Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Iowa has 0 Iowan starters

My buddy has a 9 year wrestling in club in Pittsburgh. It's a year round thing. No wonder 5 starters Iowa.

I told him has be careful you don't burn fun out if . Got to be funnnnnnn.

But results are obvious.

On 1/15/2020 at 2:34 PM, unbiased said:

You said it yourself, it's not relevant. Iowa may have the best fans and most knowledgeable fans but they don't have the talent.

Sorry, but Oklahoma wrestling fans beat Iowa types any day you want to name.

I am circling back to this thread, and I admit I have not read it, but this observation makes me wonder if Cael had stayed at Iowa State, and kept pulling in guys like the David Taylors, Bo Nickals, from states NOT Pennsylvania, would there have been far more parity during those early PSU championship team runs and would we eventually be seeing Cael pulling the PA kids west to the flat lands of Iowa? Of course we will never know, but it has to have crossed some minds far greater than the clunker in this guy's skull.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:46 PM, Plasmodium said:

I cant speak for quality, but iowa has oklahoma beat with quantity.  And a whole bunch of the okie fans are on borrowed time.

I'm no Iowa fan, per se, but their fans travel exceptionally well and make the sport really fun at live events where the Hawks compete. The sport is fortunate to have them.

On 1/21/2020 at 4:57 AM, Marcus Cisero said:

Pennsylvania is the best wrestling state. No questions, ifs, ands, or buts: it simply is the best. 

Does this ever actually get argued? I see this stated all the time on forums, twitter, etc. but am left wondering if anyone actually disagrees with this.

51 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Does this ever actually get argued? I see this stated all the time on forums, twitter, etc. but am left wondering if anyone actually disagrees with this.

The historical results at the D1 level speak for themselves, and those PA kids for the Hawkeyes certainly were not walk-ons. Every college coach in the country wants PA wrestlers.

However, I suspect the New Jersey crowd will point to the 2019 NCAA finals for the foreseeable future. They had a banner year, without question.

The debate of which state has better HS wrestlers between Iowa and Oklahoma, may vary from time to time. And maybe which team has the more serious dedicate fans.

But as to which state has better casual fans:

When I have traveled to the states for wrestling, Usually NCAA championships, it seems like everyone in the state of Iowa knows what the sport is and what is going on.

If you drive to OKCIty on I-44, no one at a gas station or restaurant has a clue. And of course when you get to the city, and try to find a place to eat between session ending 2-3:00 PM and the one starting 6-7:00, it is a real challenge, every time, 

On 1/15/2020 at 1:15 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Kinda crazy.  Almost all of their best wrestlers are from Pennsylvania and Illinois.

PA: Lee, DeSanto, Teasdale, Murin, Young, Kemerer

Illinois: Warner, Assad, Cassiopi

And Marinelli is from Ohio.

What does that say about the state of Iowa's in-state wrestling talent?

How did you get Teasdale into this conversation about Iowa's starters?  The other guy you a looking for is Pat Lugo - He is from FL although he spent a couple of years in PA @ Edinboro prior to heading to Iowa.

This got me thinking about my Alma Mater.  Without researching, Army always had starters from PA and OH since I was there.  In the past decade, the PA and OH talent are national names.  It seems like the Indiana recruits Army gets end up being nationally ranked (Fernando Martinez, Harveys, McCormick), so Army is good with plucking the right talent from that state.

Oddly enough, NY is not a pipeline state and have faced challenges to start at Army.  Aside from Cornell, I think lack of a NY pipeline to USMA is attributed to there being a plethora of DIII schools in NYS offering great educational opportunities and the drop in volume of elite NY talent.  

Speaking of Army and Iowa, I thought Army was starting a good IL pipeline with Ogunsanya, Hartman, and Assad.  Assad was interested in Army and even told Hartman to put in a good word for him.  Another state title and 2 championships in Akron he realized how good he was.  Had Assad come to Army, he would be in the prep school at the same time as Navy Prep's David Key.  That would have been 5 years of seeing Assad against Key every year in a dual.  I am not bitter, he went where he wanted to go, I just feel cheated from not seeing what could have been a great rivalry (Assad, Key).        

On 1/15/2020 at 1:44 PM, BHawk91 said:

I think it says a lot about the recruiting team that Brands has put together.  While I wasn’t the biggest Morningstar fan as a wrestler I do believe he is an excellent recruiter and to be able to pull those guys away from PA and Marinelli from Ohio has to make him one of the better recruiters in college wrestling.

Is the real recruiter Morningstar/Brands Bros or is is Jody Strittmatter?

