77again

Matteo Pelicone Rome Olympic Ranking Tournament

Bo going 97 before the results of this tourney seemed sketchy and egotistical. Now in hindsight it just seems asinine. I know I'm gonna get some flack for this but Bo always seemed to have an inflated view of himself. His decision to go 97 and give up 20 or so pounds to the best guys in the world is ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, LJB said:

jeez... you must have missed my reply... your whole post was bunk because rankings points are not transferable... i suppose you choose to ignore or just not bother to learn the process...

So what if they're not transferable? What happens if Snyder gets a serious injury in round 1? Then we have Bo and Zillmer try and get some ranking points for themselves. My points still stand. You're really upset and making a big deal over nothing. I can't fathom how this concept is remotely difficult for someone to grasp. 

50 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

LOL, because all of those muscular gymnasts have horrible balance. 

The male gymnasts that are 5’4” and weigh 135 pounds soaking wet? 

Snyders size and musculature are much more comparable to a power lifter than a male gymnast. Not saying that’s a bad thing as he’s wrestling 97 kg. But if you’ve ever seen an Olympic male gymnast that size I’d be shocked. 

Edited by goheels1812

18 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

So what if they're not transferable? What happens if Snyder gets a serious injury in round 1? Then we have Bo and Zillmer try and get some ranking points for themselves. My points still stand. You're really upset and making a big deal over nothing. I can't fathom how this concept is remotely difficult for someone to grasp. 

i'm not upset... 

what if snyder gets injured?

what if a meteor hits the mat?

what if a plaque breaks out????

neither bo or zilmer are able to score any ranking points... as evidenced by their finishing positions... the present bore this out as has the past... 

i can't fathom how this concept is remotely diffulcult for someone to grasp...

Well again to reiterate, I think that Bo forfeited out ( probably due to the coaches direction ), so that SnyderMan (who is our current number 1), would have a chance to garner some seeding points. 

I think SnyderMan got frustrated with not being able to break through the Iranian’s defense, and it caused him to take some ill advised attacks. As far as being gassed, I can only guess that he was trying to win a war of attrition and in that final scramble he just got caught in a very bad position, and he didn’t have much of anything left. 

So my question is why did SnyderMan get beat, was it because he not in his best shape? Was it because he got frustrated? Was it because he was facing an extremely strong and fast opponent? Was it a combination of all the above? I guess the positive of this tourney for SnyderMan, will be that he has a lot to work on when he gets back home. 

39 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

The male gymnasts that are 5’4” and weigh 135 pounds soaking wet? 

Snyders size and musculature are much more comparable to a power lifter than a male gymnast. Not saying that’s a bad thing as he’s wrestling 97 kg. But if you’ve ever seen an Olympic male gymnast that size I’d be shocked. 

... but proportionately they have the same musculature. And Snyder is 5'10 at best. Look at those gymnasts or ever cirque de soleil acrobats! Being muscular does not give you bad balance!!!

My point is: Is it possible that Snyder looks to have bad balance because : 1) He has bad balance; 2) He pushes recklessly or 3) becuase he gasses?

"Muscle bound" is such an outdated concept.  The 1950s want their term back.

Edited by AHamilton

Wrestling fans are so the opposite of all other sports fans. No one gets any slack. We’re tough and intellectually honest. I love it. Fits the sport. 

As for Bo, who knows. He has time. Wrestling up is not without its benefits. You get experience against people you won’t wrestle. You have to work hard. Etc. 

20 minutes ago, LJB said:

i'm not upset... 

what if snyder gets injured?

what if a meteor hits the mat?

what if a plaque breaks out????

neither bo or zilmer are able to score any ranking points... as evidenced by their finishing positions... the present bore this out as has the past... 

i can't fathom how this concept is remotely diffulcult for someone to grasp...

It appears you've made up your mind and no legitimate points can sway you from your stance. Anyways, I'm glad you're supporting USA wrestling. And I am even more happy you are not making any of the coaching decisions. 

1 minute ago, AHamilton said:

... but proportionately they have the same musculature. And Snyder is 5'10 at best. Look at those gymnasts or ever cirque de soleil acrobats! Being muscular does not give you bad balance!!!

My point is: Is it possible that Snyder looks to have bad balance because : 1) He has bad balance; 2) He pushes recklessly or 3) becuase he gasses?

