77again

Matteo Pelicone Rome Olympic Ranking Tournament

Just now, bnwtwg said:

We all like to give Cael a hard time, but 1) he does what is in the best interest of the people he is hired to coach and 2) I highly doubt he told Nickal to actually duck but I have no idea. It's one thing to rest your guys for NCAAs but this is a whole different ball game. This whole thing smells pretty fishy and we are probably never going to get a straight answer.

I was always under the impression he was hired to train the athletes...

Bo / Snyder - clearly they have their reasons.  Why is everyone so bent?  They had their reasons and I could care less whether they told me what they were or not.  Folks, get over it!  It's not such a big deal. If you think your money is being wasted, don't renew your membership next year.  You'll be missed!

2 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

Snyder is just so damn muscular. He doesn’t seem to have much balance during quick change of direction sequences. When he goes to his back he looks like a turtle on its back. I’ve always loved Snyderman, but he just doesn’t look like he’s improved much since his olympic gold and beating Sadulaev. While other guys have continued to improve. Watching Snyder now really makes me wonder if J’Den could take his spot at 97 kg this spring.  

There are a number of comments now about how Snyder is musclebound, which detracts from his agility and balance. I'm curious as to why nobody has addressed the fact that Snyder was gassed at the time of the fall. I've only watched the match once so far, and it was pretty clear that Kyle was huffing pretty hard when the ref blew the action dead for a stalemate with 2:00 remaining and Snyder down 4-0. Snyder really advertises it when he is gassed; he huffs deeply, trying to oxygenate at a time when it is already too late. It was clear in the Rec Hall match against Nevills, and it was clear in his loss against Sharifov at Worlds. This also answers the questions about why he doesn't bridge or make much of an effort to get off his back. He is gassed, has lost the match, and is waiting for the end.

21 minutes ago, RED said:

Bo / Snyder - clearly they have their reasons.  Why is everyone so bent?  They had their reasons and I could care less whether they told me what they were or not.  Folks, get over it!  It's not such a big deal. If you think your money is being wasted, don't renew your membership next year.  You'll be missed!

This. 

13 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

Well he did just beat the guy who took fifth at worlds This past year.... 

who exactly was that?

(i can't tell if you are being clever or i am being thick)

9 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

There are a number of comments now about how Snyder is musclebound, which detracts from his agility and balance. I'm curious as to why nobody has addressed the fact that Snyder was gassed at the time of the fall. I've only watched the match once so far, and it was pretty clear that Kyle was huffing pretty hard when the ref blew the action dead for a stalemate with 2:00 remaining and Snyder down 4-0. Snyder really advertises it when he is gassed; he huffs deeply, trying to oxygenate at a time when it is already too late. It was clear in the Rec Hall match against Nevills, and it was clear in his loss against Sharifov at Worlds. This also answers the questions about why he doesn't bridge or make much of an effort to get off his back. He is gassed, has lost the match, and is waiting for the end.

He was literally gasping for air like a fish out of water at the end there. Which is odd because he is the one that gassed out Sadulaev in Rd 1. And yes I agree he does look to bulky to me.

I thought his overall strategy was pretty poor as well, pushed the action way to much and just wore himself down. He was flat out dominated. Sad to see him fall that far...

Edited by DocBZ

8 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

tenor.gif

24 minutes ago, RED said:

in a domestic tournament, i feel much the same... even overseas i don't think they personally owe anyone anything to wrestle, but, they are subsidized to go over there and represent our country... they are both in the bracket... there is a reasonable assumption they could meet... if they don't accept the possibility they could wrestle each other, don't waste funds to go over there... 

did the chiks FF any matches to each other?

does anyone think if fix and gillman meet, they won't wrestle?

the bigger point to me is that bo isn't all in... and i don't get the sense he is... if not, fine... no big deal... quit wasting other peoples money just to kill time...

