Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlingfan1997

Roman bravo young

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

That the match was highly competitive. 

See, I really didn't see it that way.  What I saw was, EVERY time RBY got in on any offense, DeSanto straight up MANHANDLED him.  He looked like he was about 17x's stronger than him and damn near ripped his head off after whizzering him down on those single legs and then transitioning to those side headlocks.  

Feel free to be optimistic, that is what being a fan is all about.  But, I would temper those expectations if those highlights make you think he was "close" to DeSanto.......

4 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

See, I really didn't see it that way.  What I saw was, EVERY time RBY got in on any offense, DeSanto straight up MANHANDLED him.  He looked like he was about 17x's stronger than him and damn near ripped his head off after whizzering him down on those single legs and then transitioning to those side headlocks.  

Feel free to be optimistic, that is what being a fan is all about.  But, I would temper those expectations if those highlights make you think he was "close" to DeSanto.......

Not shocked, you are a huge Iowa fan and see things thru that Hawkeye lens. Your posts over at HR are indicative of your Iowa fandom. That is fine.

I will agree with you that Desanto is stronger, but that does not mean he would always win. Kilgore was stronger than Quentin Wright. Gabe Dean stronger than Bo Nickal. Bo Jordan stronger than Mark Hall. You get the point.

The opposite take on that match is that had period 1 been a split second longer RBY gets 2 points. The sequence with 1:19 left in period 3 is ultra close to an RBY takedown. Those final seconds could have played out much differently. 

Desanto should still be favored, but thinking RBY has no chance, if anyone believes that, seems off.

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Not shocked, you are a huge Iowa fan and see things thru that Hawkeye lens. Your posts over at HR are indicative of your Iowa fandom. That is fine.

I will agree with you that Desanto is stronger, but that does not mean he would always win. Kilgore was stronger than Quentin Wright. Gabe Dean stronger than Bo Nickal. Bo Jordan stronger than Mark Hall. You get the point.

The opposite take on that match is that had period 1 been a split second longer RBY gets 2 points. The sequence with 1:19 left in period 3 is ultra close to an RBY takedown. Those final seconds could have played out much differently. 

Desanto should still be favored, but thinking RBY has no chance, if anyone believes that, seems off.

That is funny.  Go over there and ask them that.  I probably have the least Iowa bias on the site out of anyone that is truly an Iowa fan and not trolling.   You do realize I got into some rather heated arguments saying Joseph is better than Marinelli even after Marinelli beat him, right?  

Styles make strength matter or matter not at all.  DeSanto's style clashes so well with RBY that it augments it.  In the case of Kilgore and Wright, it played right into Wright's strength(and it helped that Wright was simply a better wrestler).  As far as Dean/Nickal goes, I give that an incomplete based on Dean being far from 100% at that NCAA Tournament.....

Dude, DeSanto STOPPED wrestling as time expired.  That kind of stuff happens at the end of periods ALL THE TIME.  There is NO WAY RBY gets a go behind that easy if DeSanto is still trying.

Every time RBY got close on single legs DeSanto thrashed him.  If they didn't go flying into that table, he would have again.

Trust me, Iowa fandom, or fandom of any kind for that matter, has nothing to do with my takeaways from that match up.  Physically, that was as man vs. boy as it gets.  Unless RBY has impoved his actualy physical strength significantly, he will NEVER beat DeSanto.  Hell, even if he does, DeSanto has visibly improved from last season.

10 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

You have got to stop pointing out fan bias in other people. You don't know anything about wrestling accept who you are cheering for.

3 minutes ago, PASLP2 said:

Quality wrestlers will close the gap with Desanto during their second match-up with him, if history tells us anything. 

Define quality wrestlers?  Because if you are going Micic, Suriano, Gross and RBY, which one doesn't belong with the others?  RBY is more in the category of Gomez or even Lizak(which is a stretch) and they went from winning to losing their last match to DeSanto, with one by a large margin.  

11 minutes ago, PASLP2 said:

Quality wrestlers will close the gap with Desanto during their second match-up with him, if history tells us anything. 

This is generic statement that applies to Desanto way less than 90% of wrestlers. Is style is really straightforward, its not like you need to steal his feel, its not so easy to plan away his gas tank, and he is noticably improved in all positions. 

