualifier.  At 125, we were not qualified.  Bradley wrestled at the Championships.  Dlagnev wrestled at the Qualifier.

The timing is tricky. The Pan Am qualifier is less than 3 weeks before OTTs, so who goes? Wrestlers headed to trials may not want to risk injury at PAs or having to peak twice in a short period.

If sending someone who has not yet qualified for trials, Pan Ams is also on the same week as NCAAs (winners) and around 10 days before the last chance US qualifier (top 2). 

I think wrestlers will be focused first on qualifying themselves, then winning OTTs, then qualifying the weight for Tokyo at a last chance like Cox, Tank, and Dennis(?) did in 2016, in that order - which might be risky. USAW may have to further sweeten the risk/reward for Pan Ams. 

While the turnaround is quick, I would imagine guys would want to go. If you haven't qualified for the Trials and you qualify the wright, you are then qualified for the trials. You also get seeding criteria. Each style is different, but in Greco and WFS you get a bye to Part 2 (Best of 3) of the trials and MFS uses it in it's criteria after head to head and common opponents. 

Pan Am is our best shot to qualify the remaining weights with only one world qualifier this time. You put everything you have into that and hope to not have to qualify later.

40 minutes ago, PinFallRecruit said:

While the turnaround is quick, I would imagine guys would want to go. If you haven't qualified for the Trials and you qualify the wright, you are then qualified for the trials. You also get seeding criteria. Each style is different, but in Greco and WFS you get a bye to Part 2 (Best of 3) of the trials and MFS uses it in it's criteria after head to head and common opponents. 

Pan Am is our best shot to qualify the remaining weights with only one world qualifier this time. You put everything you have into that and hope to not have to qualify later.

Yah, waiting until the final world qualifier is super risky. With the doping sanctions stuff who knows if we’ll see Russian wrestlers trying to qualify their weights for another country.

28 minutes ago, pamela said:

Yah, waiting until the final world qualifier is super risky. With the doping sanctions stuff who knows if we’ll see Russian wrestlers trying to qualify their weights for another country.

I would definitely not want to by pass putting best efforts into qualifying at the Pan Ams, for sake of the last chance.  That tournament is going to be TOUGH.  And while its a quick turnaround with the Pan Am.....but the difference in level of competition you're going to have to go through is significant. 

50 minutes ago, pamela said:

My understanding is that no expats will be able to wrestle for another country this year due to Olympic regulations. Does anyone have any more specific info regarding that issue?