TobusRex

Snyder is living in Cael's basement

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Nobody is mocking his religion.  We are mocking his claim that God is involved in sports outcomes or where he plies his trade.  As if God ha a vested outcome in him being in State College over Columbus.

I didn't see Snyder claim anything other than his belief God wanted him to go to Penn State. People who pray ask God for guidance, a sign, help, call it whatever you want, on what course of action they should take. This sounds like he was praying and looking for direction. 

Not sure why people have to criticize his beliefs. 

I don't think he was dissing anyone.  He just wants to see other perspectives and felt tOSU couldn't provide that anymore.  If you look at his finals wins, they were by tie (win by criteria) in 2015, win by one point in 2016, win by 1 point 2017, lose by pin 2018, bronze in 2019.   He was not as dominating as we all wanted to believe.  He got it done the first three years and then lost ground.  A change in perspective is a good think I think.  Hopefully it will be so for him and he makes it to the finals and beats whoever is there by a good margin.

mspart

53 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I didn't see Snyder claim anything other than his belief God wanted him to go to Penn State. People who pray ask God for guidance, a sign, help, call it whatever you want, on what course of action they should take. This sounds like he was praying and looking for direction. 

At least for myself, I think I am not terribly impressed with the statement because its a vast oversimplification of the idea of god...a lot of the religious arguments people get into are basically over the idea that atheists have dumbed down the idea of god to "invisible person", which is not an accurate perception to a serious and thoughtful religious person...Snyder's statement seems to endorse the atheistic perspective on some level, that god is extremely knowable and has opinions on superficial things like where snyder wrestles...but this is all extremely complex way beyond the capacity of this forum...I think he could have said it better. 

Good lord. Kyle Snyder has done nothing but work his ass off, represent his school and country at the highest level and to the highest degree of accomplishment and sportsmanship, and looked to not be satisfied with one Olympic championship and two world championships, but continue to seek out the best possible path to be his absolute best. And we have all these so called wrestling fans on here at talking s***?  Wow. 

I sympathize with some of you and how miserable your own lives must be to conjure up such a stance. Hopefully you will some day accomplish half as much as you wanted to, and can feel a little better about yourselves. 

Like a few others, I don't think Snyder was criticizing tOSU. He just wanted to get better, and he figured a different perspective would help.

I'm glad he is open-minded enough to get a new perspective. I wish more people would be that open-minded.

Edited by Katie

16 minutes ago, Katie said:

Like a few others, I don't think Snyder was criticizing tOSU. He just wanted to get better, and he figured a different perspective would help.

I'm glad he is open-minded enough to get a new perspective. I wish more people would be that open-minded.

Mat.com forums hall of fame post. 

The hate that people are putting out to Snyder in this thread is outrageous.  How do we know that God isn't a wrestling fan? Tebow no longer plays football and I doubt God thinks watching minor league baseball is entertaining. Let's just say that he is a wrestling fan, given the success that they have had in the past decade, wouldn't it be most likely that God is in fact a PSU fan?  And if he is a PSU fan, then it makes sense that he would want Snyder to train there since the main criticism that PSU has gotten over their long run is that their wrestling club seems more focused on folkstyle than winning freestyle medals.  So I don't really see any issue with anything Snyder has done or said.  

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Bingo! 

Well I think that there’s probably a lot going on in Kyle’s life right now, so I hope that this move and change in environment will help him find his way back to the top of the mountain. 

I'm reading reactions to absurdity, which I think is different from criticism. 

I respect the faith of the devout, and I think it's obviously useful for people like Kyle to focus every decision through the tiny orifice of his faith. He's made a series of great decisions, which led to unprecedented success - some of that success was at least as irrational as his faith, but he believed it and #U¢k¡nG DID IT! I hope he continues to find success! 

That said, for those of us who don't think that our internal dialogue is an intimate, 2-way conversation with the Creator of the Universe, seeing someone profess that every career decision is God's Will is absolutely absurd.

I'm grateful that Kyle's faith is unique. I mean, if everyman's will was internally perceived as God's Will, then we would all do irrational things to each other, and I doubt we would have 7billion people. 

12 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Name them, please.  Also, using Paddy is a stretch considering he is from Ohio and I said having Ohio high school wrestling will still keep them relevant. 

Seth Shumate. Upper weight.  Boom.

I am outta here...

10 hours ago, Lurker said:

Good lord. Kyle Snyder has done nothing but work his ass off, represent his school and country at the highest level and to the highest degree of accomplishment and sportsmanship, and looked to not be satisfied with one Olympic championship and two world championships, but continue to seek out the best possible path to be his absolute best. And we have all these so called wrestling fans on here at talking s***?  Wow. 

