Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Cassar - best "one year" wonder?

You may have seen Cassar is officially finished with college wrestling.  He posted a "retirement" on his Instagram.  He will presumably focus on the Olympics and then MMA.  He won't appear in a Penn State singlet any more, which saddens me.

He went from battling (and losing) a start spot at 197 to Rasheed to bulking up and becoming the heavyweight starter unseating his 2x AA Nick Nevills.  He then beat 4x GOAT 1 pfp Steveson twice last year and won a 10-1 major to win the NCAA title.  Then this year he was off to a good start before getting injured at the US Open.

Is this meteoric rise and abrupt retirement the greatest "one year" wonder NCAA career, ever?  I say yes.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Whitmer started for multiple seasons though

Not really-  technically he started some in other years for a while but was behind Mena and Mena took over after Midlands the one year.

Just now, gimpeltf said:

Not really-  technically he started some in other years for a while but was behind Mena and Mena took over after Midlands the one year.

He also says in his initial post that Cassar lost his spot....just like Whitmer. Lol

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I'm sure there are other similar ones but certainly tough to top Cassar's title in his only year as starter.  Will look even better if Gable wins 3.

Not really. True freshman loses to 6th year senior.

18 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

Not really. True freshman loses to 6th year senior.

Cassar was no typical 6th year senior.

Steveson was no typical true freshman.

With that said...

Interesting that Cassar in high school did not qualify for the state tournamnet until his senior year which he won. In college Cassar does not start fulltime until his senior year and wins NCAAs.

10 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Think of all the three timers. Now try and remember who won the year they didn’t.

Well that’d really only talking about guys that went 2 or 3-1-1-1.  How many of those were there?

And then you need to consider the “story” of the guy they lost to. 

Snyder comes to mind with Gadsen, and I think he’ll have a lot of people remember him as the guy that beat Snyder, but he doesn’t have the story of Cassar and was a 3x AA.  Cox was also in the bracket with that also being the only year he didn’t win, so that’s a pretty cool story for Gadsen which I’m sure will be a claim to fame of his for life.

Then there’s Bo, who lost to fellow freshman MyMar, who unfortunately will probably be just as known for not winning last year despite being the heavy favorite.

Not sure who else.  But again, it’s not like Cassar is going to be remembered as an all time great or anything like that, but moreso as an a great story.  

12 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Cassar was no typical 6th year senior.

Steveson was no typical true freshman.

With that said...

Interesting that Cassar in high school did not qualify for the state tournamnet until his senior year which he won. In college Cassar does not start fulltime until his senior year and wins NCAAs.

That is pretty cool.  With this in mind I 100% agree, Cassar is the best 1-year wonder.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Well that’d really only talking about guys that went 2 or 3-1-1-1.  How many of those were there?

And then you need to consider the “story” of the guy they lost to. 

Snyder comes to mind with Gadsen, and I think he’ll have a lot of people remember him as the guy that beat Snyder, but he doesn’t have the story of Cassar and was a 3x AA.  Cox was also in the bracket with that also being the only year he didn’t win, so that’s a pretty cool story for Gadsen which I’m sure will be a claim to fame of his for life.

Then there’s Bo, who lost to fellow freshman MyMar, who unfortunately will probably be just as known for not winning last year despite being the heavy favorite.

Not sure who else.  But again, it’s not like Cassar is going to be remembered as an all time great or anything like that, but moreso as an a great story.  

I guess I should clarify I know Gable still has a long way to go since he doesn’t even have 1 yet...

18 hours ago, yonz_g said:

Derek Moore. Walk-on, one-time CIF State Placer to 1x AA, NCAA Champion, 2007 NCAA OW. All while enrolled in ROTC.

edit: With a tech fall in the NCAA Finals

This is my vote as well. Moore had never placed at NCAAs, and totally blew everyone out of the water as a Sr, including a massive trouncing of the heavily favored #1 seed in the finals. 

24 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

If you mean Jarrod King, he was a 12 seed (they didn't seed past 12 at the time).

Seems ridiculous to seed guys the way they are doing today. 1 to 33? Insane. 

I think we should throw seeding out the window. Just draw names out of a hat and put 'em in the brackets in the order in which they are drawn. Would prevent all the ridiculous ducking we see these days. 

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Seems ridiculous to seed guys the way they are doing today. 1 to 33? Insane. 

You're right it is insane. It could become very sane with an easy solution - change to a 32 man bracket and get rid of the stupid pigtails.