Sign in to follow this  
DenverWrestler

Maryland Wrestling

Indiana, mich. St. , Maryland programs were thrown to the dogs ,for several years by their respective AD’s. But nice to see the positive changes for these programs.  Come to think of it, any change , period,for theses programs was a positive. They were down so low.  

If you watch them compete you can see the improvement. Even in their losses (individually, and as a team) you can see the improvement. 

I believe they can become somewhat competitive in time. Somewhere in line with what youve seen from Lock haven. Top 20-15 team with AAs here and there and a solid number of qualifiers. I think that would be great and is completely realistic down the road. 

9 minutes ago, iGranby said:

If you watch them compete you can see the improvement. Even in their losses (individually, and as a team) you can see the improvement. 

I believe they can become somewhat competitive in time. Somewhere in line with what youve seen from Lock haven. Top 20-15 team with AAs here and there and a solid number of qualifiers. I think that would be great and is completely realistic down the road. 

Interesting that you noted the improvement despite the fact the Terps are losing. I remember a HS that started a program my FR year. They were in our conference so we competed with them. Every year they got a little better and by the time I graduated they had a kid that placed at state. Pretty amazing to watch, a program improving.  Unfortunately I wasn't all that familiar with the Terps wrestling program so it's cool hearing the perspective of someone who is noting their improvement. A guy just looking at wrestlestat probably thinks they just stink and won't get any better. 

Edited by TobusRex

18 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Interesting that you noted the improvement despite the fact the Terps are losing. I remember a HS that started a program my FR year. They were in our conference so we competed with them. Every year they got a little better and by the time I graduated they had a kid that placed at state. Pretty amazing to watch, a program improving.  Unfortunately I wasn't all that familiar with the Terps wrestling program so it's cool hearing the perspective of someone who is noting their improvement. A guy just looking at wrestlestat probably thinks they just stink and won't get any better. 

they look and compete much much better then the previous few seasons, seems like there has been a definite attitude change with a lot of there guys

I know we have to give Clemsen time to build, but is he really the answer?

You got to think that a lot of people will call it quits after the 2020 cycle, and a big name hiring could (burroughs, Molinaro, etc.) could be exactly what this program needs to turn around. 

You don't think Jordan or Frank would be able to pull recruits there and build it into something? Very close to jersey, and they both have the roots.

Jordan Burroughs would never take that job, so it's a non-starter. 

Just about every program after a complete coaching staff change has a super rough first year, happens time and time again.  Hahn with SDSU and Dresser with Iowa State are recent examples.  Clemsen needs more than half a season to prove himself. 

Edited by Gantry

19 minutes ago, Lurie92 said:

You got to think that a lot of people will call it quits after the 2020 cycle, and a big name hiring could (burroughs, Molinaro, etc.) could be exactly what this program needs to turn around. 

You don't think Jordan or Frank would be able to pull recruits there and build it into something? Very close to jersey, and they both have the roots.

I think Clemsen and staff have shown the ability to make guys better immediately.The effort has been much improved. Michigan St dual the effort was poor but it was the first time all year that I noticed poor effort.Guys are pulling some upsets and showing flashes of being good.157 Jones has beat Parks CMU and Rahmani Pitt.174 Spadofora beat Harvey Army.197 Smith beat Pagano Rutgers and Stout Pitt.And at 133 Sandoval beat NCAA Qualifier Joint Fresno St.Not that Maryland is winning duals but if you take a deep dive into results they're improving

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Jordan Burroughs would never take that job, so it's a non-starter. 

Just about every program after a complete coaching staff change has a super rough first year, happens time and time again.  Hahn with SDSU and Dresser with Iowa State are recent examples.  Clemsen needs more than half a season to prove himself

This. If an Athletic Director is evaluating a coach based on a half-season's performance, their University President needs to re-evaluate whether that Athletic Director belongs in that role.

Forget looking at the scores. And I know it's sometimes hard to find matches but if you go and actually look at the matches they are immensely improved. Unbelievably improved. Some of those guys last year I don't think could have beaten some decent, not great, high school wrestlers.

31 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Forget looking at the scores. And I know it's sometimes hard to find matches but if you go and actually look at the matches they are immensely improved. Unbelievably improved. Some of those guys last year I don't think could have beaten some decent, not great, high school wrestlers.

im not trying to knock the improvement, but ive been saying this for a while... you are going to have a lot star athletes be done competing after this cycle.

Mckoy definitely wasn't working, but they may have wanted him there for this season and score a Frank, JB, etc. after this Olympic cycle.... a lot easier said then done.

38 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Agree 100% .I have no ties to Maryland at all I just like to pay attention to programs after a change.Clemsen seems to be have got the guys to buy in which is huge 6 months in

Gonna take some patience from  the Maryland faithful as Clemson rights this ship.  After a short 6 months he has his guys buying into the culture change and wrestling hard, IMO it will take at least 3 years to get to the middle tier of the big10. Needs to persuade some blue chippers to come to Maryland to be “THE guy” rather than going to Iowa,Penn St, or Ohio st and being “a guy” 

I don’t know if Maryland will ever reach that top tier but I really hope Clemson is given the time it’s gonna take to build and execute his plan. Clemsen is a man you want in your corner

21 hours ago, Lurie92 said:

You have to give Clemsen  time. I’ve been to many Maryland duals in person. The team wrestles far better now. They wrestle to win. The Jahi Jones incident was unfortunate, but nobody cared enough in the past to do that. Jahi felt a ton of pressure and it got the best of him, but it demonstrates the team attitude. 

JB has consistently said he has no interest in coaching. I don’t think any of those guys would be ready to be a head coach yet. Maybe an assistant and focus on grooming into a head coach? Not sure wha the best path is for the guys who are retiring after 2020

6 minutes ago, southend said:

The coach change was needed . This was a given.  Anything from there is a positive. When down so long, a lot of ADs don’t understand, wrestling, 9.9 scholarships, will take years to be a contender, if ever again.  

Hudson Taylor would seem a natural for Maryland HC

19 hours ago, Lurie92 said:

im not trying to knock the improvement, but ive been saying this for a while... you are going to have a lot star athletes be done competing after this cycle.

Mckoy definitely wasn't working, but they may have wanted him there for this season and score a Frank, JB, etc. after this Olympic cycle.... a lot easier said then done.

I get that Frank is a much bigger name than Clemson, at least as a wrestler, but I don't see him as a "big name" that will draw in big time recruits. And he has no coaching experience. Maryland is not going to bring in a JB, Taylor, or Dake type of name, so Clemson is definitely a solid choice, given he has proven himself as a top assistant. And if he doesn't work out, maybe you can get Snyder when he leaves his shoes on the mat. As he is from Maryland, that would be the only way I see a big name coming in. But it would also take a big time commitment from the school, that they probably won't make.