I sympathize with some of you and how miserable your own lives must be to conjure up such a stance. Hopefully you will some day accomplish half as much as you wanted to, and can feel a little better about yourselves. 

I don’t think it’s talking sh*t to say that it’s ridiculous for him to say God wanted him to train in a certain location.

13 hours ago, MSU158 said:

You are missing the point.  I am talking about tOSU DI College Wrestling. DEFECTION hurts BADLY, no matter what spin you put on it.  If it were J'Den leaving, no big deal.  Snyder is a totally different story.  He stated he left BECAUSE he couldn't get better at tOSU.  There is NO pouring perfume on that.  J'Den could win Olympic Gold and I don't see how that helps tOSU.  J'Den has consistently won medals anyway.  

Any way you look at it, the loss of Snyder and the gain of J'Den is still a considerable net loss.  Now, I give Ryan credit for doing it, as it was about the best thing he could have done, but it is sort of like getting a couple of takedowns late in the match to stop from losing by Major Decision...............

I think you need a little perspective on KS's statement. Kyle left Ohio State as a 3X World Level Gold Medalist plus a Silver and a bronze in 5 tries.  That is a pretty high level and speaks volumes about Ohio States coaching.  Now granted he feels he needs to make a change to get that incremental improvement that hopefully can get him past Sadulaev.  Will it work? Who knows - but I can understand his feelings on the matter.  I do not think any rational person can see it as an indictment of Ohio St coaching.

I think it's just curiosity for me.  I suspect the words just come out naturally for a faithful person.  But probably not all of the time.  I can't remember, did Snyder say it was God's will to have him lose to Sadulaev to make him a better wrestler and person? 

14 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Pretty wild how many grown men jump at the chance to mock someone’s beliefs and religion. Does Kyle Snyder mock your beliefs? I never see anyone on these threads push there religious beliefs on anyone but always the same group of people just can’t wait to talk smack anytime a wrestler brings up god. You don’t believe fine ,but when you try to mock a man whose one of the best athletes in the world and one the greatest American wrestlers ever because his faith is strong,you might as well slap on a fake nose and some over sized red shoes bc your just a clown.

Some people would say the ones getting clowned are the ones praying to sky gods that have given no evidence whatsoever that they exist. 

14 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Pretty wild how many grown men jump at the chance to mock someone’s beliefs and religion. Does Kyle Snyder mock your beliefs? I never see anyone on these threads push there religious beliefs on anyone but always the same group of people just can’t wait to talk smack anytime a wrestler brings up god. You don’t believe fine ,but when you try to mock a man whose one of the best athletes in the world and one the greatest American wrestlers ever because his faith is strong,you might as well slap on a fake nose and some over sized red shoes bc your just a clown.

Some people would say the ones getting clowned are the ones praying to sky gods that have given no evidence whatsoever that they exist. 

14 hours ago, VakAttack said:

If God is doing the recruiting, I think Cael's rep really takes a hit.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t think it’s talking sh*t to say that it’s ridiculous for him to say God wanted him to train in a certain location.

Well couple things about that. One...there’s been just a liiiiiitle more than that said. Two, it’s ridiculous because you have a different belief system. As do I, I believe god doesn’t care at all where he trains.  But that’s his belief system and....well I mean his belief system has worked out pretty well for him in his young life. So I find it pretty hard to see how it’s ridiculous. 

As soon as any athlete in the wrestling community mentions God or faith there’s a contingent of posters on this board that immediately go into mocking mode. In my own experience that’s probably due to insecurity in their own beliefs. Who cares if Snyder feels called by God or Allah or Buddha or any other deity to be in a certain place? Obviously that’s his beliefs and it’s worked out well for him in his life so far. Hopping on an internet message board to fire up those witty keyboard quips about a mans beliefs is about as lame as it gets. 

I’m all for legitimate criticisms of wrestlers and discussions on here, but mocking someone for their faith is immature. 

6 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

As soon as any athlete in the wrestling community mentions God or faith there’s a contingent of posters on this board that immediately go into mocking mode. In my own experience that’s probably due to insecurity in their own beliefs. Who cares if Snyder feels called by God or Allah or Buddha or any other deity to be in a certain place? Obviously that’s his beliefs and it’s worked out well for him in his life so far. Hopping on an internet message board to fire up those witty keyboard quips about a mans beliefs is about as lame as it gets. 

I’m all for legitimate criticisms of wrestlers and discussions on here, but mocking someone for their faith is immature. 

Nuh-Uh!