Jump to content
Crash

Matteo Pelicone Rome -- Saturday Thread

Recommended Posts

Colon with awesome turns off his defense.  Very tricky.  Up 8-6 v Ukraine ... and a pin for Colon!!!  

downey winning vs Dieringer 1-0 going into 2nd.  1-1 after shot clock.  2-1 Dieringer with step out.  Dier with elbow pass to single to step out.  3-1.  Downey award point for Dier fleeing.  Over 3-2 Dieringer.  Credit to Downey.  Didn’t see much offense but still.  Was in that match.

Edited by nom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gilman gives a perfect example why he will NEVER be a force in Senior Men's Freestyle wrestling. Despicable. An entire period spent trying to avoid any action, either his or Fix's. That ref should have dinged him again in the second period.
1. He's a senior world level silver medalist. So....good one?

2. He was in on two attacks that Fix slithered out of.

3. Literally the only way Fix scores on him is from Gilman's attacks. Be mad that Fix can't generate his own offense.

4. He was presenting throughout. Defensive, sure, but not passive by the International definition.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

1. He's a senior world level silver medalist. So....good one?

2. He was in on two attacks that Fix slithered out of.

3. Literally the only way Fix scores on him is from Gilman's attacks. Be mad that Fix can't generate his own offense.

4. He was presenting throughout. Defensive, sure, but not passive by the International definition.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
 

Thank God Spencer Lee will be coming through the pipeline. Gilman is the most boring wrestler in the world. He's mean, petty, loves to club the head repeatedly, and generates no offense.  It will be a happy day when Lee takes him down and he retires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oliver back to the shove routine.  But it works sometimes ... just got a TD.  3-0 with a shot clock pt.  VS Ukraine.  Damn, missed it.  7-0 Oliver ...  Oliver with some good D .. avoids a TD.  Wins 7-0!!

Bajrang up 3-0.  Shuptar defense was amazing at end of 1st to avoid another TD.   Shup beat Iran last round.  Now 5-0.  Now 5-3 with  nice TD and then step out.  15 sec to go.  Now 5-4 - 5 sec.  a challenge ??  Lost.  6-4.  Bajrang wins.
 

Gomez 0-0.  Down 0-3.  

Edited by nom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thank God Spencer Lee will be coming through the pipeline. Gilman is the most boring wrestler in the world. He's mean, petty, loves to club the head repeatedly, and generates no offense.  It will be a happy day when Lee takes him down and he retires.
He scored 23 points in his first two matches.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are all semifinals.  So Zain is pulled back in.

Dake vs Turkey.  Wow, guy got behind Dake.  No TD.  Has a cool technique he is hitting.  Able to get angles and hop around the corner.  Dake is not letting it happen but it is close sometimes.   1-0 Dake off TD attempt to step out.  2nd period ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pa in taiwan said:

Thank God Spencer Lee will be coming through the pipeline. Gilman is the most boring wrestler in the world. He's mean, petty, loves to club the head repeatedly, and generates no offense.  It will be a happy day when Lee takes him down and he retires.

Lee is the future (sorry, Fix fans) but did you just start watching freestyle? Your judgments of his character are fine since they’re your opinions but Gilman pretty much has no way to score but to generate offense. He rarely turns anyone and his D is mostly just really D and not short offense or counter offense. 

Gilman and Fix will almost always look like that. They know each other very well and Fix isn’t exactly a gunslinger himself against better guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dake looking gassed again. Serious question: Do you think he has a chance against a Sidakov? a Chamizo? I think JB will still be able to beat this version of Dake handily. Too many people don't seem to understand how much the cut takes out of a wrestler. It has had a huge effect on Dake, and I predict that if J'den goes at 86kg, it will have a huge effect on him as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dake pretty much always 'looks' gassed.  I'm sure the cut is having an effect but give him a chance to grow into it....what exactly is he supposed to do, just say sorry not going to try for the Olympics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Lee is the future (sorry, Fix fans) but did you just start watching freestyle? Your judgments of his character are fine since they’re your opinions but Gilman pretty much has no way to score but to generate offense. He rarely turns anyone and his D is mostly just really D and not short offense or counter offense. 

Gilman and Fix will almost always look like that. They know each other very well and Fix isn’t exactly a gunslinger himself against better guys. 

I've seen their matches before and I'm unimpressed by both of them. Fix has been a huge disappointment in men's freestyle wrestling, and I am certainly not a fan. Gilman got a silver in 2017 and hasn't performed very well since then. We've seen the Gilman antics for years, and it will be nice to see some fresh air when Spencer Lee moves into the 57kg spot. The Gilman club is just that: it's a club. It's not a set-up, and I've never seen him transition directly into an offensive shot from it. It's a tough guy club, a punch in a wrestling match. I hope that Lee is able to win his title at NCAAs and make the fast transition to win the spot for the 2020 Olympics.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pa in taiwan said:

I've seen their matches before and I'm unimpressed by both of them. Fix has been a huge disappointment in men's freestyle wrestling, and I am certainly not a fan. Gilman got a silver in 2017 and hasn't performed very well since then. We've seen the Gilman antics for years, and it will be nice to see some fresh air when Spencer Lee moves into the 57kg spot. The Gilman club is just that: it's a club. It's not a set-up, and I've never seen him transition directly into an offensive shot from it. It's a tough guy club, a punch in a wrestling match. I hope that Lee is able to win his title at NCAAs and make the fast transition to win the spot for the 2020 Olympics.  

I’m not as rough on Fix but clearly he’s not the answer either. Like you, I’m hoping Lee is. 

Thr club is Gilman’s best setup. His patented club right, sweep single left is one of the best TDs out there. Low risk high percentage, hard to defend when he gets it deep. His problem is he doesn’t have something else so everyone who’s wrestled him knows it’s coming. We are a nation of clubbers. JB is the captain. Zain almost knocked McKenna out in his win with a 1-2 club combo. Come on. You are not being objective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nom said:

Pa in Taiwan - go back in history.  Dake has fairly consistently wrestled tight matches.  Relax.  He has a more than 2 months to get further comfortable at the weight.

2018 World Champion Dake at 79 kg.: tech, tech, tech, Hasanov (Win: 2-0) The last one was a close match.

2019 World Champion Dake at 79 kg. tech, (W: 5-1), (W: 6-1), Hasanov (Win: 4-2) The last one was a close match.

2020 Dake at 74 kg., at a ranking tournament that is so much less competitive than worlds that they shouldn't be compared:

W: 5-1, tech, W: 3-1

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pa in taiwan said:

That's unfortunate. It's also not really accurate, as there are a lot of quality US guys that don't club, J'den, Nickal, Yanni, Snyder

Obviously I was being a little facetious but when two of your six Olympic starters are practically boxers some of the time, and that doesn’t include Gilman, who would make it half the team, I’m not that far off even in jest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...