So

Proportionately Snyder is much thicker. 

And no, it’s just an adjective for one with overdeveloped muscles.

10 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

It appears you've made up your mind and no legitimate points can sway you from your stance. Anyways, I'm glad you're supporting USA wrestling. And I am even more happy you are not making any of the coaching decisions. 

when i see a legitimate point, i will take it into consideration... 

so far, not so much...

37 minutes ago, de4856 said:

Well again to reiterate, I think that Bo forfeited out ( probably due to the coaches direction ), so that SnyderMan (who is our current number 1), would have a chance to garner some seeding points. 

whether or not bo walks on the mat would have had absolutely no bearing on snyder's seeding points... 

11 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I can get behind most of this. My only caveat would be that I think Snyder does look more muscular than he looked when he peaked (in my opinion at least) in 2016/2017. And back then he seemed to have a little bit better “bend” if you will. I think we are kind of pushing the same point, just in different words. 

I really want captain America to get back on track as being one of the best internationally, if not the best. I feel like I’ve been doing a lot of critiquing him in this thread and that wasn’t my intention at all. He’s one of the best of the decade for USA wrestling. It really sucks to see him struggling in certain matches. I have faith we will see him back in prime form. 

17 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Proportionately Snyder is much thicker. 

And no, it’s just an adjective for one with overdeveloped muscles.

Image result for jacked gymnast"

No, he is not proportionately thicker.  Meet Donnell Whittenburg.  2x World medalist in artistic gymnastics.  More proportionately muscular than Snyder yet somehow still has balance.  They are many many more like him in various gymnastics and acrobatic events.  Muscles do not ruin your balance.

What about NFL running backs and linebackers?  Is Ezekiel Elliot musclebound?  Derrick Henry?

11 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I can get behind most of this. My only caveat would be that I think Snyder does look more muscular than he looked when he peaked (in my opinion at least) in 2016/2017. And back then he seemed to have a little bit better “bend” if you will. I think we are kind of pushing the same point, just in different words. 

I really want captain America to get back on track as being one of the best internationally, if not the best. I feel like I’ve been doing a lot of critiquing him in this thread and that wasn’t my intention at all. He’s one of the best of the decade for USA wrestling. It really sucks to see him struggling in certain matches. I have faith we will see him back in prime form. 

I almost feel as if he were better when he was doing NCAA stuff.  But that's just me.

1 hour ago, LJB said:

jeez... you must have missed my reply... your whole post was bunk because rankings points are not transferable... i suppose you choose to ignore or just not bother to learn the process...

No one is suggesting ranking points are transferable. Has nothing to do with it. Did USA send just one athlete in each weight class? Nope. Many others had 3. Are many of those non #1’s even less likely to make the team or do anything on the Olympic stage than Bo? For sure. But I don’t see you bitching about one of them. If some of those # 2’s get some wins and some points....and then happen to go because the guy who beat them at OTT’s finals (Colon anyone?)...hey they are in and with some points. If not, they got some good international competition (purpose #2 for sending a large delegation to this tournament). The fact that two guys who spend each day together in the room didn’t compete against each other, but got some good international matches in (and points accumulated) is in no way shape or form a waste of yours, mine, or any other USAW members money. The purpose of our money has nothing to do with that scenario. 

I agree with a lot of your stuff. Not here necessarily but in general. What I don’t get is your notion that if a thought, idea, opinion, way of doing something is different than yours....it’s idiotic, bunk, a waste, etc. And no other perspective is even considerable. Why?  Why such an extremely narrow mind?  

9 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

No, he is not proportionately thicker.  Meet Donnell Whittenburg.  2x World medalist in artistic gymnastics.  More proportionately muscular than Snyder yet somehow still has balance.  They are many many more like him in various gymnastics and acrobatic events.  Muscles do not ruin your balance.

What about NFL running backs and linebackers?  Is Ezekiel Elliot musclebound?  Derrick Henry?

Good point. All I know is when I watched that match I thought, Snyder looks even more muscle bound and his balance looked off. I assumed they were correlated but perhaps you’re right...nah I still think they are!  

