77again

Matteo Pelicone Rome Olympic Ranking Tournament

OK, read the thread, nothing of substance as to why Nickal didn't wrestle.  I see there was some nice fresh hypocrisy on Nickal...choosing not to wrestle Snyder, though.  I remember all kinds of criticism, mostly from the Happy Valley contingent, for certain Iowa wrestlers for wrestling one dual match in a weekend, but not the next one.  Or Spencer for wrestling one day of a tournament but not the next.  However, Nickal wrestling one match and forfeiting his next match the same day....totally cool.  Weird how that happens.

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

OK, read the thread, nothing of substance as to why Nickal didn't wrestle.  I see there was some nice fresh hypocrisy on Nickal...choosing not to wrestle Snyder, though.  I remember all kinds of criticism, mostly from the Happy Valley contingent, for certain Iowa wrestlers for wrestling one dual match in a weekend, but not the next one.  Or Spencer for wrestling one day of a tournament but not the next.  However, Nickal wrestling one match and forfeiting his next match the same day....totally cool.  Weird how that happens.

Fandom.

4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Plus they're also mad that Spencer would tech anybody PSU threw out there against him.

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Nickal wrestled 3 matches prior to the forfeit.

Well I am not sure why Bo isn't going 86, maybe he just doesn't want to wrestle his friend. ( David Taylor ). It does concern me though because I believe Bo would be an absolute force at 86. And who knows, he could be the future for us at this weight, but I do hear the rumors that he's headed off to MMA at some point here in the future, which if true, will be MMA's gain and our loss.

As far as SnyderMan is concerned, he had a very tough time breaking through the Iranians defenses and who was very fast and strong, and Kyle was attacking from too far away in my opinion and it caused him to get out of position and subsequently our maneuvered. As far as him getting caught on his back, he just got caught up in a funky position. I do think that SnyderMan has kind of gone away from his devastating head snaps, so that may be something that needs to be looked at, the other thing is his counter wrestling game, now that he is at NLWC, he will have the opportunity to work with DT, and Bo, in this area. Now as I type this I am watching SnyderMan's Bronze medal match where he did score quite a few of his points from counters and re-shots, but the counter wrestling game I am talking about is some of the stuff you see J'den, DT, and Bo use. Anyway congrats on SnyderMan's Bronze medal. 

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Teammates not competing against one another is common in other sports. So why not wrestling. This was on the backside of a tournament that probably doesn’t mean much to bo. 

Just now, will-i-am23 said:

Teammates not competing against one another is common in other sports. So why not wrestling. This was on the backside of a tournament that probably doesn’t mean much to bo. 

The match is for ranking points at the Olympics.  Get all the way out of here with that garbage.

45 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Damn, taking a firm stance.

Yes we all knew he was under sized.
Yes (scroll back) I too saw that shootout match as a just sad sad reflection of his potential at the weight.

However. He lost to the best guy there, and it's his first venture up to 97kg. Obviously he doesnt have time to pack on muscle but, it's an eye opener for him, I'd anticipate better future showings. I do have greater doubts he unseats Snyderman for the spot on the team. But... this doesnt swing me decisively off his ability to compete.

Fair enough. I just really think people underestimated how much strength and size Bo was giving up at 97. This is exactly why you’ll see someone like Cox go through hell to make 86 for trials. He understands the difference in size. 

5 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Plus they're also mad that Spencer would tech anybody PSU threw out there against him.

I don't know.  If we're being pacific and saying that anyone at 125, then yes... I agree... nobody from Penn State, if they cut to 125, could beat Spencer Lee.

HOW EV URR.

If it is just a whoever shows up to wrestle style match, I think Nick Lee beats him(at 141).  J/S.

PS-Still think Nickal is at worst our #2 for OTT, behind Snyder only.  If Cox goes 97, then I believe he'll be our #2 then Nickal.  I don't see Snyder losing domestically when it counts.

Say what you want.  Until proven otherwise, he is my Cap.

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The match is for ranking points at the Olympics.  Get all the way out of here with that garbage.