3 hours ago, LJB said:

how can snyder's par terre still be this bad?

no technique at all... it is so frustrating... he has been "coached" by some of the best in this country and no one has got him to use even decent technique on a gut?

LJ,  I agree 100%. I have tried to hold off commenting on this subject because I don't know near enough but that being said you can look at results and make some valid assumptions. Even China & Venezuela consistently get turns against us whether it be Greco or freestyle and we seem to be horrible on top and bottom for that matter. I can understand some people having a major skill set that they don't need it such as Snyder but it seems like the only people that we have that are really good at it are those people who would be good at it regardless of where they wrestled. When did we ever seen anybody get measurably better in par terre once they started concentrating on freestyle? I'm not saying it hasn't happened but I can't remember it. I don't have the answer and answers are usually better than pointing fingers but in this case I'm at a loss. Anybody?

7 minutes ago, LJB said:

in a domestic tournament, i feel much the same... even overseas i don't think they personally owe anyone anything to wrestle, but, they are subsidized to go over there and represent our country... they are both in the bracket... there is a reasonable assumption they could meet... if they don't accept the possibility they could wrestle each other, don't waste funds to go over there... 

did the chiks FF any matches to each other?

does anyone think if fix and gillman meet, they won't wrestle?

the bigger point to me is that bo isn't all in... and i don't get the sense he is... if not, fine... no big deal... quit wasting other peoples money just to kill time...

Jeez. Some of you write as if you are personally sponsoring Bo (maybe you are, what do I know?), and he has personally offended you by forfeiting his match against Snyder. 

I personally did not see the point in the two meeting in the repechage. Why risk the injury? I'd assume the two likely know the outcome anyways--they've been training together as teammates for many weeks now. The objective of this tournament was to secure ranking points, and although we didn't get Gold, the object was partially achieved. 

If the objective was to see if Bo was better than Snyder, I don't think they'd have to go Rome to figure that one out. 

5 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

Indeed, why not both? My post was pointing out a contributing factor that I felt nobody was addressing. I was not trying to deny claims that being too muscular was adversely affecting his mobility and agility. 

Definitely agreed. I think there’s a few things working against Snyderman at this point. He’s still one hell of an elite competitor, but there’s a select group of guys internationally that seem to have surpassed him. 

11 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

Jeez. Some of you write as if you are personally sponsoring Bo (maybe you are, what do I know?), and he has personally offended you by forfeiting his match against Snyder. 

I personally did not see the point in the two meeting in the repechage. Why risk the injury? I'd assume the two likely know the outcome anyways--they've been training together as teammates for many weeks now. The objective of this tournament was to secure ranking points, and although we didn't get Gold, the object was partially achieved. 

If the objective was to see if Bo was better than Snyder, I don't think they'd have to go Rome to figure that one out. 

if you have a USAW membership, then yes, you are personally sponsoring every athlete... 

if the objective of this tourney was solely to achieve ranking points, then bo should not have gone to begin with... he is wasting other people's time and money... 

7 hours ago, WF89 said:

He’s just there to collect the NLWC money that is owed to him.

I’m not sure if this comment is in jest, but it is honestly the only explanation I can think of. He is clearly more focused on mma than this Olympic run. It’s a shame because it is only a few months for him to go all in for freestyle, but he just doesn’t have the interest it seems. 

5 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Bo is perfect for 92kg but unfortunately for him it looks it's perfect for J'Den as well.  Snyder is too musclebound.  It's compromises his balance.  

LOL, because all of those muscular gymnasts have horrible balance. 

37 minutes ago, LJB said:

if you have a USAW membership, then yes, you are personally sponsoring every athlete... 

if the objective of this tourney was solely to achieve ranking points, then bo should not have gone to begin with... he is wasting other people's time and money... 

Thanks for being a member, but I don't think you are seeing the big picture. 