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I agree with a lot of your stuff. Not here necessarily but in general. What I don’t get is your notion that if a thought, idea, opinion, way of doing something is different than yours....it’s idiotic, bunk, a waste, etc. And no other perspective is even considerable. Why?  Why such an extremely narrow mind?  

ugh... 

do you really think i feel that way?

really?

i could not possibly care less if bo wrestles snyder or not in the grand scheme of things... we already know that outcome... and clearly they do as well... which is the only plausible reason they didn't wrestle...

to be perfectly honest, i wanted them to wrestle so we could dispense of the nonsense about bo at 97 that has been on the collective mind, but, whatever... that **** will come out in the wash no matter what... here or a little later in april...

i do get annoyed when it is clear an athlete is not giving him(her)self the best chance to succeed at the absolute highest level... because this isn't beating up on (relatively) nobodies in college... this is the pinnacle... and it isn't on their dime... it is on someone else's...

that does kind of bother me on principle alone... 

bo clearly isn't into it... cool... move on... do your thing... 

but, that isn't what happened this week, is it?

23 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

That dude is a friggin' hoss. Wow. 

You have good points. I do think you are underestimating the impact of a high BMI (due to muscle or not) on fitness, however. There is definitely an inverse correlation between BMI and shape. Wrestling is more anaerobic than aerobic but it is much more aerobic than gymnastics or football, especially when you wrestle at Snyder's pace. As he has gotten bigger and stronger, his wind has not improved at best and probably gotten worse. I get this qualifying tournament is not what Snyder is peaking for, but he was gassing uncontrollably before he got stuck. I would trade more stamina for a less strength in a heartbeat if I were him. Who knows, maybe he can achieve both by April and  then after a small layoff, again at the Olympics. His competitors will all have the same peaking schedule though.

19 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Good point. All I know is when I watched that match I thought, Snyder looks even more muscle bound and his balance looked off. I assumed they were correlated but perhaps you’re right...nah I still think they are!  

... and that is why you are absolutely WRONG

Look up a couple NFL running backs too...

12 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

That dude is a friggin' hoss. Wow. 

You have good points. I do think you are underestimating the impact of a high BMI (due to muscle or not) on fitness, however. There is definitely an inverse correlation between BMI and shape. Wrestling is more anaerobic than aerobic but it is much more aerobic than gymnastics or football, especially when you wrestle at Snyder's pace. As he has gotten bigger and stronger, his wind has not improved at best and probably gotten worse. I get this qualifying tournament is not what Snyder is peaking for, but he was gassing uncontrollably before he got stuck. I would trade more stamina for a less strength in a heartbeat if I were him. Who knows, maybe he can achieve both by April and  then after a small layoff, again at the Olympics. His competitors will all have the same peaking schedule though.

I'm not talking about fitness.  I just went from 230 lb powerlifter to 180 lb marathoner.  I understand BMI and fitness.

I'm just saying that muscle mass does not decrease your balance if you are an athlete.

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

I'm not talking about fitness.  I just went from 230 lb powerlifter to 180 lb marathoner.  I understand BMI and fitness.

I'm just saying that muscle mass does not decrease your balance if you are an athlete.

There’s actually a case for increasing it, depending on how you put it on. Balancing out your physique proportionately and strengthening the stabilizers should increase your balance. 

5 hours ago, LJB said:

who exactly was that?

(i can't tell if you are being clever or i am being thick)

Alishar Yergali from Kazakhstan, the guy Bo beat 13-12, made it to the semis at worlds last year where he lost to Sadulaev. Then he lost in the bronze medal match 8 to 5

11 minutes ago, Cradle1 said:

Alishar Yergali from Kazakhstan, the guy Bo beat 13-12, made it to the semis at worlds last year where he lost to Sadulaev. Then he lost in the bronze medal match 8 to 5

i'll be damned... i was thick...

bo squeaked by someone who almost medalled once...

what do i owe you?

Maybe Snyder is working on a few new things and not yet comfortable with them? Gradually working them into the mix and needs the competition rather than just the practice room to get them into his arsenal? See now how it goes and then work on finesse and such in the room after the competition.

Is he doing anything that is different from what he has been doing before?

3 minutes ago, WillieBoy said:

Maybe Snyder is working on a few new things and not yet comfortable with them? Gradually working them into the mix and needs the competition rather than just the practice room to get them into his arsenal? See now how it goes and then work on finesse and such in the room after the competition.

Is he doing anything that is different from what he has been doing before?

damn sure not his par terre...