The biggest question in my mind, is not about why they didn't wrestle. It's not really that surprising (though I know you are just trying to point out the hypocrisy). But rather why Snyder gets favored over Bo. Did the coaching staff decide that Snyder needed the ranking points, or did Bo offer to stand down, indicating he may not be 100% committed. Regardless, it feels like Bo is really getting the ****ty end of the stick. But maybe he doesn't care.

Edited by Crotalus

bo isn't beating anyone of consequence at 97... why he was allowed to waste any USAW funds to go out there is a tad bit annoying to me... 

like so many have offered previously, get in or out and him at 97 is definitely not in...

and i am beginning to lean towards cox having an easier match with snyder than taylor right now... 

9 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I don't know.  If we're being pacific and saying that anyone at 125, then yes... I agree... nobody from Penn State, if they cut to 125, could beat Spencer Lee.

HOW EV URR.

If it is just a whoever shows up to wrestle style match, I think Nick Lee beats him(at 141).  J/S.

Of course it would be at 125.  They have weight classes for a reason although I'm pretty sure he'd still beat RBY. 

Snyder is just so damn muscular. He doesn’t seem to have much balance during quick change of direction sequences. When he goes to his back he looks like a turtle on its back. I’ve always loved Snyderman, but he just doesn’t look like he’s improved much since his olympic gold and beating Sadulaev. While other guys have continued to improve. Watching Snyder now really makes me wonder if J’Den could take his spot at 97 kg this spring.  

Edited by goheels1812

18 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

It's a duck, simple as that.  The lions don't like letting anyone know what's going on with their guys, so I imagine in the event that Snyder and Nickal do end up squaring off at the Olympic Trials, they'll hold the match ahead of time in their wrestling room and have the loser walk out and MFF at the event.  

Crotalus, I feel that Bo ( and maybe even the USA coaching staff weighed in as well) recognizes that SnyderMan is our guy at the moment so I think for the team sake, he forfeited out so that SnyderMan could have the opportunity to garner the much needed seeding points. And of course there could be more to this as well, and as a fan, it would be nice to see these two go get after it. Also it would also be nice to see how Bo and Gadson do against each other. I know Gadson had a down performance last time out, but he has been our number 2 at 97 for a couple of years now, I wonder how Bo would do against him. 

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

When do the men wrestle? 

GREAT finish for Zare. Only got to turn it on in what I guess was the middle of a lost challenge but he didn't worry down a point and finished strong. Raised Makhov's hand at the end too. Friends or general respect?

Mohammedian ran Hushtyn off the mat even without a tech.

Quite a day for Iran.

Edited by ugarte

Fair enough. I just really think people underestimated how much strength and size Bo was giving up at 97. This is exactly why you’ll see someone like Cox go through hell to make 86 for trials. He understands the difference in size. 
Yeah to a greater note I think we look too much toward domestic competition. Cause in my mind (which may be completely off base) Jden knows he can beat Kyle....that said.... he has definitely felt that muscle and I wonder if the proposition of beating the rest of the world at 97kg is more daunting than Yazdani...

I think we get too caught up in "does he think Snyder or Taylor is the easier out" vs "which world weight is harder"

Just now, ugarte said:

GREAT finish for Zare. Only got to turn it on in what I guess was the middle of a lost challenge but he didn't worry down a point and finished strong. Raised Makhov's hand at the end too. Friends or general respect?

Mohammedi ran Hushtyn off the mat even without a tech.

Quite a day for Iran.

General respect. Makhov was so much bigger than Zare (and older - Makhov is 32 Zare is 18/19!) and didn't tire in the second period, but Zare gritted it out. Zare continuing to show that his victory over Geno wasn't a fluke and that he's a legit top 5 guy at 125kg. 

3 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah to a greater note I think we look too much toward domestic competition. Cause in my mind (which may be completely off base) Jden knows he can beat Kyle....that said.... he has definitely felt that muscle and I wonder if the proposition of beating the rest of the world at 97kg is more daunting than Yazdani...

I think we get too caught up in "does he think Snyder or Taylor is the easier out" vs "which world weight is harder"

i do tend to agree with this... cox is probably thinking bigger picture, but, he still has to make the team to get there...