Here's a scenario to ponder: imagine if Snyder were to get injured in his first match and proceeded to forfeit out of the tournament. If USA wrestling had sent 0 other 97kg wrestlers, we'd be out of luck on getting any ranking points. However, if USA wrestling sent an additional wrestler at 97kg (which we did in both Nickal and Zillmer), we'd still have ample opportunity to get ranking points. Hence, USA wrestling sent 3 guys to secure ranking points. 

You seem to be upset because you didn't get to see Nickal vs. Snyder in the repechage. Other than for your entertainment, it appears there wasn't much reason for that match to actually take place today. I've seen teammates forfeit to one another many times at the high school and college level. If Snyder were still with the Ohio RTC and had met Nickal, I'm guessing there's a good chance they would have wrestled. But that's not the case.

I'd say your time and money would be wasted if our coaches were sending Snyder and Nickal to Rome to wrestle one another. The objective of this tournament was to secure ranking points. Sending multiple guys at each weight only increased our chances of meeting that objective. I suppose if two USA wrestlers are rivals or have unsettled business, they can have at it if they meet. 

4 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

It's a duck, simple as that.  The lions don't like letting anyone know what's going on with their guys, so I imagine in the event that Snyder and Nickal do end up squaring off at the Olympic Trials, they'll hold the match ahead of time in their wrestling room and have the loser walk out and MFF at the event.  

...ordered by Cael...

4 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

Thanks for being a member, but I don't think you are seeing the big picture. 

Here's a scenario to ponder: imagine if Snyder were to get injured in his first match and proceeded to forfeit out of the tournament. If USA wrestling had sent 0 other 97kg wrestlers, we'd be out of luck on getting any ranking points. However, if USA wrestling sent an additional wrestler at 97kg (which we did in both Nickal and Zillmer), we'd still have ample opportunity to get ranking points. Hence, USA wrestling sent 3 guys to secure ranking points. 

You seem to be upset because you didn't get to see Nickal vs. Snyder in the repechage. Other than for your entertainment, it appears there wasn't much reason for that match to actually take place today. I've seen teammates forfeit to one another many times at the high school and college level. If Snyder were still with the Ohio RTC and had met Nickal, I'm guessing there's a good chance they would have wrestled. But that's not the case.

I'd say your time and money would be wasted if our coaches were sending Snyder and Nickal to Rome to wrestle one another. The objective of this tournament was to secure ranking points. Sending multiple guys at each weight only increased our chances of meeting that objective. I suppose if two USA wrestlers are rivals or have unsettled business, they can have at it if they meet. 

rankings points are for individuals only... they are not transferable...

Edited by LJB

1 hour ago, LJB said:

Do you know anything at all about the process that went into place in putting together the three athletes that went at 97kg?  I mean if wrestling that match is the big factor in whether or not he/they wasted your and my money, would seem logical that going to Rome to wrestle a guy your in the room with every single day would be a bigger waste of money. 

Edited by Lurker

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Do you know anything at all about the process that went into place in putting together the three athletes that went at 97kg?  I mean if wrestling that match is the big factor in whether or not he/they wasted your and my money, would seem logical that going to Rome to wrestle a guy your in the room with every single day would be a bigger waste of money. 

i agree... and that is my main rub... bo doesn't have a chance in hell of beating snyder...

so, why even go if you never intended to wrestle him?

he could have just as easily gone to france and taken his mups there without fear of having to wrestle the big bad wolf snyder...

6 minutes ago, LJB said:

i agree... and that is my main rub... bo doesn't have a chance in hell of beating snyder...

so, why even go if you never intended to wrestle him?

he could have just as easily gone to france and taken his mups there without fear of having to wrestle the big bad wolf snyder...

Jeez. I already highlighted why Team USA would send multiple guys in the previous post. I suppose you just choose to ignore those points. 

3 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

Jeez. I already highlighted why Team USA would send multiple guys in the previous post. I suppose you just choose to ignore those points. 

jeez... you must have missed my reply... your whole post was bunk because rankings points are not transferable... i suppose you choose to ignore or just not bother to learn the process...