77again

Matteo Pelicone Rome Olympic Ranking Tournament

2 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Real match vs practice is always different. 
Can we just call them doo doo heads and move on.  :)
Whether it was to ensure Snyder gets the placement points because they think he will ultimately be the rep.
Or coaches just said "today's not the day"
or Bo was injured....
or they wanted to save it for the trials.....
Just doesnt matter... they're doo doo heads, they aren't going to tell us, and we'll see it when we see it

Or more likely, Snyder said yeah I'll wrestle you and  Cael  Nickal was like nah I'm good I don't even care about this tourney.

Or Zadick didn't want to relive the Zain/Yianni scenario all over again, but that's doubtful

Edited by bnwtwg
sp

4 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Or more likely, Snyder said yeah I'll wrestle you and  Cael  Nickal was like nah I'm good I don't even care about this tourney.

Or Zadick didn't want to relive the Zain/Yianni scenario all over again, but that's doubtful

I would assume it was a coaches decision.  I'm with you. I mean when you say it out loud of course it was.

Coaches: "I don't want you guys wrestling here"  (likely)
Wrestlers: "I'm not wrestling this guy he's too good" (unlikely)

Cael and his sneaky moves, reminds me of people I don't like because of their sneakiness and lack of consideration for my wants and desires.

Edited by spladle08

3 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Maybe the NLWC didn’t want to relive the Nolf/Cenzo scenario all over again.

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:

I would assume it was a coaches decision.  I'm with you. I mean when you say it out loud of course it was.

Coaches: "I don't want you guys wrestling here"  (likely)
Wrestlers: "I'm not wrestling this guy he's too good" (unlikely)

Cael and his sneaky moves, reminds me of people I don't like because of their sneakiness and lack of consideration for my wants and desires.

Man, Cael really loves Bo. First, they bring Snyder in, knowing Bo is planning on going 97 to avoid having to wrestle Taylor. Now, they are telling Bo to forfeit so Snyder can get the placement points. How much of this is he willing to take? I guess since the word is he is going MMA after this, they don't think he is really committed and don't care about what is in his best interest.

18 minutes ago, Lurker said:

They probably get that evaluation every day in the room...

exactly, in the room. Not on the world stage. No better time to wrestle someone of this caliber than after a loss. Getting pinned!

Edited by DuckFor2

5 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

I guess since the word is he is going MMA after this, they don't think he is really committed and don't care about what is in his best interest.

I've genuinely wondered if he's in this 100%, I mean who am I to speculate at his commitment. but with the MMA thing looming and such large hurdles to be our rep, seems like a bit of a waste of time, and I wonder with Snyder there, if he really does Big Brother Bo in the room,  is Bo just going through the motions halfheartedly?
I'm not saying that is what happening, just throwing out a reasonable string of thought

Edited by spladle08

The question for me is more along the lines of: does Riley Lefever big brother Bo in the room? RL isn’t exactly a slouch. Bo has to know that 97kg isn’t his ideal weight, but he could be NLWC’s 92 guy for the next 3 years after Tokyo if he isn’t making a beeline for MMA this year and if he can compete in the room with Riley.

8 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I've genuinely wondered if he's in this 100%, I mean who am I to speculate at his commitment. but with the MMA thing looming and such large hurdles to be our rep, seems like a bit of a waste of time, and I wonder with Snyder there, if he really does Big Brother Bo in the room,  is Bo just going through the motions halfheartedly?
I'm not saying that is what happening, just throwing out a reasonable string of thought

Nothing wrong with wondering what their thinking is there.  I'm wondering too.  Seems like Olympic Champion would be an "all in or nothing" type commitment.  As with a lot of the folks here, 86kg seems more like the all in type commitment.  I even feel like he would fare very well against Taylor.  Bo's got the type of athleticism that Taylor seems to struggle with (Dake, Cox, & Burroughs).

1 minute ago, pamela said:

The question for me is more along the lines of: does Riley Lefever big brother Bo in the room? RL isn’t exactly a slouch. Bo has to know that 97kg isn’t his ideal weight, but he could be NLWC’s 92 guy for the next 3 years after Tokyo if he isn’t making a beeline for MMA this year and if he can compete in the room with Riley.

