NJDan

Naming Gable

Seeing that the Valencias have a son named Cael, reminded me of this question. The Steveson family has (at least) two sons. If they were crazy enough about wrestling to name one son Gable, why not their first son? Did they somehow know that the second  kid was bound for greatness on the mats and wanted him to have a name that fit? 

I think I know the answer (and it's a boring answer) but wanted to throw the question out there.

3 minutes ago, pamela said:

His mom said she heard Dan Gable’s name repeatedly while at a wrestling tournament during her pregnancy, and she liked how it sounded.

So the MOM made this choice. That's an interesting plot twist.

28 minutes ago, pamela said:

His mom said she heard Dan Gable’s name repeatedly while at a wrestling tournament during her pregnancy, and she liked how it sounded.

Per his Minn bio there’s only 2 kids in the family and Bobby’s only 3 (class) years ahead of Gable. So for her to be pregnant with Gable and at a wrestling tournament they either started their kids wrestling at a super young age or the family has a bigger connection to the sport

17 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

His Dad is Bobby Douglas? Whoa....

Haha it should be Douglas Bobby Steveson!

If you want your kid to be a good college wrestler, name him Steve (Mocco, Abas, Neal, Fittery, Bosak, Micic?) or maybe Kyle (Dake, Snyder, Ruschell, Conel, Crutchmer).

24 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Per his Minn bio there’s only 2 kids in the family and Bobby’s only 3 (class) years ahead of Gable. So for her to be pregnant with Gable and at a wrestling tournament they either started their kids wrestling at a super young age or the family has a bigger connection to the sport

There was also a third much older son (John), also a wrestler, who unfortunately passed away about 10 years ago when Bobby and Gable were little kids. So, it might have been his tournament.

41 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Also, CRistiano Ronaldo is named after Ronald Reagan, the actor, not the President.

Yep.  Ronaldo is his middle name... and I think that "I named him after the actor" was the family backtracking due to some of Reagan's policies not being very popular in Europe.  (Cristiano was born in 85; Reagan wasn't a very noteworthy actor)

1 minute ago, AHamilton said:

Yep.  Ronaldo is his middle name... and I think that "I named him after the actor" was the family backtracking due to some of Reagan's policies not being very popular in Europe.  (Cristiano was born in 85; Reagan wasn't a very noteworthy actor)

There is a monkey named Bonzo that wants to have a word with you.

1 hour ago, pamela said:

Haha it should be Douglas Bobby Steveson!

If you want your kid to be a good college wrestler, name him Steve (Mocco, Abas, Neal, Fittery, Bosak, Micic?) or maybe Kyle (Dake, Snyder, Ruschell, Conel, Crutchmer).

How about Jordan (Burroughs, Oliver, Kutler, Decatur, Jim/Jeff/Ben/Isaac/Bo/Micah/Rocky etc.)