5 minutes ago, PASLP2 said:

However, RBY did meet the criteria for closing the gap during their second match-up, which was much closer than most will admit.  

Let me fix this for you:

Match 1:  12-8 DeSanto

Match 2: 7-2 DeSanto

Much less closer than what some "want" it to have been.  In fact 7-2 is inarguably further away than 12-8.........

You are correct.  Their score was closer the first time, but overall tone of the match was closer at ncaa.  You win this round.  I’m your best nightmare MSU158, I mean I’m your worst nightmare.  This year, I’m sticking with the match being closer (score ;) IF they wrestle in the tournament. Second and Third match-ups typically favor a closer match in general.  

50 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

That is funny.  Go over there and ask them that.  I probably have the least Iowa bias on the site out of anyone that is truly an Iowa fan and not trolling.   You do realize I got into some rather heated arguments saying Joseph is better than Marinelli even after Marinelli beat him, right?  

Styles make strength matter or matter not at all.  DeSanto's style clashes so well with RBY that it augments it.  In the case of Kilgore and Wright, it played right into Wright's strength(and it helped that Wright was simply a better wrestler).  As far as Dean/Nickal goes, I give that an incomplete based on Dean being far from 100% at that NCAA Tournament.....

Dude, DeSanto STOPPED wrestling as time expired.  That kind of stuff happens at the end of periods ALL THE TIME.  There is NO WAY RBY gets a go behind that easy if DeSanto is still trying.

Every time RBY got close on single legs DeSanto thrashed him.  If they didn't go flying into that table, he would have again.

Trust me, Iowa fandom, or fandom of any kind for that matter, has nothing to do with my takeaways from that match up.  Physically, that was as man vs. boy as it gets.  Unless RBY has impoved his actualy physical strength significantly, he will NEVER beat DeSanto.  Hell, even if he does, DeSanto has visibly improved from last season.

Not to derail this thread, but I have seen your posting history there and am not naive. I have seen your commentary both ways there, and I also know you get offended being referred to as an Iowa fan despite the fact that is where you live on wrestling boards when not posting here. You should just own it the way I own my PSU fandom. That would be more intellectually honest. 

Your are basically claiming RBY can't sniff a TD unless Desanto quits wrestling. Well, at least you are on record. 

You guys don't understand Reality.

Cael is secretly feeding him Heber City, UT Fry Sauce to toughen him up. This will give him super powers so he can take down anyone on the mat. Wait til the Tournament and see - by then he may even be eating Jalapeno Fry Sauce!

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Desanto never stops wrestling, even when time expires or they go out of bounds.

23 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

What's even funnier is that RBY took Desanto down 2x in the third period of their first match, the second of which, while not a go behind, is generated by that same type of side to side movement that occurred in the situation we are discussing. To act like RBY taking Desanto down is an impossibility so long as Dersanto is "trying" is not accurate. 

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Not to derail this thread, but I have seen your posting history there and am not naive. I have seen your commentary both ways there, and I also know you get offended being referred to as an Iowa fan despite the fact that is where you live on wrestling boards when not posting here. You should just own it the way I own my PSU fandom. That would be more intellectually honest. 

Your are basically claiming RBY can't sniff a TD unless Desanto quits wrestling. Well, at least you are on record. 

I have said I am an Iowa fan.  Hell, I have even detailed why I am and when I became one.  I just am not a super, psycho diehard like you are.  I try very hard to not let any fan type influence cloud my opinion of the wrestling I watch or the predictions I make.

I am not saying the RBY can't get a takedown.  Hell there is NO wrestler I would say can't be taken down by any DI wrestler.  I am simply saying that DeSanto defended RBY VERY WELL in that particular match and that I believe DeSanto is considerably ahead of where he was last year, which was still considerably ahead of where RBY was last year.

So, to "at least be on record" RBY will have to have improved a LOT to be able to beat DeSanto this season.

56 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Cute.  However, if that were true in that match RBY would probably have been considerably more hurt when he went into that scoring table then what he was.  That match was at NCAA's if you remember and it seemed like DeSanto was paying especially close attention to avoiding any extracurriculars, especially those after the whistle........