15 hours ago, Cptafw164 said:

This got me thinking about my Alma Mater.  Without researching, Army always had starters from PA and OH since I was there.  In the past decade, the PA and OH talent are national names.  It seems like the Indiana recruits Army gets end up being nationally ranked (Fernando Martinez, Harveys, McCormick), so Army is good with plucking the right talent from that state.

Oddly enough, NY is not a pipeline state and have faced challenges to start at Army.  Aside from Cornell, I think lack of a NY pipeline to USMA is attributed to there being a plethora of DIII schools in NYS offering great educational opportunities and the drop in volume of elite NY talent.  

Speaking of Army and Iowa, I thought Army was starting a good IL pipeline with Ogunsanya, Hartman, and Assad.  Assad was interested in Army and even told Hartman to put in a good word for him.  Another state title and 2 championships in Akron he realized how good he was.  Had Assad come to Army, he would be in the prep school at the same time as Navy Prep's David Key.  That would have been 5 years of seeing Assad against Key every year in a dual.  I am not bitter, he went where he wanted to go, I just feel cheated from not seeing what could have been a great rivalry (Assad, Key).        

Sorry to go off topic but is McCormick the son of the Army wrestler with the same name from the mid 80"s?

On 1/23/2020 at 4:50 AM, pennsyrules said:

Sorry to go off topic but is McCormick the son of the Army wrestler with the same name from the mid 80"s?

I don’t know for sure, but I haven’t heard that.  

On 1/21/2020 at 12:56 AM, Tofurky said:

I am circling back to this thread, and I admit I have not read it, but this observation makes me wonder if Cael had stayed at Iowa State, and kept pulling in guys like the David Taylors, Bo Nickals, from states NOT Pennsylvania, would there have been far more parity during those early PSU championship team runs and would we eventually be seeing Cael pulling the PA kids west to the flat lands of Iowa? Of course we will never know, but it has to have crossed some minds far greater than the clunker in this guy's skull.

If Cael had stayed at ISU the Cyclones would've won 5 or 6 NCAA team titles by now, minimum. I have no doubt whatsoever. 

Edited by TobusRex

On 1/17/2020 at 6:08 PM, cangemi said:

My buddy has a 9 year wrestling in club in Pittsburgh. It's a year round thing. No wonder 5 starters Iowa.

I told him has be careful you don't burn fun out if . Got to be funnnnnnn.

But results are obvious.

In PA, it starts at 6 now.  Some kid in head to toe camo and a red dyed mohawk and a cheesy singlet with flames on it is out to kill your upper middle class kid.

In the suburbs of Pittsburgh, it's even tougher now.

Edited by Boompa

12 hours ago, TobusRex said:

If Cael had stayed at ISU the Cyclones would've won 5 or 6 NCAA team titles by now, minimum. I have no doubt whatsoever. 

And if Koll would've got the PSU job, he would have a few too.

On 1/23/2020 at 5:49 AM, pennsyrules said:

Is the real recruiter Morningstar/Brands Bros or is is Jody Strittmatter?

Jody has to be getting some HWC bucks at this point, minus Desanto.

23 hours ago, ionel said:

nah 

People automatically assume that recruits like Megaludis, Retherford, Nolf and Joseph would've gone to ISU and there is zero basis to that.  Koll would've had Ruth, Molinaro and Wright to start off and how many Cornell transfers right out of the gate?  I can guarantee you that Dake would've followed (and probably redshirted).  Unless a super star coach takes over Cornell (like Dake), Cornell is going to drop significantly after Koll steps down.

Out of Mega, Retherford, Nolf and Joseph, I think 1 or 2 would've ended up at Cornell if things stayed the same at PSU, maybe 1 or 2 still would've went to PSU.

The only other programs that had a shot from that crew were Iowa and tOSU and the only 2 that would've considered Iowa are Mega and Nolf with the Strittmatter connection.  Joseph's coach was Abe, a PSU guy.

Edited by Boompa

I have no idea why people get so hung up on where a university's student athletes are originally from.  When I was recruiting, of course I recruited in-state kids, but I also targeted people all over.  I didn't care where they were from as long as they met the criteria of a good student athlete, responsible and willing to buy into the program.  Of course we missed on some, but state lines have nothing to do with it.  I don't understand the whole "But iowa has PA kids".  Yep...because....PA has very high caliber wrestling talent.  

I very rarely see people getting hung up on this with football or basketball. You think all of the talent that UNC, KU or Duke produces in basketball were all bred there?  

It's almost as if fans want to hang their own successes on a kid that came from the same state.  We should be cheering these guys on regardless of where they came from for #1 - going to college and #2 picking the college of THEIR choice.  We have no idea what drove them to a particular school, and frankly it's none of our business.