Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

FRL 445

Pyles and Askren asked who was ranked ahead of Bo Nickal coming out of high school and they suggested maybe it was Johnny Sebastian. The answer is Chance Marsteller.

When talking about the 2012 Recruting class they also said Gulibon was a 2x AA. Gulibon AA'd once (5th at 133.)

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Pyles and Askren asked who was ranked ahead of Bo Nickal coming out of high school and they suggested maybe it was Johnny Sebastian. The answer is Chance Marsteller.

When talking about the 2012 Recruting class they also said Gulibon was a 2x AA. Gulibon AA'd once (5th at 133.)

Do you have Flo's weightclass rankings from 2014?  Because all I can find is this:  https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/6031442-2014-recruiting-class-rankings/14109-2014-recruiting-class-rankings

They have Bo listed as a 184, and Chance as a 165/174.   They also were pretty clear after some initial confusion that they were talking about in his weight class, not overall, which is obvious as Nickal wasn't #2 overall.

41 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

They also spent half the show saying that the race is iver, Iowa's to lose, 9 wrestlers ranked in top 4, biggest margin in March in years ...etc. 

No one should require analysis beyond that.

I'll assume this is sarcastic, since this is literally the analysis you've been touting in other threads.

Edited by VakAttack

33 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Do you have Flo's weightclass rankings from 2014?  Because all I can find is this:  https://www.flowrestling.org/rankings/6031442-2014-recruiting-class-rankings/14109-2014-recruiting-class-rankings

They have Bo listed as a 184, and Chance as a 165/174.   They also were pretty clear after some initial confusion that they were talking about in his weight class, not overall, which is obvious as Nickal wasn't #2 overall.

I'll assume this is sarcastic, since this is literally the analysis you've been touting in other threads.

The rankings were based on their high school weights. At the time Marsteller was the number 1 ranked 170lber in the country (and number 2 over all recruit behind Kyle Snyder) while Bo Nickal was number 2 at 170.

Marsteller originally verballed to PSU and then changed his mind to OSU. Shortly after Marsteller switched, PSU signed Nickal. About a year ago I asked on these boards had Marsteller not switched who PSU still signed Nickal.

As for the FRL guys, they were not being sarcastic and repeatedly said the team race (barring something catostrophic) is pretty much over.. aligning with Tbarr's pov. Only Pyles seemed to disagree (to a certain extent) aligning with Russle's thought.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I think the new FRL is very good.  Askren fits in well by adding his strong personality without being domineering, and it's a friendly group of smart, funny guys who interact productively together. 

I thought they made a good effort today to give a balanced analysis of the Iowa-Penn State likelihoods in line with the facts on the ground. 

To me the only person who could have a serious beef with today's discussion would be Jacob Warner (if he has a serious girlfriend).  

7 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

They also spent half the show saying that the race is iver, Iowa's to lose, 9 wrestlers ranked in top 4, biggest margin in March in years ...etc. 

No one should require analysis beyond that.

Not from them. They actually provided plenty. 

8 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Ahh, pretty honest mistakes. I didnt think they suggested they were certain about either one of those claims. Neither were overly important to the larger discussion and sometimes its just easier to keep the flow going than fact checking yourselves all the time. 

Edited by russelscout

7 hours ago, VakAttack said:

That's what they said, and yes that is what I have been saying. This is all anyone needs to know right now. 

Yesterday on the show Ben started to dominate the discussion and interrupt.A few times he cut CP off and CP got that look on his face he used to get when Willie talked over him.Hopefully they can find a balance yesterday was the first show Ben was Ben.In the other shows you could tell he was trying hard to not dominate the discussion.

12 minutes ago, calot said:

Yesterday on the show Ben started to dominate the discussion and interrupt.A few times he cut CP off and CP got that look on his face he used to get when Willie talked over him.Hopefully they can find a balance yesterday was the first show Ben was Ben.In the other shows you could tell he was trying hard to not dominate the discussion.

As moderator CP has had an overwhelming majority of the air time the past few years. I am happy to see Ben or anyone else take some of that time back.

45 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

That's what they said, and yes that is what I have been saying. This is all anyone needs to know right now. 

You're not allowed to use this strategy when you're on record saying, a thousand times, some version of "I will always bet on Penn State because they always win until proven otherwise." 

Just now, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

You're not allowed to use this strategy when you're on record saying, a thousand times, some version of "I will always bet on Penn State because they always win until proven otherwise." 

Look, I am not even trying to make the argument to prove some point. It is undeniable that PSU has suffered a lot of injuries. What do you think a rational fan would do? Deny what is self evident? 

1 hour ago, lost said:

SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET GOT SOMETHING WRONG!  Quick, to the message boards!~

Actually, they ASKED who was ahead of Nickal coming out of high school because they weren't sure.

If you put a question out there on the internet, typically you want it to be answered.

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Ahh, pretty honest mistakes. I didnt think they suggested they were certain about either one of those claims. Neither were overly important to the larger discussion and sometimes its just easier to keep the flow going than fact checking yourselves all the time. 

Yes, they were not certain. I was posting to let them know the answer. I dont use twitter.

41 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Actually, they ASKED who was ahead of Nickal coming out of high school because they weren't sure.

If you put a question out there on the internet, typically you want it to be answered.

Ahh. I misunderstood. I wasn't aware that they were asking for an answer, I thought you were correcting them.

Askren has been great, they are still working out the kinks (mostly related to Ben steering discussions somewhere else before they finish the one they are on) but I'm a total believer now despite some early skepticism.  Ben's analysis as a coach/technician and his ability to argue while not making it super heated/personal has been great.  Great lighthearted discussions, great atmosphere and way less toxicity than before.  They made an already great product even better...

Ben can make a point, admit he may be wrong and is good at including the counterpoints from his co-hosts.  All too often before it was "everyone against Willie" or "everyone against Nomad" where the person being attacked would double down to infinity and make for uncomfortable bickering.

Bratke and Bray having less input so far has been the biggest bummer but they still chime in when needed.  But all-in-all FRL has improved with Askren

2 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Look, I am not even trying to make the argument to prove some point. It is undeniable that PSU has suffered a lot of injuries. What do you think a rational fan would do? Deny what is self evident? 

Eh, not to turn every thread into a PSU thread but really the only significant one is Cassar.   Conel stunk and it seems Berge should be coming back.   Rasheed's been injured for 3 years.   Now of course losing last year's NC at heavyweight could be the difference in the team race though.

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Eh, not to turn every thread into a PSU thread but really the only significant one is Cassar.   Conel stunk and it seems Berge should be coming back.   Rasheed's been injured for 3 years.   Now of course losing last year's NC at heavyweight could be the difference in the team race though.

Rasheed was preparing to go 184 and is now at a less than ideal weight. Berge may come back, but Cael Sanderson talking like we may not see him until March is troubling to say the least. There is no way to spin that as a positive or even as a non event.