He would for sure be the solid 92kg guy, but was it not just Olympics then straight to MMA.
For some reason that has been in my mind as, more or less, set in stone

22 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

exactly, in the room. Not on the world stage. No better time to wrestle someone of this caliber than after a loss. Getting pinned!

I agree room is different than tournament.  But surely you get that one can get a feel for "where you stand" wrestling the guy every day.

19 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah, I don't know. If he truly wanted to be an Olympic champ, you think he'd go 86. Unless he knows there is a 0% chance he gets by Taylor. You'd think he was at least 100% committed at some point, or he could have just jumped to MMA and started his career. Maybe since they brought in Snyder, he found out he can't get by him, either, so he is just going through the motions since he made this 1 year commitment. But beyond getting dominated by the same guy that dominated Snyder and some close, but controlled loses to Cox (at 92), he has still looked pretty damn good for a guy that is WAY undersized.

1 minute ago, Crotalus said:

Yeah, I don't know. If he truly wanted to be an Olympic champ, you think he'd go 86. Unless he knows there is a 0% chance he gets by Taylor. You'd think he was at least 100% committed at some point, or he could have just jumped to MMA and started his career. Maybe since they brought in Snyder, he found out he can't get by him, either, so he is just going through the motions since he made this 1 year commitment. But beyond getting dominated by the same guy that dominated Snyder and some close, but controlled loses to Cox (at 92), he has still looked pretty damn good for a guy that is WAY undersized.

Absolutely, I still think he can adjust (a little better) to the weight and be competitive, as I would still expect him to be competitive with Cox/Taylor.
But I am in the same groove as you with the thought of "does he not think he can beat Taylor, or does he not want to"
86kg was obviously the ideal weight.
I said he would challenge Snyder which he seemingly is.
The forfeit was a curveball.
As was his Consis shootout with Kazakhstan.

I dont know what to think

3 hours ago, The Genius said:

Wow Bo with the last second (literally) TD to win 13-12 in his repechage match vs the Kazakh lol, he's up against Snyder next (hope we see it). 

This was a really fun match to watch and you can catch the replay on Flo. After getting pushed around, tired out and worked for most of the match, Nickal clearly found a weakness in the Kazakh's defense and started hitting a slick duck-under over and over again. He didn't always connect but he connected enough to get it to 11-12 and then converted an ankle pick with about a second or two to go to complete the comeback. Not easy to win a match when you give up a pair of 4 point throws but Bo pulled it off. The difference was ultimately the Kazakh losing a bad early challenge. At 12-12, Bo would have lost on criteria.

3 hours ago, 77again said:

Nickal looked really tired almost for the get go in the Kazak match. A really gutsy win even though he did not look right. No excuses and I would have loved to see the Snyder Nickal match but overall a good tournament for Nickal. 

Mohammadian is the real deal. 

True that Bo looked kind of gassed and mostly outmuscled. He won on technique. I wasn't surprised that he didn't face Snyder. Still need to find the Mohammadian - Nickal match but Mohammadian worked Snyder. Kyle was trying to win with speed and Mohammadian repeatedly used his momentum against him and the last time he caught him, he did it in perfect position to convert the fall.

33 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

He’s just there to collect the NLWC money that is owed to him.

1 minute ago, ugarte said:

Still need to find the Mohammadian - Nickal match but Mohammadian worked Snyder. Kyle was trying to win with speed and Mohammadian repeatedly used his momentum against him and the last time he caught him, he did it in perfect position to convert the fall.

He got ragdolled. Sweep single with super crisp finish for 2. Gutted twice for 4 more. Then taken down quickly and brutally to his back for 4. Probably the most physically dominant match of the whole tournament so far.

Hand up... I totally forgot about Mohammadian.  Don't know why his comeback hadn't registered with me after the Military Games... guess I've been watching too much NCAA and domestic competition.

If the guy that was on the mat today is the same one that shows up in Tokyo, that's cause for concern for all Americans because the 97kg podium is getting awfully crowded, and the draw is going to be crucial.  

Sadulaev
Mohammadian
Sharifov
Snyder (or Cox, if he moves up)

Never seen Snyder tuned up like that, at any level.  And no I don't think it has anything to do with who's coaching him or where he's training.  

edit-- All of that being said, I don't think the loss to Mohammadian is a result that Snyder can't turn around.  He needs to wrestle the match, tactically, much differently. 

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2